PDA

View Full Version : Patience With Reading is Paying Off!

blasphemoushomemaker
01-13-2013, 04:12 AM
My son is now seven years old and I've been nervous that he still can't read. I know, first grade is when a lot of kids start reading, but both my husband and I were reading before then, so it's been hard not to compare. My son resists all attempts at formal lessons so I have to be stealthy, like showing him how to pronounce a word on a lego box so if he knows what it says. SOMETIMES he'll sit down if I do it right - I made up some sentence strips about the characters from Supernatural, for example, and he was usually curious to figure out what they said.

ANYWAY...

I checked out some BOB books from the library for the 5 year old because she has specifically asked me to teach her to read. The seven year old picked one up, opened it, and STARTED READING IT last night. He only needed my promptings a few times. When he finished, he said, he, I read pretty good! I set aside my anal retentive urge to correct his use of "good" instead of "well" and just gave him a high five. And then my heart fluttered all over. :heart:

Accidental Homeschooler
01-13-2013, 04:24 AM
That is great! I am trying to be patient and not push my seven year old, at least not very much. It is hard.

blasphemoushomemaker
01-13-2013, 04:43 AM
IT IS VERY HARD. I have to remind myself that this is why we homeschool - so they don't have to feel that pressure of someone else's timetable. I have to remind myself ALL THE TIME.

rueyn
01-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Bob books were the BEST! My son also loved The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat (http://www.amazon.com/The-Fat-Cat-Read-Book/dp/0064442462/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358081294&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=the+fat+cat+saat+on+the+mat) when he was learning. Not personally fond of the adjective, "fat", but the story is funny ;)

dbmamaz
01-13-2013, 11:07 AM
funny, my son, who also was a late reader, HATED bob books! so glad I found the elephant and piggy books for him. But it also cracks me up when my son says what a good reader he is. i know he's still probably slightly below grade level (tho his comprehension is fine), but he only knows how much better he is doing than before, since he isnt comparing himself to his peers. yep. love homeschooling!

Accidental Homeschooler
01-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Gerald and Piggy have been a turning point for us. And then we get together with our unschooling friends and hear about how their kids just taught themselves. I keep reminding myself of this when I feel compelled to pull out more phonics.

blasphemoushomemaker
01-14-2013, 03:14 AM
He did actually used to hate Bob books, which is why I wrote my own sentence strips. But he just wanted to show me he could read, I guess. Which both rocks AND rolls.

Mum
01-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Love these kinds of shares! My kid could read but didn't want to for a long time. Doesn't it throw you off course when the second one sometimes takes interest before the older one?