PDA

View Full Version : What is happening at your house RIGHT NOW?

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Teri posted this type of thread back in June and it was a lot of fun to see everyone's answers so I thought I'd start a new one!

Right now Noah just finished a math worksheet (equations, he had already forgotten how to solve them and we only stopped formal math studies 2 weeks ago aarrggh!) and is cleaning up the living room because a couple of his friends are coming this afternoon for our weekly "Movie at Our House" event.

I'm about to go to the post office to mail the FIAR books to Jessica.

My older kids are still in bed. Not sure if they're sleeping or lounging about, but it's nice and quiet and the house is remaining relatively clean for now (yes, people, I CLEANED this morning, lol!)

We're listening to the Rachmaninov station on Pandora via the Roku.

I'm pondering whether to bake brownies or banana chocolate chip muffins for snacks this afternoon... maybe I'll do both.

One of my cats just peeked her head around the corner to see if I was still here... I'm peeved at her because she's shedding all over the place and my dust bunnies were more like dust polar bears this morning. I need to use the awesome brush (http://www.amazon.com/Love-Pet-Grooming-Tool-shedder/dp/B000P524NQ)that I got for that purpose. Last time I did this, I got rid of so much cat hair! But she hates me so she'll fight me the whole time and I'm not looking forward to getting a mouthful of cat hair everytime I tell her to just lie still!

Tag, you're it!

Shoe
06-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Not much exciting here. My wife's on the phone, both kids are still asleep (no formal education today-Matt's a bit burned out on math, so we're taking a bit of a break) and I'm about to go mow the lawn.

Jessica
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm about to go to the post office to mail the FIAR books to Jessica.
Woohoo!

In my house it is pretend play, as usual. It sounds like Ben 10 is fighting a werewolf.

We were going to get back to school stuff today because it is dreary and rainy in WNY, but Nik has a dentist appointment for a cleaning this afternoon so we decided to just put it off until tomorrow.

I am about to clean the guinea pig cage and do a load of laundry.

hjdong
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
James and I are lying in bed; he always comes to our bed in the morning. I'm having my coffee and downloading the new iphone OS (predicted time: 7 hours remaining, ah, crappy internet). DH has left on the financhial news, which he switches on as soon as I decide he's done and switch it off, so I'll wait until he goes to work.

On the schedule for today: laundry and cleaning. Ah yes, it's barrels of fun at my house this week ;-) .

Riceball_Mommy
06-22-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm trying to catch up reading posts on here, Talena just ran down stairs to talk to Busha (my mother in law) and I'm mostly waiting for my grandfather to call.

reversemigration
06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Ah, vacation at the grandparent's house...that miraculous land where machines wash dishes, the entire house has a/c, and satellites beam hundreds of channels directly to your TV!

I'm happy to be the only coffee drinker in this house, so I'm bogarting the entire carafe while I browse the library catalog from back home and see what Teaching Company stuff they have (I've pretty much settled on curriculum, but y'all keep finding more stuff for me to think about!) All three kids are parked in front of the TV watching SpongeBob. They're relatively low media at home, so this is their chance to turn into little glassy-eyed cartoon monsters, if only for a few days. After they're tired of that, we're going down to the creek to play (and so I can find some clay to use!) Their uncle is coming over to work in the garden, so they'll probably help him weed and water. I'm hoping to go to Books-a-Million or B&N in the afternoon, and then take them all to see Toy Story 3.

Maybe it's not true unschooling but it's fun...if only for a few days. :)

Museling
06-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Ben- I love that! "Glassy eyed cartoon monsters"

I'm peering into my Lost Dharma coffee station mug and trying to remember if I got the last cup of coffee or not. Logan just came in here asking if we could get started this morning on homeschool -today is more math, geography, spelling and science! I need to go get some more crafting supplies and I'm thinking about going to a art store across town so we can get some clay (I've been in an art mood myself). I also hope to make it by the Library and get our library cards- something I never did as a child so it's going to be hard for me to keep up the habit. Going to try and get caught up in here since my hiatus and try and get mentally prepared for my job to start back up this Thursday. I had a long break this time (5 weeks total) so I'm having a hard time remembering all the ingredients for the menu items! Urg, but I'm looking forward to seeing my boss and coworkers. Other than that, it's just another hellishly hot day in Texas! (already at 91 here!)

Wilma
06-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I am covered in dirt and sweat from pulling ivy and Virginia Creeper up in the back yard. My youngest is over at the neighbor's house checking on their dog that she is watching while they are on vacation. I am trying to get up the motivation to run before it gets too hot. I am also trying to get motivated to work with my youngest on getting rid of all that junk under her bed. I have no idea what my 2 older ones are up to as they are at camp this week. It will be 98 degrees where they are today.

jessicalb
06-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I just woke up am am eating cheap fake honey bunches of oats and reading this site. Alex is reading his history of the universe comic. (Also making fart noises I can hear in the next room with his door closed, ahh, the joy of boys.) He just finished practicing Farsi.

We are exceptionally boring today.

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Maybe it's not true unschooling but it's fun...if only for a few days. :) What are you talking about?!? Spongebobology is a favorite subject here! Noah always claims to have learned whatever I ask him about from Spongebob :) We're going to see TS3 on Friday afternoon. Will you see the 3D version or just 2D? I can't decide if I want to pay the extra $2 per person for the 3D. That's an additional $10 for us...

Busygoddess
06-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Let's see. Right now, it's almost 11am. Jay is doing his Math. We got a late start on the day, so this is only his second subject (they colored until 10am). Dea is on the computer researching her musician & artist for the week. She's mad at me because I told her that she couldn't do an art project today. She was told she could color until 9 & then she needed to start school. She ignored that, and I had to tell her (again) to start school just before 10am. Then, she took 15 minutes to clean up (even though all the crayons, colored pencils, paper, stencils, etc. is still all over my living room) & spent another 15 minutes asking to do art projects that we don't have the time or materials to do.
We'll have lunch soon. Then, Jay & I will spend the afternoon doing Science. We're finishing his projects & experiments, finishing his notebooking pages, doing his posterboards, and getting his 'museum exhibit' set up.

BPier12
06-22-2010, 12:18 PM
What are you talking about?!? Spongebobology is a favorite subject here! Noah always claims to have learned whatever I ask him about from Spongebob :) We're going to see TS3 on Friday afternoon. Will you see the 3D version or just 2D? I can't decide if I want to pay the extra $2 per person for the 3D. That's an additional $10 for us...

We went to see it last week and we saw the 2D version. I really am not fond of 3D -- the colors look really dull to me and I can't stand wearing the glasses. The 2D version was just fine, and we loved it.

inmom
06-22-2010, 12:26 PM
My son just finished typing his latest monthly edition of the family newsletter that he converts to PDF form and emails out to several family members and friends.

My daughter is babysitting 4 kids: 7, 5, 4, and 2 years old. She loves it!

I just got back from dropping her off. I DID manage to get in a run before it got too hot (Wilma!) and paint a closet before we had to leave.

Rest of the day? Picking produce from the garden, packing kids to go to grandparents, and packing myself and hubby for a 20th anniversary trip! Woo hoo!

elkhollow
06-22-2010, 12:36 PM
We're taking our mid-day school break. This morning dd had more math struggles (she can do the flashcards, no problem, but put a pencil in her hand and a math sheet in front of her and she miraculoulsy forgets what 3+4 is.) Right now the two of them are jumping around in the schoolroom. It sounds like elephants in there. I'm afraid to look.

camaro
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
So far today I've got laundry on the go while the boys are doing school work online (Cool Math 4 Kids, Starfall) and Mitchell did some Math Ninja on Carla's iTouch. I've got some yard work to do later and we'll head into Swift Current this afternoon to pick up some cheques for selling some cattle, have supper out and maybe we'll take in a Swift Current Indians baseball game, too.

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
My daughter is babysitting 4 kids: 7, 5, 4, and 2 years old. She loves it!

... packing myself and hubby for a 20th anniversary trip! Woo hoo!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Wow, 20 years! Where are you guys going? I promise I won't show up :)

Can I ask you how much your DD charges for babysitting? My DD (11, almost 12) will be taking a babysitting class in August and might babysit my friend's kids (just 2 of them) once in a while. I'm not sure what the going rate is because I never use babysitters...

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
So far today I've got laundry on the go while the boys are doing school work online (Cool Math 4 Kids, Starfall) and Mitchell did some Math Ninja on Carla's iTouch. I've got some yard work to do later and we'll head into Swift Current this afternoon to pick up some cheques for selling some cattle, have supper out and maybe we'll take in a Swift Current Indians baseball game, too. How did Mitchell like the Math Ninja game then?

camaro
06-22-2010, 01:18 PM
How did Mitchell like the Math Ninja game then?

He said it was fun, so I asked if he thought it was a "little fun" or a "lot of fun". He said "little fun". I figure he liked it thought because he played for more than an hour. He only brought it back when the battery was down to 20%. :)

camaro
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Rest of the day? Picking produce from the garden, packing kids to go to grandparents, and packing myself and hubby for a 20th anniversary trip! Woo hoo!

Congratulations, Carol! Coincidently today is 10 years for Carla and I which is part of the reason for the supper and ball game tonight. :)

StartingOver
06-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Both of the kids are taking a nap, and I just finished Oliver Twist. Now off to clean in preparation for Quince's birthday party this weekend.

warramra
06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
DD5 had her dental cleaning this morning. So we just puttered around this morning. With the two older girls away at camp we are kind of at loose ends around here...I can only build train tracks so long before my brain starts to ooze out of my ears.

Right now dd5 is painting at the table while ds3 finishes his lunch and watching Clifford on PBS. They will go play in the wading pool/sprinkler in a little while. I'm spending my day picking up around the house and surfing on the computer. Really trying to stay away from any curriculum sites ;)

Amy

paganmomblog
06-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Right now my kids are vegging in front of cartoons eating RAMEN NOODLES (giggle snort). They did some work yesterday at their request, today they don't seem to interested and I am not stressed about it.

reversemigration
06-22-2010, 02:18 PM
I am covered in dirt and sweat from pulling ivy and Virginia Creeper up in the back yard. My youngest is over at the neighbor's house checking on their dog that she is watching while they are on vacation. I am trying to get up the motivation to run before it gets too hot. I am also trying to get motivated to work with my youngest on getting rid of all that junk under her bed. I have no idea what my 2 older ones are up to as they are at camp this week. It will be 98 degrees where they are today.

Virginia Creeper is evil. EVIL!

reversemigration
06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
What are you talking about?!? Spongebobology is a favorite subject here! Noah always claims to have learned whatever I ask him about from Spongebob :) We're going to see TS3 on Friday afternoon. Will you see the 3D version or just 2D? I can't decide if I want to pay the extra $2 per person for the 3D. That's an additional $10 for us...

The review I saw...maybe it was over at Salon?...said that there wasn't that much more bang for the buck in 3D. So I, being a cheapskate, am gonna push the 2D version for tonight. 3D is definitely the way that studios/theatres are trying to increase their revenues.

reversemigration
06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary, Carol! And a trip without children...that's a very nice anniversary present.

inmom
06-22-2010, 03:22 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Wow, 20 years! Where are you guys going? I promise I won't show up :)

Can I ask you how much your DD charges for babysitting? My DD (11, almost 12) will be taking a babysitting class in August and might babysit my friend's kids (just 2 of them) once in a while. I'm not sure what the going rate is because I never use babysitters...

David, congrats on 10 years! We found the second 10 even better than the first 10; here's to hoping the same is true for you and your wife.

Thanks for the congrats, all. Going without the kids will be weird--they've been on overnights away from us all of 6 nights since my older child was born...she's almost 14. We're off to San Francisco for a very long weekend. We figured we'd only have a 20th anniv once!

Lizzie charges $6 an hour, but keep in mind this is a "mother's helper" job--keep the kiddos occupied so the harried mom can get something done for herself, uninterrupted. She'd probably charge more if it were just her alone. I let Lizzie set her rate, although I think she consulted some friends of hers that also babysit to get a range. This is her first babysitting job; the family are also homeschoolers and we know them through our group. The mother also teaches a twice a month conversational Spanish class in her home, as she grew up as a missionary kid in Mexico. Good luck to your daughter on babysitting!

schwartzkari
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
What is happening right now...my daughter and I finished her lessons at 1:30 and that is when my son wakes up from his nap. The kids had a snack, destroyed the clean apartment in about 5 minutes...my daughter is throwing a beach ball at the front door, my son keeps turning the printer on and off and clapping his hands. And Wow Wow Wubzy is playing in the background.

I love my life. LOL. :)

dbmamaz
06-22-2010, 03:56 PM
We're on summer break this week and last. I"m recovering from staying up way too late w dh yesterday. We did some cleaning this morning, i'm recovering from going grocery shopping to 2 stores in the 97 degree heat, and the boys are clammorring for me to get off the puter and drive them to the pool - better go suit up!

Melyssa
06-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Not much really. The kiddo just finished having frozen pancakes and chocolate milk for lunch and we're headed off to her piano lesson in about 10 minutes. After piano I am stopping by Staples for a few office supplies I need and I read that today is the 70th anniversary of the first Dairy Queen so...why not celebrate by stopping in for a blizzard? LOL

Jessica
06-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Ah, yes, I agree with that! I need to go pull a bunch down in my yard, but it's raining. By the time I get to it there will be so much that it will take days to get it all done!

dbmamaz
06-22-2010, 05:23 PM
for now i'm ignoring the virginia creeper, and trying to keep up w the poison ivy. But i have noticed that my back yard is increasingly looking like a virginia creeper farm.

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Congratulations, Carol! Coincidently today is 10 years for Carla and I which is part of the reason for the supper and ball game tonight. :) HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TOO! Enjoy your romantic date ;)

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Lizzie charges $6 an hour, but keep in mind this is a "mother's helper" job--keep the kiddos occupied so the harried mom can get something done for herself, uninterrupted. She'd probably charge more if it were just her alone. I let Lizzie set her rate, although I think she consulted some friends of hers that also babysit to get a range. This is her first babysitting job; the family are also homeschoolers and we know them through our group. The mother also teaches a twice a month conversational Spanish class in her home, as she grew up as a missionary kid in Mexico. Good luck to your daughter on babysitting! Thanks Carol!

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Not much really. The kiddo just finished having frozen pancakes and chocolate milk for lunch and we're headed off to her piano lesson in about 10 minutes. After piano I am stopping by Staples for a few office supplies I need and I read that today is the 70th anniversary of the first Dairy Queen so...why not celebrate by stopping in for a blizzard? LOL Well, while we're at it, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DAIRY QUEEN!
Errr, Melyssa, does Brenna eat the pancakes frozen?

Wilma
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM

I have a neighbor who likes it because of the pretty fall color. I say buy a maple.

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 11:00 PM
I have a neighbor who likes it because of the pretty fall color. I say buy a maple. I had to look up what Virginia Creeper looks like and I lilked the picture of the red foliage, lol. I think we might have some of the green variety in the back of our property (which is actually a public easement so I'm not killing myself to clear it out, the city can come and take care of that). When my grandma came to visit me (16 years ago), she was marveling at some weed in my backyard and even took a sample to plant it in HER yard in France. I think that's probably how kudzu got started in the States... a grandmother who just wanted to grow something "exotic" in her backyard (jk, I know how kudzu came about). On that note, I saw kudzy jelly being sold at some artisanal market, once. Has anyone ever tasted it? I didn't.

hjdong
06-22-2010, 11:13 PM
After today, I don't see how we'll ever make it through a whole summer break (years prior we were year round). I let him watch a few of Avatar: The Last Airbender this morning while I did the laundry and cleaned. Friends e-mailed to see if we wanted to go to a sprinkler park. By the time we got home, it was nearly 4. "Whaaat am I going to do nooow? I'm booored." I've entertained you all day, I think you can manage for the next few hours. It wasn't until bed time that he put on DH's socks (ont feet, hands, and head - neat trick that), declared himself "secret spy guy" and ran around happily.

Yeah, it's going to be a long (or short) summer.