PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Need fun ideas!

hockeymom
06-23-2010, 12:28 PM
One of DS's friends is over for the afternoon, as a spur of the moment thing, and they desperately need something to do! It's raining outside and they are about to burst with energy. His friend is really curious about homeschooling and what we do all day, and I think he'd love to be involved in some sort of activity. My brain is drawing a blank right now on how to include a friend--does anyone have any easy ideas? We are studying weather right now and I'd been planning to make a wind sock, but I don't have any material at the moment.

Any suggestions are appreciated! :) TIA!

MamaB2C
06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Oh gosh, not knowing what you have in the house makes it hard! I usually go for the paper mache in a pinch.

Snoopy
06-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Print paper soldiers from http://www.juniorgeneral.org/ and have them reenact a medieval battle. To get warmed up, have them check out the online tour of this cool LEGO castle at http://www.hoernersburg.net/LegoCastleAndTownTour.htm

Usually boys love that! Good luck!

hockeymom
06-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Oooohh...paper mache--I wish I knew how to do that (note to self...another project to learn! :) )

Nathalie--that looks like so much fun! I'll definitely remember it for next time. As it turned out, I was able to keep them busy making "gods eyes" I think they are called, those yarn and stick things every kid makes at summer camp, making pet rocks (we have quite the extended family now, they split their time between the garden and the nature table), and drawing from Learn to Draw books. *phew*. Usually they are content just playing cars or something but today I could just sense that they would need more than that. And as it turned out, the wii was never even requested! :)

Thanks for the great suggestions! :)

MamaB2C
06-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Cut up strips of paper (newsprint works best, I get it from packages) dip in goopy paste made from water and flour, wrap around balloons, or plastic bowls, or pop bottles or whatever, let dry (several days), paint or decoupage or otherwise decorate.

I LOVE paper mache, YOU CAN'T MESS IT UP! It's a huge gloppy mess that DS loves, and the results make great gifts. We made bowls and filled them with cinnamon roasted pecans for Christmas, and made a "nest" to hold blown egg ornaments for Easter.

hockeymom
06-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh sounds fun! DS might not like it if it's so messy though, but I would! :) I'm gonna have to file this one away for another rainy day!

Snoopy
06-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Cut up strips of paper (newsprint works best, I get it from packages) dip in goopy paste made from water and flour, wrap around balloons, or plastic bowls, or pop bottles or whatever, let dry (several days), paint or decoupage or otherwise decorate.

I LOVE paper mache, YOU CAN'T MESS IT UP! It's a huge gloppy mess that DS loves, and the results make great gifts. We made bowls and filled them with cinnamon roasted pecans for Christmas, and made a "nest" to hold blown egg ornaments for Easter. I made my own pinata out of papier mache once (btw, this means "chewed up paper" if anyone cares to know) and it was a big mistake because it took an AXE to break through that thing, lol. I think I put too many layers on or something... the kids were so disappointed, they kept on hitting it and hitting it. LOL

Snoopy
06-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions! :) I'm glad it went well and they did something creative instead of just playing videogames. I don't have anything against videogames but usually when I invite kids over it's for them to play together and not stay with their eyes stuck to a screen the whole afternoon. Some kids don't get that because they see that we have lots of computers, Xbox 360, DS, Gamecube and they think they're in videogame nirvana. Not so fast! The look they give me...