PDA

View Full Version : Art

JLU
01-17-2013, 01:56 AM
My oldest (9 years old)seems to be gifted when it comes to art and creativity. Anyone know of a good curriculum/guide for art.

I have to say I like the freedom of not using one but there are days I feel she is just all over the place with ideas and what she does she can't really explain it in art language. It is just what she likes and what she wanted to do. Not that we quiz her on why she did it that way, just I would think to call it education maybe give her some theory/instructions instead of just letting her loose all of the time.

I think that is what I have the most trouble with in homeschooling sometimes. I know when she is old enough to really read and learn about those things that interest her she will learn the terminology but I want to just encourage her to start making some of those connections in what she does. She is having so much fun just creating I don't want to ruin it restricting/locking her into a program. But that probably is for another topic.

Stella M
01-17-2013, 03:06 AM
My arty dd learned quite a lot from using Artistic Pursuits.

Annelisa
01-27-2013, 02:51 PM
I've used a few books that we've found helpful: Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Paper, and Mixed Media-For Budding Artists of All Ages (Lab Series), Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters (Bright Ideas for Learning), and Dynamic Art Projects for Children: Includes Step-by-step Instructions And Photographs by Denise M. Logan. Each book contains new and fresh ideas for art and creativity.

farrarwilliams
01-27-2013, 02:56 PM
If you want to go with something that's more of a fun guide, then Art Lab and Drawing Lab are both really good. And there are drawing lessons like the Mark Kistler ones which are online if you want something more focused on drawing. Artistic Pursuits is much more formal, but I've always heard good things about it.

Teri
01-27-2013, 03:12 PM
I second Artistic Pursuits.

4quivers
02-05-2013, 02:00 PM
I don't know may Art programs because I simply love ART myself. But my favorite drawing book is Drawing With Children. They have it as my library and I check it out once in a while to make a quick "lesson"!

lakshmi
02-05-2013, 09:30 PM
I don't understand why you don't find an artist to teach her. Tons of artists everywhere. If she is actually talented.. she doesn't need a curriculum she needs to make art. Who cares if she talks about it? That is all art school bullshit. And great artists dont' usually go to art school. Those are great art school students. So.. if she has a talent, then....

Take her to someone who can paint. And teach her painting or sculpture or whatever it is that she is good at doing.

But then that requires money. And if your short on cash, then that is the problem with art in general. materials and lessons..

curriculum Bah. So you'd really have to assess her "talent" if she is just good then get artistic pursuits or Meet the masters.. or the Art adventures at home. But if she is fabulous.. run to the nearest place that can teach her what she needs to know.

Pibroch
02-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Our local museum offers a free drop-in art program every Saturday for kids & families. Anything like that near you?

JinxieFox
02-11-2013, 04:07 AM
This year, I developed our art curriculum by using the free lessons at the Kinderart (http://www.kinderart.com) site. It has painting, drawing, art history, and other topics. Most of the lessons also give book suggestions, if she wants to learn more about the artists and their styles.

We also keep an art drawer full of plain sketch pads/paper, construction paper, pencils, markers, colored pencils, different types of paints and paint brushes, etc. for use any time outside of lessons.