PDA

View Full Version : Please help with a purchase...

Paula
11-18-2012, 01:50 PM
I homeschool through a home-based charter, which gives us "educational enhancements" (coupons for specific educational supply stores). We just got a new $35 batch so I'm trying to decide what to get my first grade, hands-on-learning son. He's excellent at math, just starting to read CVCV words with ease (right on the precipice of fluid reading), loves science and science experiments, games (board and video games), and outdoor play.

I've been thinking about getting some kind of logic game/card set, but I have NO idea what's out there or what's good. Basically I want to get something useful, fun, and recommended.

If you had $35 bucks to spend in an educational supply store, what would you get? What has been your best under-$40 purchase?

:D

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-18-2012, 02:31 PM
There are lots of logic/strategy games out there. We have Logic Links (http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-Logic-Links-Puzzle-Box/dp/B000NR4BLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353265893&sr=8-1&keywords=logic+links+game). They also like the spacial games like Camelot Jr. (http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Tangoes-USA-SG-011/dp/B004TGPQDW/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1353266223&sr=1-3&keywords=castle+logix+game) and Mighty Mind (http://www.amazon.com/MightyMind-40200-MightyMinds-SuperMind-Regular/dp/B00001N2MX/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1353266339&sr=1-1&keywords=super+mind+game). All three of these games have puzzle cards ranging from easy to difficult and can be played alone. And they're all so fun that certain *ahem* adults have been known to play with them when the kids weren't around. :)

I haven't been in an educational supply store in a couple of years, so I don't even know what kinds of things they have. Frankly, if someone gave me a $35 gift card, I would probably stock up on something boring like manuscript paper or dry erase markers. :) I think the things that have had the most longevity are science/nature reference books, Gamewright card games, and our globe (which was found on Craigslist for $10!).

Nicole Pritikin
11-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Rush Hour JR is a great logic game for that age.

ItoLina
11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
My son is 5 and two of his favorite games right now are Zoologic and Color Code.

Paula
11-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Thank you for your replies! I have since looked up each of your suggestions, and they all seem wonderful and just what I am looking for. I added them to my list.

What are some other "little things" (card games, activity books, puzzles) that you all recommend?

WindSong
11-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Have you seen all of the great logic books from Prufrock Press? They are really good. My kids really like some of the Gameright card games like Zeus on the Loose and Rat-a-Tat-Cat. Qwirkle and Blokus are other favorites here. You also may want to look at the Mindware website for various puzzles and games.

ItoLina
11-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Thank you for your replies! I have since looked up each of your suggestions, and they all seem wonderful and just what I am looking for. I added them to my list.

What are some other "little things" (card games, activity books, puzzles) that you all recommend?

Mymson also really likes geopuzzles, we got the set with all the continent from rainbow resource. He also ocassionally does stuff from The Never Bored Kids Book (Evan-Moore).

rueyn
11-27-2012, 07:12 AM
My best, hands-down purchases this year were fraction circles, cuisenaire rods, and fraction cubes. We use them EVERY day, and ds plays with them, too. You know how a kid will find that one thing he/she loves that's totally baffling? Well, my kid LOVES fractions. And the manipulatives have been life-savers!