PDA

View Full Version : Broccoli Slaw...WITH RAMEN NOODLES!!!!!

Topsy
06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
So my friend Mikki came through for me and sent me this recipe yesterday. I've eaten it at her house and nearly went nuts over it, so good Topsy that I am, I wanted to share it with you folks...so here goes!!

BROCCOLI SLAW RECIPE:

1 lb. broccoli slaw (found in bagged produce section of most grocers)
2 pkg. oriental flavor Ramen noodles (can I hear an "Amen"?) har!
4 oz. slivered almonds
4 oz. sunflower kernels
4 green onions, chopped

Dressing:
1/3 c. olive oil
1/4 c. sugar (more if you like sweeter slaws)
1/2 c. vinegar (balsamic, white wine, or plain white...whichever you prefer)
2 flavor packets from Ramen noodles

Mix together dressing ingredients. Let sit. Mix together slaw ingredients, and then pour dressing over slaw and mix well. Make ahead of time and refrigerate to give flavors time to blend.

Crumble ramen noodles and sprinkle over salad just before serving!!

Now can I hear a "Yum"??!!! :D

wild_destiny
06-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Seriously? This is good? If you say so, then I will try it out at some point. Thanks for sharing an interesting recipe for ramen noodles. Personally, I like my broccoli slaw with ranch dressing. But that is because I am on a diet (wink, wink)--and you know, ranch dressing is calorie free (at least it is in my mind--could be why this diet isn't working).

Snoopy
06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
That sounds good but I think it would give me a lot of gas, lol. I don't think I've ever seen Broccoli Slaw. What's in it? Is it just chopped broccoli? Because I do have 2 heads of it in my fridge right now.

hockeymom
06-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Broccoli slaw is super yummy. It's julienned broccoli (not the flower heads, the stalks I think) and if I remember correctly, maybe carrots too and maybe something else yummy. We eat it (raw) with a sesame or miso dressing. Light and crunchy and a nice addition to a wrap too (like with hummus). You can find it packaged in the produce area almost anywhere.

Actually, I think this recipe sounds yummy. I can't say I've had a ramen noodles since university, and I might substitute them with cooked soba noodles and serve the slaw on top of the noodles, but then again, I've never been known to follow a recipe exactly. I think I'd skip the "flavor packets" too, because, well, sometimes there's too much going on in them for my taste so I'd probably use a simple veggie broth but yeah, this is starting to sound pretty good. Toss in some baked tofu cubes, and there's already the sunflower seeds...mmmmm.

Wilma
06-23-2010, 04:34 PM
I love the broccoli salad with raisins and bacon. The dressing looks somewhat similar. I wonder if we could create a hybrid.

Oh, and yes, bless you, my child. I bestow the Golden Ramen Noodle Award on you. May you honor it and represent it with dignity.

Shoe
06-24-2010, 11:21 AM
So my friend Mikki came through for me and sent me this recipe yesterday. I've eaten it at her house and nearly went nuts over it, so good Topsy that I am, I wanted to share it with you folks...so here goes!!

BROCCOLI SLAW RECIPE:

1 lb. broccoli slaw (found in bagged produce section of most grocers)
2 pkg. oriental flavor Ramen noodles (can I hear an "Amen"?) har!
4 oz. slivered almonds
4 oz. sunflower kernels
4 green onions, chopped

Dressing:
1/3 c. olive oil
1/4 c. sugar (more if you like sweeter slaws)
1/2 c. vinegar (balsamic, white wine, or plain white...whichever you prefer)
2 flavor packets from Ramen noodles

Mix together dressing ingredients. Let sit. Mix together slaw ingredients, and then pour dressing over slaw and mix well. Make ahead of time and refrigerate to give flavors time to blend.

Crumble ramen noodles and sprinkle over salad just before serving!!

Now can I hear a "Yum"??!!! :D

Sounds like it could be interesting, Topsy. Just one silly question: You say to "crumble" the ramen noodles...does that mean you don't cook them first?

Topsy
06-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Sounds like it could be interesting, Topsy. Just one silly question: You say to "crumble" the ramen noodles...does that mean you don't cook them first?

That's right Shoe....it's kinda like a crunchy topping over your salad. I kid you not...this is DELICIOUS!!!

Shoe
06-24-2010, 09:03 PM
That's right Shoe....it's kinda like a crunchy topping over your salad. I kid you not...this is DELICIOUS!!!

Thanks. I just wanted to clarify.

Fiddler
06-25-2010, 06:27 PM
I was wondering about the ramen noodles, too, thinking that I might substitute chow mein noodles instead, you know this kind:
http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/images/Chow-Mein-Noodles.jpg

but will give the ramen noodles a try on your recommendation, Topsy, especially since I don't know if I can find a chow mein noodle I can eat (any without hydrogenated fat?)! Ramen noodles are just, what, wheat flour and water--maybe some salt?

I love having another raw food idea (more-or-less) to try--thank you!