PDA

View Full Version : ISO: FIAR Vol 1 or MBTP Concept 1 (Parent/Student)

MrsJadeDragon
11-24-2012, 04:01 AM
I am trying to decide between FIAR or MBTP for my 4 year old and figure the best way to do this is to compare side by side. Would love to get a used copy of the FIAR Vol. 1 or MBTP (Ages 5 - 7) Concept 1 Parent manual. :)

Teri
11-24-2012, 11:38 AM
I don't have either to send you, but I can tell you some differences. Actually, FIAR compares closer to Peek with Books (the preschool curriculum that MBTP uses) than it does to the rest of MBTP.
Both are literature based. I think the similarity ends there. FIAR has you read the same book for five days in a row (hence it's name) and look at different aspects of the book each time you read it. That did not go over well with my kids. They had no desire to keep reading the same book every day for a week for school. They could read it once, do all of the associated activities and be done in a day. :p
I always felt like the FIAR activities were kind of dull. The books are all wonderful classic children's literature, but that didn't play out with what they had you do with them.

MBTP is literature based but it doesn't center around the literature (always). You have a concept and the literature supports the concept, like "relationships" or "change". There are other activities related to the concept that don't necessarily have anything to do with the books you have read. The 5-7 level has relatively few books, but I feel like it is more in depth.
As you can tell, I am a MBTP fan. FIAR did not work for our family, but it is hugely popular and, obviously, works for a huge number of people.

MrsJadeDragon
11-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the input on MBTP, that's very helpful! I like the idea of the concepts in MBTP but am unsure that my 4 year old can sustain interests in the concept for an entire unit; meanwhile, I know that she can read books multiple times with no issue but am concerned that the activities in FIAR will grab her because she likes delving into things.

snowpeople5
12-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Hi, I have FIAR if you still want it. I have all three.