PDA

View Full Version : Today we spent the day learning about...

reversemigration
06-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Entymology
Riparian Ecology
Geology of sedimentary formations
Tree identification
Dam engineering
and crawdad catching.

(Otherwise known as walking in the woods around, and playing in the creek behind, papa and grandma's house.)

BPier12
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Entymology
Riparian Ecology
Geology of sedimentary formations
Tree identification
Dam engineering
and crawdad catching.

(Otherwise known as walking in the woods around, and playing in the creek behind, papa and grandma's house.)

:cool:!!!!!!!!

Sarbare0704
06-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Awesome! I love making everyday fun into a learning experience! I wish we learned about those things today!

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 12:57 AM
I admit I had to look up what riparian means :) Sounds like you had a great unschooling day, Ben! I keep very fond memories of playing in a creek in front of my parents' house when I was about 4-5. It looked huge and now I'm thinking it probably was the storm drain, lol. I used to catch snails in it. Cliché for a French kid, no?

Today Noah learned about...

Surviving a giant tomato attack using math skills (Math Ninja)
Making a clay bowl with a potter's wheel
Humor in "The Emperor's New School" animated series
Making a hut in his room with 3-sided display boards and all his blankets
Making a pretend compost pile with a cardboard box (to go with his hut)
Repelling the attacks of the Celts (Age of Empires II)
Improving his swimming skills
Caring for his pets
Not bugging his mom when she's in the middle of paying bills :)

reversemigration
06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
It sounds like you had a good (and peaceful!) day. It's really neat that you have a potter's wheel, Nathalie. Where do y'all set it up? Is it very messy to use?

We were mostly just playing yesterday, but I did make Max do half an hour of math and then go practice piano with his aunt. I haven't been as disciplined about math while we've been on vacation as I intended to be - I've been letting him do some math games online and on his DS, and somehow I just have this gut feeling that it won't sink in as well as doing it with paper and pencil. On the other hand, he does it pretty much willingly...so the lack of drama or need for constant supervision has been a plus.

(Sometimes I wish our compost pile was pretend!)

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 10:19 AM
It sounds like you had a good (and peaceful!) day. It's really neat that you have a potter's wheel, Nathalie. Where do y'all set it up? Is it very messy to use?

We were mostly just playing yesterday, but I did make Max do half an hour of math and then go practice piano with his aunt. I haven't been as disciplined about math while we've been on vacation as I intended to be - I've been letting him do some math games online and on his DS, and somehow I just have this gut feeling that it won't sink in as well as doing it with paper and pencil. On the other hand, he does it pretty much willingly...so the lack of drama or need for constant supervision has been a plus.

(Sometimes I wish our compost pile was pretend!)

I got a cheapie one from Michael's. It's made by Creatology and distributed by Michael's and I can't really recommend it. It's all plastic so it'll probably break soon and it didnt' seem to work very well (or maybe we're just not that talented!). If anyone has suggestions for a better one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, LMK!

I find that playing math games (videos or others) really helps Noah because they force him to do drills, which he hates IRL. But he's at a lower level than Max too. And lack of drama is a HUGE plus in my book.

reversemigration
06-22-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't know if I can share this information with DW...she loves any excuse to go to Michael's! Plus, she's the crafty one and I think she actually used to know how to use a wheel. I think I'm the one who'd probably experiment with just how fast the wheel needs to go to throw the clay onto the nearest wall....

This reminds me that there used to be some white clay in the bank of the creek here at my folks' house...I can remember making little pots and letting them dry in the sun. I'm going to see if I can find it again when we go down to the creek again this afternoon. Some days my memory actually functions!

When we started drills last week, Max didn't fight it so much as he completely spaced out. I literally had to redirect him every second problem as I worked on dinner. Now, I know ADDish stuff runs in my family, but this was ridiculous!

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't know if I can share this information with DW...she loves any excuse to go to Michael's! Plus, she's the crafty one and I think she actually used to know how to use a wheel. I think I'm the one who'd probably experiment with just how fast the wheel needs to go to throw the clay onto the nearest wall....

This reminds me that there used to be some white clay in the bank of the creek here at my folks' house...I can remember making little pots and letting them dry in the sun. I'm going to see if I can find it again when we go down to the creek again this afternoon. Some days my memory actually functions!

When we started drills last week, Max didn't fight it so much as he completely spaced out. I literally had to redirect him every second problem as I worked on dinner. Now, I know ADDish stuff runs in my family, but this was ridiculous! This is maddening isn't it? How can they just totally blank out like that? They're not...where was I? Oh right, they're not in their 40's yet!
I need to warn you that the Creativity Pottery Wheel doesn't go fast enough to make the clay fling towards the walls, which is why it's kind of crappy, lol. Sorry to disappoint you. Post pictures of your creations if you and Max find the clay in the creek! We only have sand here in Florida :(

Busygoddess
06-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Wow, sounds like both of you had a great day!

hockeymom
06-23-2010, 06:00 AM
Darn, I hoped you had a secret source for an inexpensive wheel, Nathalie! But this is a good reminder to head to the beach (like I need an excuse!) and collect some clay for hand forming garden art . We have an area nearby that gets all these crazy clay balls that wash up during low tide, and if I can get DS to agree to get his hands dirty, this would be a perfect project.

Snoopy
06-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Darn, I hoped you had a secret source for an inexpensive wheel, Nathalie! Maybe we can get David or one of the handy homeschooling dads some of you might know to build us one? http://www.ehow.com/how_2090073_build-pottery-wheel.html

Clay balls washing up on the beach? That's weird, but I'll take that over tar balls. Post pictures of your son's art if you guys end up making something!

reversemigration
06-23-2010, 10:08 AM
This is maddening isn't it? How can they just totally blank out like that? They're not...where was I? Oh right, they're not in their 40's yet!
I need to warn you that the Creativity Pottery Wheel doesn't go fast enough to make the clay fling towards the walls, which is why it's kind of crappy, lol. Sorry to disappoint you. Post pictures of your creations if you and Max find the clay in the creek! We only have sand here in Florida :(

I dumped everything out of my pockets before leaving the house so as to avoid either losing it or getting it wet, so I don't have pics...however, a good time was had by all. Well, maybe not by the salamander they caught, but it was (eventually) released unscathed. We found some clay to work with, but it was mostly just squished around between fingers and toes instead of being formed into anything...which is okay, they had a lot of fun.

hjdong
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Ah, to live near water. James loves whenever we visit streams (as in, take a long drive). Sounds like you guys had tons of fun. There's up sides to the desert too. I'll think on it and get back to you.

StartingOver
06-23-2010, 03:14 PM
http://homeschoolingintexas.blogspot.com/2010/06/science-fossilized-gecko.html

Gecko Anatomy !!

reversemigration
06-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Ah, to live near water. James loves whenever we visit streams (as in, take a long drive). Sounds like you guys had tons of fun. There's up sides to the desert too. I'll think on it and get back to you.

Right off the bat, I can think of one: low humidity! We've retreated indoors for the rest of the afternoon. It's only June and it's almost 100. Ick!

reversemigration
06-23-2010, 03:22 PM
http://homeschoolingintexas.blogspot.com/2010/06/science-fossilized-gecko.html

Gecko Anatomy !!

Max would have loved that! He's big on reptiles and amphibians lately...he's trying hard to catch one of the Carolina Anoles around here.

StartingOver
06-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Max would have loved that! He's big on reptiles and amphibians lately...he's trying hard to catch one of the Carolina Anoles around here.

My son is always catching anything he can. Gecko's, lady bugs, June bugs, moths, caterpillars, ants, worms, roaches, spiders, even a snake or two but he has to have assistance for those. He is always on the look out for new critters. hehehe He is getting a new magnifying bug jar for his birthday, as he has destroyed the old one !! Of course his sister needs one now too ! We are starting a nature study next year. I want to photograph everything he finds or studies and keep a scrap book.

ETA: You must share pictures !!!

Snoopy
06-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Cool ! It looks so exotic! I don't think we have blue lizzards (or geckos) here...