PDA

View Full Version : New to Homeschooling from DFW, Texas

SherryZoned
06-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Paganmomblog directed me to this site as I was discussing homeschooling around February!

Luckily Texas is super easy to homeschool!

Unfortunately we are a one car family. So while I am divorced we are still living in the same house adjusting the kids to the fact of the divorce..
So I have to say that is the only problem we are having now is socialization since we do not have a car right now.

Other then that this will be our first full year of homeschooling.
I took my 10 year old out in February before the TAKS testing because we were just done with the whole situation.
I have not got any materials yet.. I am seeing what I can find online and what I can find in the budget to get what I need to get.

I am homeschooling
Almost 11 year old in August 8th.. He wants a laptop for his birthday.. LOL I am making him pay half and watchdog will be on his netbook. Actually this really works for me. He is a researcher child so having his own netbook to work with will help me SO MUCH!

I also have a 5 year old and 2 year old. All boys!
The 5 year old my main focus will be on him learning to read. The math and stuff he can do with random things.. definitely more unschooling for him this year. The 2 year old will tag along with whatever else the boys are doing..
So mainly it is my 11 year old that I willl be focused on making sure I have the materials for..

I ramble BTW if you had not noticed!

Sherry

pandahoneybee
06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey Sherry! Welcome to the group! I think that you will find that you can ramble for days up here and we don't care;) You probably already know but our resource page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources)has alot of info on it. And we have a great Texas group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=27) so check it out too. I have two boys myself and the dogs are boys too (if that counts) I am the QUEEN of the castle! I think that even with one car your kiddos can get socialized, we had only one car for the longest time. Inconvenient but if I needed the car I would just take DH to work then have to pick him up later. Sorry to hear about the divorce, but sometimes its for the best. Hoping that you stop by often!

SherryZoned
06-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the links and welcome!
I won't take him to work lol. I just refuse to deal with traffic! I am a weenie! Plus there is no air conditioning and the hassle..lazy yes I am when it comes to the car.
However I do volunteer work so every time there is an event the kids get to go which helps immensely!
The divorce is the easy part right now lol!

Yes I will be back..

SherryZoned
06-22-2010, 02:53 PM
ok I figured out a way to not be so overwhelmed. I am going to get the book What your Sixth Grader Needs to know.. I think that will help immensely!

schwartzkari
06-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi Sherry :)
I also live in TX. YAY for easy homeschooling! lol.
Welcome to the group, I absolutely love it and the people here!

Shoe
06-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find lots of good advice and resources here.

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Hey Sherry! Welcome to the group! I think that you will find that you can ramble for days up here and we don't care;) And I'd like to specify that we don't care if you ramble 'cause some of us ramble too and we don't mind it. So it's not that we don't care, it's that we don't mind. We do care. Mostly about whether you like Nutella or not, clean your fridge every day or not, and if you like They Might be Giants.

No, I kid. Welcome to the group! I'm glad Angela referred you, we're having tons of fun over here! I went through a divorce with 3 kids myself (although remarried for 9 years now and with a 4th child and a couple of stepdaughters) and the hardest but most rewarding part was to try to put all the hurt and anger away and manage to have a good and friendly relationship with my ex for the sake of our kids. We decided to co-parent so we share custody 50/50 and our kids spend one week here and one week at their dad's. I didn't homeschool until Noah (my youngest) was 2.5 though.

We have a few Texans onboard so maybe you'll find someone local.

pandahoneybee
06-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the links and welcome!
I won't take him to work lol. I just refuse to deal with traffic! I am a weenie! Plus there is no air conditioning and the hassle..lazy yes I am when it comes to the car.
However I do volunteer work so every time there is an event the kids get to go which helps immensely!
The divorce is the easy part right now lol!

Yes I will be back..
I dont blame ya, didn't think about being in the car with him during rush hour LOL

pandahoneybee
06-22-2010, 07:05 PM
ok I figured out a way to not be so overwhelmed. I am going to get the book What your Sixth Grader Needs to know.. I think that will help immensely!
I loved that book of course when it told me things that i didn't do I just ignored it;)

SherryZoned
06-22-2010, 07:40 PM
LOL excellent plan! I just need a starting point...

Public school really has put him back on a few things like multiplication and cursive handwriting.. DARN YOU TAKS TEST!

Topsy
06-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Welcome Sherry!! We are so glad you are here!! Mom of all boys here too (there is a support group here on Wednesdays at 10 pm - JK!!) I am in awe of your situation. We recently thought we were going to have to be a one-car family and I nearly had a stroke just considering it!! Fortunately, it didn't end up that way, so I saved my stroke for the next potential drama. ;) But being a one-car family in the midst of a divorce in the summer heat of Texas...well...lets just say I'm submitting your name today for sainthood!!! ;)

Hang in there, and hang out with us often. We are fun and we will make the time go by faster. :cool:

marie
06-26-2010, 01:47 PM
i'm from dfw too. and new to homeschooling, as well.
hi :)
our son just turned 9. and he's THRILLED about homeschooling. it's a decision we struggled with for a few years. but we've finally taken the leap.
and we're nervousexcited and jumping in headfirst.

Home-schoolMomma
06-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Welcome! Welcome ! Welcome :)

SherryZoned
06-27-2010, 11:42 AM
That is what we are doing..Jumping in and hoping for the best!

marie
06-27-2010, 01:07 PM
there are quite a few of us from dfw.
i have looked into a few different groups, for social activities and co-op learning opportunities....
are you all involved in any of that?
seems that alot of us are just beginning this journey. (which somehow makes me feel a little less.....on the deep end)

xox

BeverlyM
06-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Welcome and good luck! One of the ways that I get socialization is by having meetings and play dates at my house a lot. We have a homeschool girl scouts troop and I have a local yahoo group, so I open my home up for the meetings and I don't have to drive :) I do have two cars, but just some tips you might want to try :)

Shoe
06-27-2010, 09:05 PM
i'm from dfw too. and new to homeschooling, as well.
hi :)
our son just turned 9. and he's THRILLED about homeschooling. it's a decision we struggled with for a few years. but we've finally taken the leap.
and we're nervousexcited and jumping in headfirst.

Welcome to the site, too, Marie. Enjoy the homeschooling ride. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers.

SherryZoned
06-28-2010, 12:10 PM
There is a yahoo group counties edge that they do try and plan playdates,. I have not been able to participate due to my car situation! The group board itself is not very active but maybe it will pick upp again in the fall.

pandahoneybee
06-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Mostly about whether you like Nutella

still don't know about this one;)

SherryZoned
06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Of course we love Nutella! lol

Melissa541
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I LURVE Nutella. I think the ads they have are ridiculous, but I love the product. :)

Anyway, Hi! We're in DFW, too; Garland, actually. My kiddos are pretty close to your boys' ages, but all girls.

Homeschooling is super easy here, but not so easy to find secular groups. We do belong to an awesome inclusive co-op & playgroup that meet in Rockwall. Are you close to Garland or Rockwall?

The car situation sucks, but summer here sucks even more, so you don't really want to leave the house for the next couple of months anyway, do you? ;) We hate the heat & the crowds, so we wait until the PS kids go back to school & it isn't so awfully miserably hot to leave the house unless we absolutely must (like, if we run out of Nutella).

Fiddler
06-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Nut allergies, so no Nutella here. :(

But welcome, and enjoy the journey! Homeschooling can be fun. It can be frustrating, too, but this group goes a long way to help ameliorate that!

jennyito
07-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi Sherry,
We spend part of our year in TX. There's a big group of secular homeschoolers in DFW. The yahoo group is called DFW School-Free Education Zone (DFWSaFE).
Welcome to the adventure!

Jen

SherryZoned
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the tip Jen. I have looked but have not come across that yahoo group!

jennyito
07-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Here's a link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DFWSaFE/

SherryZoned
07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks Jenny!