PDA

View Full Version : Video on how the earth was form?

blasphemoushomemaker
12-09-2012, 10:36 PM
The kids asked me how the world started, but all the videos I'm finding are way over our heads.

dbmamaz
12-09-2012, 11:03 PM
How old are your kids? I'm trying to remember where we first read about the big bang ... i have a book called Bang the universe verse, but that was pretty over Raven's head when we read it 2 years ago. I know there's another book with the word Bang in the title that other people have recommended.

i'm really looking forward to the new series, Cosmos, which is supposed to come out some time . . . on Fox, oddly. but it keeps getting put off. Maybe this coming spring

blasphemoushomemaker
12-09-2012, 11:12 PM
5 and 7. I tried to explain it but they both learn much better with videos or photographs.

dbmamaz
12-09-2012, 11:17 PM
what we've been reading recently is that the big bang happened in a fraction of a second or maybe didnt really happen at all. i dont think i've ever seen a video representing it. but you should check and see if your library has anything picture book

by the way . .. i always read your name as blasphe . . mouse . . homemaker.. for whatever reason. i'm a failed feminist and a failed homemaker.

farrarwilliams
12-09-2012, 11:20 PM
There's a book called Shaping the Earth that we read last year and really liked, but it's probably a little too much for your 5 yo. All the Seymour Simon books about earth science are really good and he has ones called Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Mountains, and another one just called Earth, but none of them are exactly what you're looking for.

We watched a Netflix documentary and while much of it was over my kids' heads, they got much of it as well and we stopped to talk about it a good bit. It was really interesting.

blasphemoushomemaker
12-15-2012, 05:11 AM
what we've been reading recently is that the big bang happened in a fraction of a second or maybe didnt really happen at all. i dont think i've ever seen a video representing it. but you should check and see if your library has anything picture book

by the way . .. i always read your name as blasphe . . mouse . . homemaker.. for whatever reason. i'm a failed feminist and a failed homemaker.

Blasphemouse...snorfle

blasphemoushomemaker
12-15-2012, 05:16 AM
By the way, I'm no Martha Stewart, but I got tired of all the homemaking blogs that said God hates strong independent women and only girls should learn to keep house blah blah blah. I've got some alarming quotes from those blogs. It's disturbing. So I mostly link to what other people know and only have a few readers but they're like me - alternative snarky moms who want both our boys and girls to manage a house, be good parents, and kick arse out in the world. There's swearing and also doing laundry.

CloverBee&Reverie
12-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Sorry... a little late to this party but I wanted to mention there is a terrific, well-written, poetic picture book called "Older Than the Stars" by Karen C. Fox, Illustrated by Nancy Davis that deals with how the world started. I highly recommend it- I used it as a starting point for our Space/Solar System unit we're in the middle of doing right now. I'm also a fan of the Kingfisher Space Encyclopedia and highly recommend "National Geographic Kids/13 Planets: The Latest View of the Solar System" by David Aguilar. All good stuff. Good luck!

ItoLina
12-17-2012, 02:20 PM
My son is 5 and we really enjoyed Big Bang! The Tongue-Tickling Tale of a Speck That Became Spectacular by Carolyn Cinami DeChristophano. Here (http://Big Bang! The Tongue-Tickling Tale of a Speck That Became Spectacular) it is on Amazon, but we got it at the library. We read through it slowly with a lot of commentary and discussion as we went. I thought it did a good job of explaining.