PDA

View Full Version : Our 10th Grade Resources

Stella M
01-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Just in case they are of use to anyone :)

The English Novel - lectures from The Great Courses (http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=2429)

Booklist - Vanity Fair ( abridged, Audible )
Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Bleak House, BBC
Middlemarch
Turn of the Screw
Passage to India
Sons and Lovers
To the Lighthouse

A Bravewriter essay class later in the year

Two Coursera classes - Intro to Philosophy (https://www.coursera.org/#course/introphil)
Intro to Sociology (https://www.coursera.org/#course/soc101)

High School Biology with Living Books (http://www.legendarylearningnow.com/articles/unit-studies/high-school-biology/)

Continuing anthropology using Thinking Like an Anthropologist (http://books.google.co.nz/books/about/Thinking_Like_an_Anthropologist_A_Practi.html?id=S kSfAAAACAAJ)by John T Omohundro - great book!
and books by Margaret Mead.

Continuing Modern History - Arab-Israeli history using Key Features of Modern History (http://www.oup.com.au/titles/secondary/history/senior/9780195565683)by Dennet and Dixon. I haven't sorted out a reading list for this yet.

Dance/yoga classes
Textile projects
Volunteering

Accidental Homeschooler
01-14-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks Stella.

For economics I picked up a new book from DK. I haven't used it with dd yet but I have been reading it and think it will be good.

The Economics Book: DK Publishing: 9780756698270: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Economics-Book-DK-Publishing/dp/0756698278/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358202679&sr=1-1&keywords=dk+economics+book)

Stella M
01-14-2013, 06:45 PM
I tried to sell dd on economics this year but it didn't work :) That book looks great!

farrarwilliams
01-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks for sharing!

Whatcha doing for math?

farrarwilliams
01-14-2013, 07:04 PM
And help me adjust my future expectations, Stella. When I was in high school, I had to read probably three or four times that many books my sophomore year. Those are all meaty books and some of the things I had to read were shorter, but not all... that's the year I was assigned Anna Karenina, for example... but I wonder about when my kids are older. Will I be able to handle giving them book lists for English in high school that are 30 books? Or will I scale it back, and if so, will it feel like I'm compromising.

Stella M
01-14-2013, 07:04 PM
We have to do math ?!

I don't know. Still on holiday. Can't think about it :-)

Stella M
01-14-2013, 07:10 PM
And help me adjust my future expectations, Stella. When I was in high school, I had to read probably three or four times that many books my sophomore year. Those are all meaty books and some of the things I had to read were shorter, but not all... that's the year I was assigned Anna Karenina, for example... but I wonder about when my kids are older. Will I be able to handle giving them book lists for English in high school that are 30 books? Or will I scale it back, and if so, will it feel like I'm compromising.

Oh, these are just the books that match up with the lectures. You have to know about dd that she reads a lot and she does things like read Virginia Woolf essays and Anna Karenina for fun. And deconstructing books is standard dinner table convo here...So I don't really have to require reading. Her own book lists run to around 100 plus a year. Lucky me!

If she wasn't reading, then totally! Requiring 30 books is perfectly reasonable :-)

Avalon
01-15-2013, 12:40 AM

That is incredible, Farrar. I remember when I was in high school, wondering when we might actually read "the classics" that I'd heard about. It turns out that we never did. I started reading them on my own when I realized they were never going to get around to it.

I just checked the requirements for Grade 10 English in our province. This is the academic/matriculation route minimum requirements for "text study":

1 novel OR 1 book-length non-fiction
1 feature film
1 modern play OR 1 Shakespearean play
Poetry: a variety
Short stories: a variety
Visual and multimedia text (includes short films, video clips, and photographs)
an essay
popular nonfiction (encouraged, not required)

That's it. Schools are allowed to specify additional requirements as they see fit, but my experience with a few local teenagers is that reading one or two novels a year is typical for a high school English course.

ETA: I just asked the international student who lives with me about this. He just wrote his Grade 12 diploma examination today. His class read "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and a novel about Vietnam called "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. Throw in a movie, some poetry, a few short stories, and that was the whole course.

farrarwilliams
01-15-2013, 12:56 AM
I think people have massively different experiences in American public schools which reflects how incredibly uneven the quality of education is across this country. I've met many people who had experiences like mine - big school with a very competitive set of advanced classes and an expectation to read a huge list of books and primary sources... and people who read a book a year and that was it - and everything in between. I think my education may have been too driven at times, actually. There was definitely a point in my senior year when I looked back and just was a bit astounded. And when I got to college, I had intended to be an English major... until I took the first two courses that were required and realized that I would have to spend the next two to three years just rereading all the stuff I had already read with only occasional new material interspersed before I could even get to reading more stuff or at a deeper level. Forget that. I went for history instead. I'd had plenty of that, but they let you pick your own specialty - you didn't have to do all of European history and American history all over again.

Stella M
01-15-2013, 02:24 AM
10th grade the schools do nothing here. Maybe 4-6 texts a year.

7th grade was also appalling. One novel, one poetry unit, one Shakespeare.

I am pretty sure Lucy won't be doing an English degree but even if she was, what are you going to do ? Ration books ?

30 books a year is less than one a week. Totally doable. Obviously you can't study all of them in the same depth, but you can certainly have an acquaintance.

Sionnon
01-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Thank you for sharing! I really enjoy seeing what others have planned.