PDA

View Full Version : Beast Quest: My Kid Loves These Books!

Mum
01-10-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm sharing this for other parents with reluctant readers.

My 10 yo is a reluctant reader. He finally started reading independent chapter books that were more challenging than Captain Underpants when we found The Puppy Place Series.

I stumbled onto The Beast Quest Series (http://www.beastquest.co.uk/books/) a couple of weeks ago. My kid won't put them down! I have to send my husband to Barnes & Nobles this evening to get four more in the series tonight to keep up with him.

It's a fantasy series. A "chosen" boy goes off to fight Dragons and other monsters. The reading level is comparable to The Magic Tree House but the stories are exciting enough to interest an older kid who thinks MTH is too "little kid".

Hoping it might hook some of your reluctant readers too.

Stella M
01-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks Mum, will check them out. I think our library has them.

farrarwilliams
01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I think there's a lot of them too so he'll stay busy for awhile!

Mum
01-10-2013, 04:07 PM
There's almost too many.
And a correction from the boy: The hero does not go off to battle the monsters. He actually goes off to aid the monsters in one way or another.

dbmamaz
01-10-2013, 04:35 PM
curious if we could do then once we're done with Deltora - we only have 5 Deltora books left. But we could do every-other-page with these, instead of me doing all the reading. my library does have them and it looks like you can also buy boxed sets cheap used

farrarwilliams
01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Yes - just from having glanced at them, I would say they're similar to Deltora's reading level. Also to Animorphs. Three boy series.

dbmamaz
01-10-2013, 05:21 PM
the page peak thing on amazon it looked slightly lower level to me. of course the first deltora series was lower level than the second one we're reading now, so maybe i'm just forgetting.

Mum
01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
It's very easy reading. I would even put it below the reading level for Animorph. I've never looked at Deltora so I can't make a comparison with that one.

Mum
01-10-2013, 06:47 PM
...One more thing to save y'all the confusion I just put the huz through.

If you're in the US, the link I shared at the top will make you crazy if you're trying to buy them.
It was released here through Scholastic and some of the books are titled and covered differently.
Here's a better link (http://www.scholastic.com/tbw/quickSearch.do?N=0+$&fq=Series:^Beast+Quest^&Ntk=TBW_QuickSearch_SI&Ntx=mode+matchallparti).

Avalon
01-10-2013, 11:46 PM
My son has been obsessed with Beast Quest for a few years now. He owns every book that's available in North America. I think there are about 26 of them, although there are far more in the UK. I offered to get him the whole set from the UK (we have relatives there who could probably mail them to us), but he said he didn't want that because the covers and some of the names are different.

For a long time, all of his writing was about Beast Quest: making lists of the books, which beasts appeared in each book, which beasts appeared in more than one book, what special jewel or power each beast had, etc...

I honestly thought he would be bored of them by now. I think they are far below his reading level, but he just loves them so much.

Batgirl
01-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Thanks! I just put one on hold at the library.