PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Showcasing special talents? And Anyone ever start a Robotics/Lego League?

4quivers
11-15-2012, 09:33 AM
You all helped so much in getting ideas for activities in a not so active area. Now if anyone has any ideas on ways my boys can get out there and show what they can do. A talent show happens here in the summer but I'm not sure of anything else.

DS 10 is a wonderful Mandolin player, taught himself and can play anything from She'll be coming Round the Mountain, to The War of 1812. He also is working on a Magic show for the family at THanksgiving. Any other ideas for these two talents?

DS 8 can ride like the wind on his bike and can build the most amazing functional machines with Legos and K'nex. Anyone ever start a Robotics or Lego League? Is there much to it?

DS8 will start Cello lessons soon, so if he does well, there is a Children's Orchestra 1.5 hrs away. A good program my BF's daughter is in.

dbmamaz
11-15-2012, 11:55 AM
I havent started anything exactly, but i'm involved in a FIRST Lego League . . well . .my husband is actually coaching the Junior team, but the team was founded by another woman, who also started the FLL team (ages 9-14) and the FTC team for high schoolers. We are having some big issues with our coach, but at least with FIRST there is some structure set up. You might want to check them out. USFIRST.org (http://www.usfirst.org/)

Honestly for a mandolin player, you might want to connect with other adults who like folk music - they tend to be pretty welcoming people.

farrarwilliams
11-15-2012, 05:00 PM
We do Christmas Eve performances for family - everyone must prepare something.

Destination Imagination and Odyssey of the Mind can also be good ways to showcase a talent - they have challenges for engineering to performing arts, depending on what your team ends up doing.

But I agree with Cara - for a kid 10 yo playing the Mandolin, get him hooked up with some other musicians.

49cats
01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
DS 10 is a wonderful Mandolin player, taught himself and can play anything from She'll be coming Round the Mountain, to The War of 1812. He also is working on a Magic show for the family at THanksgiving. Any other ideas for these two talents?

I don't know about the riding bike or lego talents, but as for the musical talents, I started hosting a jam in my house several years ago. We're on-again/off-again, and attendance is unpredictable, but over the years I've developed an email list of about 15 people who may or may not show. I like the jams because it's about playing music together rather than competition. There's also probably an "oldtime fiddler's association" that may be close enough to travel to. They usually welcome any bluegrassy instrument, not just fiddles. Most states have them and each state has multiple districts so even the small towns have people who get together. Most people here are seniors, and our district hasn't been ideal for my kids, but each one will be different and you may find some good ol' boy (or gal) who would love to take your kiddo under their wing. They also may lead to other contacts who may be younger, or who knows, maybe somebody's kids are already coming...
Another thing I've done is hosted an "open mic nite", (we have a sound system--but you wouldn't have to---just establish a stage) and we gave the kids each "waitperson" responsibilities, serving the parents/audience members lemonade or what have you. It's a lot of work, but very memorable for the kids. Maybe you'd get lucky and have some other family actually contribute and trade off or split duties-- I haven't been so lucky but it's been worth it for the fun the kids have. :)
Oh yeah, and a long time ago, another mom and I set up a monthly presentation group and awarded different colored ribbons for different kinds of presentations--recitation, dance, musical performance, demonstration, show and tell, drama, etc. Again, I've had a heck of a time with people attending reliably, or volunteering to help, but it was worth it for all the kids' benefit. We ended up doing it at a church and had to listen to the occasional Bible recitation, but all in all, it was fun and gave us a reason to prepare a presentation.

Teri
01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
You could see if a local coffee shop would allow you to have a homeschool open mike night, maybe. We had a coffee shop that hosted a homeschool art show for a month that was really cool. They were really nice about it.

hockeymom
01-05-2013, 07:01 AM
You could see if a local coffee shop would allow you to have a homeschool open mike night, maybe. We had a coffee shop that hosted a homeschool art show for a month that was really cool. They were really nice about it.

DH and I used to own a cafe and did things like this. A coffeeshop can be a great venue for young musicians. You might be amazed at the connections made over music.

For biking...are there kids rides available in your area? We have a ton of kids rides here, as well as kids triathlons and the like. Bike clubs are another option, if they exist in your community.

Annelisa
01-27-2013, 02:54 PM

That is an awesome idea! They're a lot of smaller coffee shops in my area that I believe would totally allow us to set up something like this. Thanks for the tip! :)