PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit and CrossfitKids

LAR
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
We've added more exercise to our daily routine, which includes walking, hiking, biking and lately jogging. The girls also love our makeshift obstacle courses in the backyard. But I'm contemplating Crossfit. The kids program looks incredible but costly. We have relatives who have done Crossfit for years with impressive results. But I don't know any who participates in the kids program. Anyone out there taking their kids to Crossfit? Pros? Cons?

summer94
01-03-2013, 02:15 PM
OK, so here's my stance on this.
I am a CPT, I have also been trained and certified in childrens fitness. Now I haven't seen the crossfit kids but I have major reservations about it. I have seen many many crossfitters that have HORRIBLE form, really really bad. Not saying all are, but remember, crossfit is a franchise, anyone can open one.

My issue is this. Childrens muscles and bones are developing, if you push them too hard/wrong in a structured type setting you can really do some lifetime damage. I would hate to see an 8 year old doing deadlifts and such. Especially if they have them lifting to or over their shoulders, they can easily blow their wrists, hurt their back, pull a shoulder etc. So much can go wrong.

For structure, kids (and most everyone actually) need "functional" training. Essentially this means using their own body weight doing things that they would normally do. Push ups, planks, pull ups, monkey bars, running, climbing, playing etc. Depending on the age, if they insist on lifting weights, it should be no more than 5-10 lbs until they have had their growth spurt. You must protect those growth plates.

I would go for things like parkour, rockclimbing, obsticle courses etc if you must have some sort of structure. Functional functional functional!

LAR
01-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. And, after speaking to the owner of our local crossfit, I wasn't impressed. Our homemade obstacle courses may need to become a regular part of our day!

summer94
01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Totally welcome!
and OMG, I just went the crossfit kids website, the very first pic on the home page is exactly the exercise I had said I'd be horrified to see a kid do. You can look at him and see all sorts of bad form, his wrists are bent WAY too far back, his arms are past his ears leaning towards his back, his head is forward...all of those say that weight is way to heavy for him..I sure hope that those aren't the normal weights, because the bar is between 30-45lbs, and those are 45lb weights on each end..OMG, WAY too much. That kid is gonna blow his wrists or snap his shoulder or pec muscles, or worse drop that on the back of his head/neck possibly on this spine. no no no!

ACK I just watched some vids, ugh. seriously massive improper form all over the place with no one correcting them. Sure there are some things that are ok, like running, but seeing a preschooler using a band doing shoulder lifts (the band is at least 8lbs of pressure), is a no no...at the very very most it should be a one lb dumbbell, or a can of soup.

They are treating them like little adults, teaching just as they would adults. They are NOT little adults, their bodies do not function the same and serious damage can result.

So sad/mad to see this!:explode:

Yes your obstacle course sounds perfect!! It teaches agility, builds muscle safely, sure you might get scraped knees, but that's what kids do! Get them to some monkey bars, or put in a pole in the yard for them to climb (a 8ft fence pole down in concrete will work just fine, just sand down the pole)

LAR
01-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Just checked our local parkour facility. SCARY! Jumping off buildings, tumbling from ledge to ledge. These athletes are truly amazing but my youngest gets hurt during a tour of local fire station. The 2x4 balance beam and jumping through hula hoops might be more our speed.

cmgork
01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Totally welcome!
and OMG, I just went the crossfit kids website, the very first pic on the home page is exactly the exercise I had said I'd be horrified to see a kid do. You can look at him and see all sorts of bad form, his wrists are bent WAY too far back, his arms are past his ears leaning towards his back, his head is forward...all of those say that weight is way to heavy for him..I sure hope that those aren't the normal weights, because the bar is between 30-45lbs, and those are 45lb weights on each end..OMG, WAY too much. That kid is gonna blow his wrists or snap his shoulder or pec muscles, or worse drop that on the back of his head/neck possibly on this spine. no no no!

ACK I just watched some vids, ugh. seriously massive improper form all over the place with no one correcting them. Sure there are some things that are ok, like running, but seeing a preschooler using a band doing shoulder lifts (the band is at least 8lbs of pressure), is a no no...at the very very most it should be a one lb dumbbell, or a can of soup.

They are treating them like little adults, teaching just as they would adults. They are NOT little adults, their bodies do not function the same and serious damage can result.

So sad/mad to see this!:explode:

Yes your obstacle course sounds perfect!! It teaches agility, builds muscle safely, sure you might get scraped knees, but that's what kids do! Get them to some monkey bars, or put in a pole in the yard for them to climb (a 8ft fence pole down in concrete will work just fine, just sand down the pole)

As a CrossFitter and someone who is looking at Homeschooling for my family I am shocked that you would pass judgement on something in which you have never participated and appear to know little about CrossFit. You mentioned before that CrossFit gyms are franchised and anyone can open a facility. Well you couldn't be anymore wrong. First each facility which we call a "box" has to be certified and there needs to be Certified instructors in order for it to become an Affiliate. These instructors must pass a certification course which is not similar to your beloved CPT course. First the cost is more expensive and is way more difficult to pass to receive your CL1. Then if you want to teach CrossFit for Kids the instructors must have their CrossFit Kids Certification which is a whole different program.

Now on to your critique of form and the weight being used. First, form is of the utmost importance in CrossFit because with the olympic lifts we do if you're not doing them properly they can cause injury. This is something that is drilled into us from the very beginning. Then before each exercise or lift we do warm-ups where form is again gone over and instructors make sure they are doing it properly. The picture which I am sure you are referencing on the CrossFit Kids site is of a teen doing an olympic lift that could be coming from a back squat to a thuster or other movement that is a moment in time. As a photographer I know that you can get shots that if taken out of context can lead to the wrong impression which I am positive is the case here. Next you comment on the weight being used which you describe as 45lb weights. Well again you couldn't be any further from the truth. Those plates which are called Bumpers are only 10-15lbs. 45lbs weights/bumpers are much thicker. You also talk about the bar which you say is 45/35lbs. Again you are wrong as this bar is 10kg and for kids they also have 5kg bars. Now on too how much kids can and can not lift. First the weight list for any workout is not what they must do but a suggestion. More often than not most CrossFitters especially kids are not doing the as prescribed weight and if they are it because they can handle the weight. I should also point out that the WOD or Workouts of the Day is tailored to meet a kids age level. If you were looking at the CrossFit Kids site you would notice this immediately. Please I beg the next time you go out of your way to bash someones way of fitness you should set out to properly learn about the practice before making judgements.

summer94
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
whoa!
Ok, so to break that down.
I was not attacking CF as whole, of COURSE there are great CF trainers (just as there are good/bad trainers with my "precious" cpt), HOWEVER a basic search will show that there are unfortunately MANY that are horrifying. There are numerous articles with people warning about improper cf'ers. I have seen great ones, but sadly I've seen more less than great. I'm guessing that is because in order to become certified to teach CF, it's a 2 day course, with no prior knowledge or experience required. There are too many people that think "oh, I can do that" go take the course, get "certified" and end up hurting people. 2 days is not enough. Have you seen the anatomy/physiology/kinesthesiology books you have to study to become ACE/AFAA etc certified? No way that could be thoroughly touched upon in a 2 day workshop.

As for cost, that just honestly has nothing to do with quality. CF is $1000 to get certified. Sure ACE and the like tend to be around half that, but they also must take qualifying yearly courses to stay certified (CEC's) and keep up to date with the latest, not just retaking the same course to get "re-certified". CF is in the business to make money. They are not "certified" by any of the governing bodies of fitness to my knowledge. You couldn't take a CF cert and go work in any other gym that requires certs. Not saying it's a bad course, but 2 days is not enough time.

from CF
"Level 1 Trainer Courses may be repeated as needed or desired. There are no prerequisites for the Level 1 Trainer Course; however we highly recommend some exposure to CrossFit's workouts and movements before attending.

This course has a 50 question multiple-choice test, which will be required to pass in order to attain the distinction of CrossFit Level 1 Trainer (CF-L1). All of the questions on the test come directly from the course and the UPDATED CrossFit Training Guide. "

As for the franchise comment, my bad, honestly the way it's run, a franchise would be better. It gives the higher ups more control on how their name is being used. Having owned a fitness facility for many years, I would be extremely angry (mainly at myself for not controlling it) if someone were using my name that I licensed out to them and then went on and did what they wanted, how they wanted and tarnished my name. Which is exactly what is happening in the CF business world.

As for the picture, it was removed from their site not long after I had posted that. (I can't find anywhere on their site now) It wasn't of the teen, it was of a boy appx 11-12 at the most with horrid horrid form. He was standing with both legs together, head thrust forward, arms clearly far behind his ears and wrists fully pulled back. It was obvious he was trying to hold the pose.

As for the weights, what I said was "I sure hope those aren't regular weights" I didn't say they were, I said I HOPE they weren't. I'm glad they aren't. BUT, if these bumper weights were making that kid have that bad of form then it was still too much weight.

I also understand that CF'ers are fiercely protective over their workout method, which is fine. But it can be to the detriment of their own safety/health if they don't realize that their trainer could be one of the "bad" ones. This isn't a standard workout, this is an intense military workout. It's not like zumba or anything. You need to really make sure your trainer truly understands not just how to do these moves, but how to do them safely and what muscles you are using and how those muscles are being used etc.. I wouldn't feel safe teaching a CF class because I don't feel I've had enough training in physiology and kinesthetics for such intensity. I know my personal limitation, sadly, many trainers don't. CF or not. I wouldn't take a gymnastics class from someone that took a 2 day course.

I ran this across many of my trainer friends, not ONE disagreed with me. Even my ones that do CF.

I think it's great that your trainers are drilling it into you. However, it's just not the case on a whole. A basic google search will lead you to many many articles on the dangers or improper training with CF.

ETA:
oh snap, I just noticed that you registered on this site to attack my post. This is precisely what I mean by "fiercely protective" this is the kind of thing that gives CF'ers the title of "cult like" (not my words, but many others fyi). And I find it sad because I have friends that are CF'ers and are fabulous people but they also know proper form and how not to injure themselves and don't jump on everyone that may have some critical thoughts on CF.

Jackielyn
01-09-2013, 08:02 PM
I love CrossFit...some boxes are good and some are bad. Just like anything else. No experience with CrossFit kids though.

Jackielyn
01-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Our homeschool group is getting ready to start the Presidential Physical Fitness test and we are going to do a group class for (I think) 10 weeks. You could start a class on your own with local homeschoolers or even just look up the requirements online. https://www.presidentschallenge.org/challenge/physical/index.shtml

cmgork
01-09-2013, 11:07 PM
whoa!
Ok, so to break that down.
I was not attacking CF as whole...

Have you seen the anatomy/physiology/kinesthesiology books you have to study to become ACE/AFAA etc certified?

ETA:
oh snap, I just noticed that you registered on this site to attack my post. This is precisely what I mean by "fiercely protective" this is the kind of thing that gives CF'ers the title of "cult like" (not my words, but many others fyi). And I find it sad because I have friends that are CF'ers and are fabulous people but they also know proper form and how not to injure themselves and don't jump on everyone that may have some critical thoughts on CF.

Your comments sure seemed liked you were bashing a style of fitness that you yourself admit have only watched online. I do agree there are good and bad trainers alike with any discipline of fitness. But like you point out the potential short comings of CF training I also find problems with CPT certifications as there are many associations offering certification with what appears no standard. At least with CrossFit it is Standardized. With that said I would like to see the CrossFit training courses expand and put stipulations on what is needed to become certified. Regarding my reference to cost; that was to demonstrate it hopefully deters the type of person you mentioned in your comments from becoming a CF trainer. I realize that may have been lost in my passionate response.

You ask if I have seen books needed to study to become a CPT. My answer is yes as I have considered becoming certified so I may help people regain their health and try to prevent injury like what happen to me by a Bally's CPT 16 years ago.

Last you call into question my singing up on this board to "attack your post" which is not correct. I did sign up on this board not to attack but dispute some of your negativity of a fitness discipline in which you appear to have no experience. I will point out that I am researching Homeschooling for my family in the wake of Newtown and while scanning this site to gather research I came across your post which was attacking a discipline of fitness in which I participate. After reading your posts I felt you had a very limited working knowledge and thought necessary to call your views into question. I will also tell you that I would rather be in this ("cult like") community that encourages than at a gym like Planet Fitness where form is never called into question.