PDA

View Full Version : Where would you move if you could?

SherryZoned
06-26-2010, 06:09 PM
I am on the lookout for a state that I can call home.

I was born and partly raised in West Virginia. I still have so many relatives there but I do not ever plan on going back to live there. Then I lived in Michigan for 14 years with a stint in Virginia for 3 months. I have absolutely no plans to go back to either one of those states.

I have thought of Colorado, Washington (the rain is my holdup), Alabama near Mobile but now with the Oil Spill I have lost all interest. So my next thought was the Twin Cities of Minnesota! I am so done with Texas and the heat! We do not have the money to move right now but someday I am moving out of here..

What are your thoughts on where you would go?
Feel free to give me thoughts on Minnesota since that state is my new move obsession.

hockeymom
06-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Oh a post after my own heart!

I grew up in Northern California, but have absolutely no interest in returning there. From there I moved to Ohio, then to Colorado, then to St. Paul Minnesota, out to Oregon for a brief stint, back to Minnesota, back to Ohio, and now I live on the east coast of Canada. Yeah, I'd say we have a serious case of wanderlust!

But, Canada is not home for us, even though we hoped it would be and we spent several years trying to get here. We are tired of moving around all the time and want to put down roots, but this is not the place. Instead, we are hoping to move back to the States, to New England and ideally (though maybe not realistically) to Maine. Ohio is sort of home; it is where my DH grew up mostly, it's where we bought our first home together and had our son, it's where our good friends are. But, I need to be near the sea and we love all things New England (well, not the traffic in Boston!) and Maine is where we currently spend nearly all our vacation time. I cannot imagine living far from there again. The culture suits us, the climate suits us and certainly the geography suits us. I can envision calling it home, and for us, that says something.

I wish I could give you more information on the Twin Cities, but it's been a long since we moved away. We loved the outdoors in Minnesota--there is fantastic green belt around the cities and Lake Superior isn't far away. We also loved the winters although the summers can be brutally hot. For you, coming from Texas, summers there might not be so bad! :) Both Minneapolis and St. Paul were sort of coming into their own about the time we left. We used to own a coffeehouse there and in the beginning it was a tough sell being from away, but I think a lot of that provincial thinking has changed now (and too, we were tucked in an older neighborhood and not in a trendy section of either city). We met so many wonderful people there and found certain communities very welcoming. We particularly loved the outdoors opportunities--camping, hiking, backpacking, skiing, canoeing--all within such a short distance. In the winters you can ski on the golf courses, and of course hockey is big so that's always a bonus! :)

I'm curious about the draw for you. What makes Minnesota exciting in your mind?

SherryZoned
06-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Well.. Llewellyn publishing is there LOL.. Mainly I know that the exhusband could maybe find a job in the Twin Cities.. Living between Dallas and Fort worth now he has jobs.. I like the cold, i like the outdoors part of it.. I don't know.. LOL Just someplace to go. I have thought of New England myself but I have never been there. Always wanted to go see Maine! Always seems so far away!

Melyssa
06-26-2010, 07:40 PM
I was raised in ND for 18 years. I do NOT recommend that state. At all. I couldn't get away fast enough and have no regrets about leaving and never going back. LOL

I lived 11 years in southern California, in Orange County. LOVED IT! I would move back in a heartbeat. Great weather, tons of things to do, close to ocean and mountains if you want...just lots of diversity and did I mention the weather?!

Then I lived 12 years near Denver, Colorado. I never got used to Colorado. I tried to like it, just couldn't do it. I felt landlocked and the climate sucks. It's sooo arid. It ruined my hair and skin. Don't underestimate how dry it is there and it's only pretty in the mountains. Everywhere else is flat, brown and pretty plain. It just was not for me.

Now we're near Seattle, Washington. I love it here. We've been for 9 months and already it has Denver beat as far as I'm concerned. It's close to the coast, I love being near an ocean again. The air is pure and fresh (Colorado was not) and there is tons to do here, lots of diversity, and it's gorgeous! I did notice the southern part of the state resembles Colorado though. I like it up here north of Seattle. It's so lush and green and beautiful. Just driving through the neighborhood where we live makes me feel relaxed with all the huge tall pines and lots of greenery everywhere, tons of pretty flowers. It did rain a lot over the winter months, I won't lie to you but I will take rain any day over snow. I have zero tolerance for snow. The weather here feels pretty mild, nothing extreme. I LOVE the cooler summer temps so far. It hasn't gotten over 75 yet and most days it's high 50's or low 60's. Days are very long here also. It's stiill light out at 10pm.

I think I'm just a West Coast girl at heart though. I have no desire to be anywhere else in the country other than going back to southern Cal.

But it's such a personal decision. My husband loved Colorado, and he is not that keen on Washington. We're exact opposites. He likes heat and sun and distinct seasons, etc. I really don't. I like things to be green all year round and not have extreme weather.

JinxieFox
06-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I would move home to Massachusetts, but not the area where I grew up (south shore). I would go to western Massachusetts or the Cape. Massachusetts is very much in my heart. But it is so expensive there, I'll gladly take New Hampshire. A close third is Delaware, where I lived for the 10 years prior to coming to Korea.

dottieanna29
06-26-2010, 10:02 PM
I would stay here in NJ. You have the choice of urban, suburban or rural areas, beach or mountains. The COL is high but the jobs tend to pay more and be easier to find. We don't get extreme weather most of the time but have four definite seasons. Homeschooling is easy - I have to do nothing, its easy to find secular groups and I don't have to deal with any of the wacko fundamentalists everyone talks about. Close enough to Washington DC, Philadelphia and/or NYC for day or weekend trips. Lots of museums, zoos, aquariums, etc.

I haven't lived many other places (Texas for college - THAT was an adjustment) but DH has lived in North Carolina (too hot), Southern California (earthquakes and even higher COL), Utah (he hated it) and West Virginia (hated it) and we have family/close friends in Florida (too hot), Mississippi (too humid and backwards - nothing personal to any mississippians), Vermont (beautiful but winters are too cold, snowy and long) and Lousiana (see Mississippi).

paganmomblog
06-26-2010, 10:04 PM
If we are talking anywhere in the world I would totally move out of the country. Ideally Sweden, Norway, or Finland despite my desire to find a place that stays at 75 degrees yearround.Mostly because everything I hear about them is very secular, low crime, and just downright wonderful. The hubs would love it because of the cold and he has a friend in Norway. Plus seeing his other friend in Belgium would be much more convenient than it is now.

Now assuming just within the US, don't move to MD. Born and raised there and it's horrible. Baltimore is primarily where I grew up and they are the most segregated racists jerks I have ever run into. I am not kidding, the rednecks here have nothing on those people.

I love it in my neck of the woods in NC. The outlying county isn't all that great. Beautiful to look at but hardcore righties. Now the city of Asheville I will totally recommend based on the accepting attitudes of the residents. Seriously, we are the sister city to San Fran. We have the 2nd highest LGBT community per capita. BUT, it's not an easy place to live. Economy sucks, unemployment average higher than the national average, and cost of living is outrageous. We have the same cost of living as Baltimore but almost half the pay. So yea it isn't easy to live here but if you can get established it loves you.

MamaB2C
06-27-2010, 09:14 AM
We found it helpful to list our absolute must have criteria, which narrowed things down considerably.

For us it was
1. No snow, mild winter
2. Water (river, lake, ocean didn't matter)
3. Lower cost of living than we had out West (Vegas for 11 years, Colorado before that. I am originally SoCal)
4. Close(r) to family

So, here we are 5 years later, and yeah the oil spill sucks so I don't blame you for taking this area off the list

I had a lot of fun with http://www.findyourspot.com it brought up towns and cities I had never heard of and some of them ended up on the short list

Have fun and good luck choosing your new home!

SherryZoned
06-27-2010, 10:33 AM
See now MamaB2C you make me want to put it back on the list lol!

How is the heat during the summer though?

Love everyone's replies!

paganmomblog
06-27-2010, 10:33 AM
That is a cool site! I am looking through mine now and so far it has put me in California (which scares me because of Earthquakes but maybe there aren't any in Santa Barbara?) and Oregon. Wonder if I could get the hubs to consider moving?

SherryZoned
06-27-2010, 10:51 AM
I am getting a lot of Arkansas and Oregon lol and a few West Virginia thrown in there.

dottieanna29
06-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Cool quiz. Princeton, NJ ended up being in my top 5. I also got a lot of North Carolina, Washington and Oregon.

Riceball_Mommy
06-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Now assuming just within the US, don't move to MD. Born and raised there and it's horrible. Baltimore is primarily where I grew up and they are the most segregated racists jerks I have ever run into. I am not kidding, the rednecks here have nothing on those people.
I second the idea of not moving here. My husband was just telling me last night that the mayor of Baltimore City was on TV bragging that they only had 13 murders in a weekend compared to the 26 from that time the previous year. I also agree with the racist jerks comment too, it seems like it's everywhere. I swear Baltimore makes New York look polite.

Right now the place I want to move to is Florida. We're actually working toward that goal. Of course you've already said you're not one for the heat, so that won't work for you. For us though it has the place where my husband wants to work, has a ton of art fairs, and the housing prices are much lower then they are here. Also I'm not going to miss the snow when me move.

MamaB2C
06-27-2010, 11:35 AM
See now MamaB2C you make me want to put it back on the list lol!

How is the heat during the summer though?

Love everyone's replies!

It's hot an humid. But, I was in Vegas for over a decade...dry heat , but still the difference between a sauna or an oven :shrug

I treat hot summers like people up North treat winter. You stay in climate controlled areas for the most part, or in the water, for however many months.

hockeymom
06-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Bummer. I just took the quiz but you have to give personal information at the end. :( I don't want to find out that badly!

SherryZoned
06-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Okay after much debate I have decided unless something else pops up I am going to just stick with Alabama.. Might take me a couple years but my friend is moving there soon and I would love to live close to her.. so that will be my focus for now lol

paganmomblog
06-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Since taking that quiz earlier the hubs and I have been discussing. I was an army brat as a small child and we moved alot after my dad got out of the military. Every couple years I get a huge urge to move. I have lived in my house 9 years now and I have never lived anywhere that long lol. So here I am itching to move again and Oregon is looking promising. Hubs is talking Florida though because he loves Florida. He spent his first 10 years of life there and we visit every couple years. I am not sure I would lilke dealing with the humidity of Florida but at the same time being that close to the beach would be nice.

SherryZoned
06-27-2010, 04:29 PM
lol Angela..clearly we need a migration! i am ready to go too..

StartingOver
06-27-2010, 08:58 PM
If I can ever get my husband out of Texas. I will be living in Northwest Montana....... in the Rocky Mountains. I love Polson - Swan Lake area !!!!

paganmomblog
06-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Outside of up and down the east coast, I have only been to Texas. Anywhere else would certainly be an adventure and I think that's what it is. I am in the mood for an adventure.

Fiddler
06-27-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty happy living here in MA (about 45 minutes outside Boston). Lots of secular hsers around (though many are of the unschooling variety and I find we don't always have as much in common as we might). Love the fall, and snow never bothers me (we just stay home if it's too bad)--the kids love playing in it as much if not more than they love playing in the sprinklers in the summer.

It is expensive, though. We came from a couple of years in northern CA, so we didn't have sticker shock, LOL. Before that was PA, and before that both DH and I were at U.Maine. Maine is lovely, but I don't like to hibernate in winter THAT much. It gets darn cold in Maine.

Snoopy
06-28-2010, 12:23 AM
I like Florida as far as homeschooling laws and no state income tax :) I love that most days I don't have to worry about what I should wear because a short, Tshirts and flip-flops will pretty much do 340 days of the year. But I hate the heat and humidity in the summer time and the dreaded hurricane season (June 1 to December 1) and the bugs and all the Northerners who tell us how much better it is up North :) And the snowbirds from Thanksgiving to Easter because they drive slowly and clog the aisles of the supermarket.

If I didn't have to worry about homeschooling, I'd love to find a few acres somewhere in the mountains but not too far from civilization. I can't stand gray, rainy weather, though, so the Pacific NW is out for me. I really loved the Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia when we visited a couple of years ago. Somewhere near lots of historical sites would be a bonus (again, Virginia!) because Greg and I love history.

paganmomblog
06-28-2010, 08:05 AM
I like Florida as far as homeschooling laws and no state income tax :) I love that most days I don't have to worry about what I should wear because a short, Tshirts and flip-flops will pretty much do 340 days of the year. But I hate the heat and humidity in the summer time and the dreaded hurricane season (June 1 to December 1) and the bugs and all the Northerners who tell us how much better it is up North :) And the snowbirds from Thanksgiving to Easter because they drive slowly and clog the aisles of the supermarket.

If I didn't have to worry about homeschooling, I'd love to find a few acres somewhere in the mountains but not too far from civilization. I can't stand gray, rainy weather, though, so the Pacific NW is out for me. I really loved the Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia when we visited a couple of years ago. Somewhere near lots of historical sites would be a bonus (again, Virginia!) because Greg and I love history.

Yea I like that idea of tshirt and shorts most of the year. The humidity in summer would bug me because I hate being overly hot and I love to be outside. But humidity wuold drive me in. And hurricane season would suck if we moved to Homestead like the hubs suggested (his aunt lives there).

I don't get the Yanks who talk about how great the North while being in the South. I am from a family of Yanks and there are some things I miss from my childhood but obviously it's not better if I moved away lol! And if it was so much better why are they in the South avoiding the snow?HMMM???

Sarbare0704
06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Wow that findyourspot site is very interesting! I never really see myself leaving Wisconsin, but I only got like one mid west town! I got a lot of Arkansas and Louisiana!

Fiddler
06-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I just went through the FindYourSpot.com survey and got a lot of Massachusetts, Vermont, and Oregon towns as answers. Some of the MA towns were really close by, so I guess I'm pretty lucky. I do wonder about Oregon, though. Jazz swears he is heading for the Pacific Northwest when he's old enough. :) Not sure why he has this bee in his bonnet. Maybe I let him read Twilight too young. . .

hjdong
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Interesting. The quiz put me where I am, more or less, where I would like to move but DH wouldn't consider (Hawaii - "If we move again, we will not move into the heat . . . again."), places we've both refuses to move (the South), and the area we've both agreed on, Oregon.

One of the main factors for us, which is not a question on the quiz, is diversity.

paganmomblog
06-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok I vote that we all just move to Oregon since that is one heck of a popular spot. Well, except for Natahlie since she doesn't really want to live there.

SherryZoned
06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
LOL Angela no kidding! We could have a secular homeschool commune! LOL Wagon train style.. We will reinvent the Oregon trail. We can make it educational! lol

Marmalade
06-28-2010, 05:42 PM
I wish I had a great answer for this. I love living near the beach...I'm not "at the beach" but I think I'm close enough to it to feel the difference in the air. I have daydreams of living in some little town in a state like Colorado or Missouri or wherever and then I break out of it by remembering that there's not a beach within hundreds of hundreds of miles.

I want to live some where in the country-some place with a small community...some place where the weather isn't 105 degrees with 100% humidity. Some place where I can walk to the places that I need. or at least drive and not use so much cash. I wasn't made for the big city...and unfortunately we live in one.

StartingOver
06-28-2010, 05:54 PM
I like that spot thing !! Even if I was big nut living at tree avenue, and email was [email protected] someone might laugh at it LOL If they truly have the email.

Now only if hubby would leave his hot flat land, or mountains and snow LOL

Sheridan, Wyoming
Population: 16,000| Snow: 72"
Wenatchee, Washington
Population: 27,900 | Snow: 36"
Mitchell, South Dakota
Population: 14,600 | Snow: 32"
Walla Walla, Washington
Population: 29,700 Snow: 18"
Hutchinson, Minnesota
Population: 13,450 | Snow: 32"
Oberlin, Ohio
Population: 8,139 | Snow: 35"
Metaline Falls, Washington
Population: 223 | Snow: 70"
Corning, New York
Population: 10,600 Snow: 65"
Dillon, Montana
Population: 4,035 | Snow: 33"
Lancaster, Ohio
Population: 36,000 | Snow: 25"
Scottsbluff, Nebraska
Population: 14,775 | Snow: 40"
Hancock-Houghton, Michigan
Population: 11,300 | Snow: 110"
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Population: 775 | Snow: 40"
Helena, Montana
Population: 26,700 | Snow: 51"
Pierre, South Dakota
Population: 13,875 | Snow: 29"
Spencer, Iowa
Population: 11,200 | Snow: 37"
Spearfish, South Dakota
Population: 8,600 | Snow: 59"=
Jamestown, New York
Population: 30,700 | Snow: 83"
Leadville, Colorado
Population: 2,712 | Snow: 127"
Sandusky, Ohio
Population: 27,000 | Snow: 25"
Augusta, Maine
Population: 19,200 |Snow: 47"
Tooele-Grantsville, Utah
Population: 29,515 | Snow: 64"
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Population: 24,000 | Snow: 52"

SherryZoned
06-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Oh I need my state to be SUNNY!
Michigan while the cold did not bother me as much as the 9 months of NO SUN!

StartingOver
06-28-2010, 06:03 PM
I lived in Alaska for years. I only came back because my mom was sick. Then I got married, or I would have left when my mom passed, I HATE, HATE, such a strong word, HATE the Texas heat LOL.

SunshineKris
06-29-2010, 02:48 AM
Well, it put my fave town, TAMPA!!, at #4. And Clearwater and Orlando were on the list as well! And a few other FL towns. There was a bunch of TX there too, including Austin and San Antonio. But TX is not where I'd og. Tampa is where we call home; we still own a home there and are on the lookout for another. We are currently trying to determine where in the Tampa Bay area to buy our "forever" house.

I LOVE Tampa. We find there is much to do in the area. We are close to one major airport, about 90 minutes from Orlando's airport, close to a smaller airport as well. There are concert venues, sports all over, the ability to be outside often. There's theater and art museums, a fantastic zoo and a decent aquarium, plus beaches not too far away ranging from large to small and all friendly. And we are only about an hour from the Orlando area attractions, plus Busch Gardens is right down the road. And there are universities in the area, giving many educational choices.

The only drawback for most people is the humidity in the summer. I personally don't mind it and I rarely complain about it. I so much dislike the cold so I can't complain about a long July and August. Hurricanes just require preparation (I've been in a Cat 5 typhoon, plus other tropical systems of varying strengths, and am an expert in hurricane prep) so I find them tolerable. And it's a good time to buy a home if you can afford it. The bad is the unemployment rate, but it seems to be the case in most US locales.

Firefly_Mom
06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Ok I vote that we all just move to Oregon since that is one heck of a popular spot.

OK, everybody caravan this way, and I'll be happy to act as a tour guide once you all get here ;)

Hubby and I were both raised is southern Oregon (he - in a *tiny* town that doesn't even have a stop light!) and left Oregon when our son was a toddler. We spent the next 10 years moving around in sunnier climes - Arizona, southern and central California, Texas - and ultimately decided to move back Oregon. I will admit that we have more gray days here than anywhere else we've lived, but we have a lot less rain than where we lived in Texas (and tons less rain than where we had looked to moving on the east coast!) It's green, the air is clean (the air and the dirt should NOT be the same color brown!), and there is tons to do! I will admit that I have promised hubby that I'll retire with him in northern AZ (you couldn't PAY ME to move back to the Phoenix area - and I don't mean because of the heat...), but that's years away, so I'm enjoying the green while I'm here ;)

hockeymom
06-29-2010, 05:07 PM
We spent a year or so in Corvallis, Oregon and loved it. At the time, we were unsure of what we wanted and ended up leaving, but overall it was a great town and probably would have suited us well. Now we're pretty committed to the East Coast and that suits us today, but it's been a long journey since the Oregon days.