PDA

View Full Version : One sick, one healthy

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-10-2012, 01:19 PM
For those of you homeschooling more than one child... I'm curious to hear how other folks handle school work when one kid is sick and the rest of the family is healthy.

My poor daughter is still battling a stomach virus today, but her brother is his usual fine and frisky self. I decided to have him do his own work this morning (math, copywork, work on revising a rough draft of a writing project), and leave the subjects that the kids do together until tomorrow. Maybe we'll watch a nature documentary this afternoon.

What do you do when one kid is sick and the other one (or ones) is healthy?

CatInTheSun
12-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Ubiquitous other = "it depends" in this case. Usually I go by the rule that everyone tries to do something *close* to what they are able, with a little extra fun activities or slack because: (1) I'm probably busy taking care of the ill, and (2) others are likely either recovering, also ill, or about to get sick.

Stomach virus? I'd probably do just as you did -- a little solo coursework for the other just to keep him busy and quiet. :)

farrarwilliams
12-11-2012, 09:30 AM
It depends on how sick, of course, but usually the healthy one does a little bit of school and then we do read alouds and documentaries together with low expectations.

MrsLOLcat
12-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Is it wrong that I have no idea? DS has had a cough for the last couple weeks, but he's felt fine and never run a fever... other than that, they haven't been sick this school year. When it was just DS, I'd do a few things and mostly just let him watch Animal Planet or Discovery. I *think* I'd probably do a regular school day for the healthy one because otherwise that child will be in pestering the sick one, but I really don't know...

kewb22
12-11-2012, 11:29 AM
It depends on how sick the sick one is. Did I get a good nights sleep? Sometimes it is full on school day for the healthy one and sometimes it is to heck with it lets watch a movie day.

inmom
12-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Other. Since the kids are teens, they work, for the most part, independently. However, they are close enough in age that they are both learning physics from me, so if one is sick that day, the other just doesn't do physics that day. The rest of the work is still expected.

Yes, I'm a big meanie.......

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Did I get a good nights sleep?

Fortunately (relatively speaking), our all-night Puke-a-thon was Friday night. I don't think I could have managed anything productive the next day, even teaching the healthy kid.

However, they are close enough in age that they are both learning physics from me, so if one is sick that day, the other just doesn't do physics that day. The rest of the work is still expected.

Yes, I'm a big meanie.......

Mine are close in age too, so we didn't do any of their combined subjects yesterday.

And who says it's mean to have the healthy kid do school? The whole class doesn't get the day off in B&M school when one kid is sick, right? :)

Jeni
12-15-2012, 09:33 AM
I've always pretty much just canceled everything. We'll see if that changes over the next couple years.

CrazyCatWoman
12-24-2012, 07:56 PM
The Puke Fairy visited us twice this week, same kid. The first time he woke me up at 2:00 am with those words we love to hear "I barfed in my bed." He is top bunk, and reality is, he barfed on everything on the floor, which as usual was a mess. I spent several hours trying to clean up. We did no work that morning as I needed to steam the shag rug (joy of joy, shag rugs and puking kids!) Then I went to bed. And we only read a little of the Hobbit to count as work that day for all three kids.

Normally, if I get sleep and one is sick with fever or listless, I let them read or watch TV. The others have to do most of their work. I usually forgo science as it is experiments, but we will do history as I am usually reading to them.

CrazyCatWoman
12-24-2012, 07:58 PM
If I am sick it usually ends up being a day that the kids watch documentaries or such where I don't have to do anything.

Sionnon
12-24-2012, 09:06 PM
"Other" It depends on how sick, and how much sleep I've had. Sometimes I expect the other child to do his work, sometimes we just watch documentaries etc. Rarely do I cancel 100%.