PDA

View Full Version : If you have a celebration in December, what do you eat?

Freedom
12-15-2012, 08:40 PM
If you celebrate in December, to include New Year's Eve, what do you eat? I am thinking about serving something based off of another culture, but I just can't find anything interesting or the necessary food items needed here in U.S. We celebrated with our friend from Panama a few
years ago, and had octopus which was great fun.

Stella M
12-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Prawns and other seafood, salads, cold desserts, summer fruits like mangoes and cherries....

For some reason I quite like to cook Chinese food on NYE.

dbmamaz
12-15-2012, 10:30 PM
oddly, having grown up jewish, a lot of pork . .. making a pork roast for dh's birthday on the 22nd, and ham for xmas. idk NYE . . . i dont think the food for NYE matters as much to me

farrarwilliams
12-15-2012, 10:57 PM
We also have Chinese on NYE, but we tend to get take out so we can have fortune cookies for midnight.

For Christmas, we do very American food - usually a standing rib roast which my mother spends a fortune on and encrusts in things and buys short ribs just to make the gravy for it. It's extremely decadent.

dbmamaz
12-15-2012, 11:28 PM
i'm actually tempted to do rack of lamb for NYE, but its pretty pricey . . .

echomyst
12-16-2012, 01:37 AM
I'm Chinese and we celebrate the Winter Solstice with noodles, dumplings, wontons, and glutinous rice balls ( Tangyuan (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangyuan_(food)) ). Sometimes we'd have "hot pot" ( Hot pot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_pot) ). My husband's Caucasian and we also eat lots of typical American foods like turkey and gingerbread cookies and hot cocoa with homemade marshmallows :-)

Melyssa
12-16-2012, 04:51 AM
We always just do a huge appetizer spread, just our tradition which is what we did growing up as well. Deviled eggs, cheese and crackers, dips, finger foods, etc.

hockeymom
12-16-2012, 08:05 AM
We are celebrating Hanukkah this year, so I've been making lots of Jewish food. I finally made my first successful latkes (oh my goodness were they so incredibly delicious), vegetable kugel, and of course jelly doughnuts (outsourced from our local doughnut shop) and bagels and lox. Tonight I'll make matzo ball soup.

On Solstice, we'll probably eat a lot of cookies, since we play Sostice elves and deliver small boxes of goodies to friends and neighbors.

On Christmas Eve, I usually make cinnamon buns for breakfast, and dinner is always Chinese take out which we eat on antique china while watching A Christmas Story.

Christmas morning I always make dutch babies for breakfast and dinner is usually something like tofurkey or field roast and roasted veggies, or Chinese food leftovers if we're lucky to have any left.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-16-2012, 10:03 AM
For the past ten years or so, my husband's family has established lasagna as the meal for Christmas day (easy to prepare in advance, feeds a crowd, etc.). This year, I'm thinking about switching to ham since I can't eat wheat anymore. :( It's also a tradition among my in-laws to make a "birthday cake" for Baby Jesus, but I will probably stick to cookies and maybe some gluten-free gingerbread for me, if I can find some at a store. Loves me some gingerbread with whipped cream.

We don't do anything special for New Year's Eve.

dbmamaz
12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
you know they make gluten free lasagna noodles, right? i've made gluten and dairy free lasagna once - i was the only one who liked it, so I had to freeze it in individual portions for me lol

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-16-2012, 01:33 PM
you know they make gluten free lasagna noodles, right? i've made gluten and dairy free lasagna once - i was the only one who liked it, so I had to freeze it in individual portions for me lol

Do you have to cook them first before you assemble the lasagna? I've become spoiled by the no-boil lasagna noodles. :)

I still have another week to decide. Maybe I'll take a family poll.

dbmamaz
12-16-2012, 07:14 PM
i think i went no-boil and added extra water. i actually tried making it in the slow cooker but the cheese never melted, so then I had to throw it in the oven lol

Gummers
12-17-2012, 01:56 PM
For NYE I grew up having a fondue! It used to be a meat fondue but gradually turned into the more popular chocolate fondue with fruit and other goodies. We don't usually go out and we don't make a big deal out of it.

Xmas for the past two years has been at restaurants so that I don't have to cook! :)

quabbin
12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Last year our fridge was broken at Christmas (never buying an extended warranty again! we were without it for 16 days), so we went out for Chinese food. We'll probably do that again this year. My husband always wants seafood for New Year's Eve.

Freedom
12-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Christmas morning I always make dutch babies for breakfast and dinner is usually something like tofurkey or field roast and roasted veggies, or Chinese food leftovers if we're lucky to have any left.[/QUOTE]

What are Dutch Babies?

We also have Chinese on NYE, but we tend to get take out so we can have fortune cookies for midnight.

I like the idea of fortune cookies at midnight.:_applaud:

Okay so I tried to do a multi-quote but failed. :mad:

dbmamaz
12-18-2012, 07:43 PM
i remember asking about dutch babies last year . . .some sort of thick pancake, was it?

Pefa
12-19-2012, 05:13 AM
Christmas morning I always make dutch babies for breakfast

I always make dutch babies too. Part of the tradition is the very theatrical "ooh and aah" as it comes out of the oven.

Pefa
12-19-2012, 05:14 AM
The kids are cooking christmas eve dinner - portugese kale soup, bread and a warm bacon salad. Probably pie for dessert. christmas dinner will be venison and roast veggies and a big salad and a lemon mousse trifle kinda thing.

Pefa
12-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Dutch babies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_baby_pancake)

hockeymom
12-19-2012, 07:09 AM
I always make dutch babies too. Part of the tradition is the very theatrical "ooh and aah" as it comes out of the oven.

Pefa, do you know where your tradition came from? No one in my family remembers why we always have dutch babies (and I'd never met anyone else who had ever heard of them) on Christmas morning, and I've always been curious. Apparently our tradition is unrelated to my mom's German upbringing; she hadn't had them until living in the US.

Funny about the "ooh and aah"--yes! That's SUCH an important part! Do you put nutmeg on top?

dbmamaz
12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Its a popover . . . . Dutch Babies, Popovers or Yorkshire Puddings? – The Yankee Chef - BDN Maine Blogs (http://theyankeechef.bangordailynews.com/2012/12/16/historical-recipes/dutch-babies-popovers-or-yorkshire-puddings/)

MrsLOLcat
12-19-2012, 11:09 AM
I always make cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast. I would LOVE to have food traditions on Christmas, but I don't get to yet. Next year. I can promise you I will NOT have corn, noodles & cheese, which is a tradition in my dad's family (yes, it's just corn, noodles and cheese all thrown into a pot... I think they all really loved that as a kid). Anyway, for NYE we generally just have appetizers of various kinds.

Stella M
12-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Those dutch babies are tempting, but we normally just eat chocolate for Xmas morn breakfast:-)

hockeymom
12-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Now that's having your priorities straight, Stella! :)

dbmamaz
12-19-2012, 06:54 PM
i'm strangely craving that overnight xmas casserole thing - like a quiche w breakfast sausage and bread and eggs and milk? maybe some scallions? i know its supposed to have cheese but there isnt any we can all eat. i'd love to put some sweet peppers in, but that would make Raven not eat it.

ItoLina
12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
We usually pick a theme for Christmas Eve dinner with our friends. This year we are having Mexican food, last year we did Italian, and I think the year before that we had Paia. It all started one year when we ll just decided we were sick of the usual and didn't want a repet of all the Thanksgiving food (we do Thanksgiving with the same group as we are all out here with no family near by).

Christmas morning is always donuts.

For New Years we have Panes de gaillina. This is a Salvadorean tradition(dh was born and raised there) and I just think they taste wonderful, so we do it. This year my MIL will be here to make.them, so I am really looking forward to it. She is bringing all the spices with her....yummy, my mouth is watering all ready.

CrazyMommi
12-19-2012, 10:15 PM
We do a Mexican Fiesta on Christmas Day instead of the "traditional dinner." We also open PJs and a book & movie on Eve. :)

dbmamaz
12-19-2012, 10:53 PM
i realize i'm not really inspired for xmas dinner past the ham and cookies. mashed potatoes, i guess. cole slaw? I have the cabbage left over from the last cole slaw, which i pretty much finished up singlehandedly. everyone loved the stuffing at thanksgiving, but i'm not sure it would taste so good with ham. cranberry sauce for sure. sweet potatoes? idk. not feeling it. looking forward to the ham and potato and kale soup the day after. and ham and eggs. and maybe ham salad on sub buns.