PDA

View Full Version : Future City Competition

Teri
01-14-2013, 04:33 PM
We are coming up on our Future City competition in a couple of weeks. The model is coming along!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
01-14-2013, 04:46 PM
I like the green roofs! Is that a monorail track in the front?

Teri
01-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes, monorail, living buildings, Doric column rain catchers ;), permeable pavers, wetland, wind energy, solar energy.
They had to make a city and incorporate their solutions for stormwater run-off.

farrarwilliams
01-14-2013, 06:10 PM
That is so cool!

WindSong
01-14-2013, 08:39 PM
That looks awesome! What a great project, Teri. Do you know if my ds could do this on his own without entering the competition? Are the instructions and guidelines available to anyone or do you need to be registered to compete?

Good luck!

Teri
01-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Everything is laid out on the website. We have actually being doing things for a semester. It starts out with playing SIM city (not as much fun as it sounds when you have rubric requirements! LOL), then you have to research and write an essay about the topic, this year it was storm water run off and your solution to the problem. Then you have write a synopsis about your future city, make a model of the future city and do a 7 minute presentation about your city and the solutions you came up with.
There is a $100 limit for building the model and any props/costumes for the presentation.
I think we will do it again next year. It is only for middle school students so there is a small window when I can say they are all middle school level. ;)
National Engineers Week Future City Competition™ (http://www.futurecity.org)

MrsLOLcat
01-14-2013, 10:32 PM
That's awesome! I love it! I'm saving that link for future reference. :)

Teri
01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
I posted on the school style thread that we are "unit studies". This will give you a good idea of my kids' mindset. This year, we have worked on Future City and the National Mythology Exam for an entire semester (both will finish up in the next month or so).
When it came time to name our homeschool and our city for Future City, the kids decided that our homeschool is called "Odysseus Academy", our city is "Ithaca" and the mayor of our city is Penelope. You can also see a very distinct architectural leaning toward Greek.
Seriously, even when we are NOT doing unit studies, they find a way to tie it all together.

farrarwilliams
01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
This is cool. I would like to find more things like that to do as my kids get older. We do Destination Imagination and that has some similar overtones, but I like the idea of entering stuff like this that's individual as well.

BarbaraH
01-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Very cool opportunity!

CrazyCatWoman
01-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Very cool to see! My oldest is doing the state competition this weekend. She is working with a group of homeschoolers - not sure if she could stand working with her siblings! Good luck to you all in Tx. Maybe we will see each other in DC! (I know that my daughter's group is certainly hoping so!)

Teri
01-22-2013, 11:58 PM
OH how exciting! You are the first one on any of the homeschool groups that I am on that is also doing it. What state are you in?
Can you tell me what their solution was? My kids are so excited to see everyone's models and solutions.

Teri
01-26-2013, 09:37 PM
The kids had a blast at the competition today. They are already talking about next year. :D
They won "Excellence in the Use of Construction Materials" and were THRILLED!

WhatEverWorks
02-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Teri,

A huge thank you for letting us know about this. My son is already getting into SIM City in preparation for next year. When looking into this, we found a ton of things around town for Engineer Week specifically for home schoolers. He went to one event today and is still on cloud 9! I never would have heard about any of it without your postings.

Teri
02-15-2013, 08:21 PM
That's great! The entire competition is meant to culminate with Engineers' Week. Our model will be on exhibit next Saturday at the Fort Worth Science Museum as part of the Engineers Week festivities. :D

CrazyCatWoman
02-24-2013, 03:17 PM
My kid's group came in 6th place - just low enough they didn't make it to the top 5 presentations. But, they had a great time and came up with some good ideas. It turned out they got knocked down because they used the wrong base model for the Sim City.

They solved the problem of stormwater management with use of what they called acoustic moss, and smart metals. They put their city in a dessert monsoon area, used the metals to direct the water to storm drains, storm drains had moss that would filter the water. They made up a dummy of the drains, poured in dirty water at one end, and then drank clean water at the other. The model also showed a few blocks of their city, and an aquaponics center that they were using the spare water to produce food.

As a note for next year, they may be upgrading their Sim City. It would be good to learn how to use the available Sim City, but realize that you don't really get a head start. Also, you have to look closely and use one of the city bases that they provide.

CrazyCatWoman
02-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Oh, forgot to add, we are in Washington State.

MrsLOLcat
02-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Way to go! It has to hurt to be just outside the top 5, but it sounds like they did a really great job. Congrats to you guys!

Teri
02-24-2013, 08:44 PM
They send out a pre-done region. There are a bunch of towns arranged in a doughnut and you have to build your city in the middle one that is empty.
We were very close to the cut-off also. They said they would take 4-6 to finals and they took 5. I think they had a cut-off score. The finalists were all 300-350. We scored 289.

CrazyCatWoman
03-03-2013, 06:10 PM
That is so close! Nice that they are thinking about what they can do for next year.