PDA

View Full Version : Did you vote?

dbmamaz
11-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Just for fun . . . .

dbmamaz
11-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Ok, just so you know, i posted this at like, maybe noon on Tuesday? I didnt know this board was moderated .. . .

farrarwilliams
11-07-2012, 09:31 AM
That's a pretty big lag though.

I only know one person irl who admitted this year to not voting. She was like, "They're all crooks." Well, that's certainly true, but...

inmom
11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Yeppers. My dd also worked as a clerk in the polling place. In Indiana, you can be as young as 16 to work the polls. As we're covering government this year, it was a great way to see everything in action.

dbmamaz
11-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Ok, maybe it was more like 4 pm . . anyways

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Yup. Had to hush the kids up when they tried to look over my shoulder and announce to the whole room whose bubbles I was filling in on the ballot!

Crabby Lioness
11-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Two weeks ago by absentee ballot. It's Pre-Registration Week at the college where dh works, and he didn't want to take any chances on missing the vote.

hockeymom
11-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Yep! and we all stayed up waaayyyy too late last night and woke up waaayyyy too early, so there's no school for us today. It's been all politics and presidents around here for weeks anyway; lots of learning going on.

:_applaud:

EmmaNadine
11-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Of course. And I used one of the seated voting booths so my son could see what I was doing, and explained the ballot to him. And then the election workers gave him his own sticker. :D

farrarwilliams
11-07-2012, 12:43 PM
They wouldn't give my kids stickers this year. Because the stickers are just too official or something. Wouldn't want to let people think they let 8 yos vote. Or something.

I like that we didn't have to wait. We never do. Anyone have a bad line?

ourjourney
11-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Absolutely! Civic duty and all. I took my oldest son with me in order to further familiarize him with the voting process. As we were waiting in line we turned around and discovered our state representative standing right behind us. He was also waiting to vote. Much to our surprise we learned that he lives only two streets away from us. It is a small world.

dbmamaz
11-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I had to wait about 20 minutes to get in, but later I went to the library (also a voting location) and the line was twice as long as where i'd voted. one friend in NOVA said he waited 2.5 hour in the middle of the day

Penguin
11-07-2012, 02:38 PM
My excuse is I'm not a citizen. :-) I've lived here for nearly 20 years, so it effects me just as much as everybody else, but I've never been able to vote. Lately, I've been thinking about finally applying for citizenship, and now that the election is over and I like the result, I'm going to go for it. And next time, I'll be able to answer YES! :-)

Stella M
11-07-2012, 02:50 PM
The idea of having an option is so strange to me. Here, it's vote or be fined. And most of us are too stingy to pay a fine :-)

Jeni
11-07-2012, 02:55 PM
We voted!! We were in and out in an hour. And some of that was waiting for my sister who can be really dense sometimes. She took for friggin ever. My kids got stickers and forms to fill out and vote with.

dbmamaz
11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Wow, you get fined for not voting? thats wild, i've never heard of that!

and not being a citizen is a fine excuse. Dh is not a citizen and has no intention of becoming one. He says we'll retire to canada - which appeals, unless we have grandkids . . .

farrarwilliams
11-07-2012, 03:21 PM
I knew that, Stella, but THAT's what's odd to me! Do you feel like it helps or hurts your election results? Here, sometimes I'm frustrated with people for not voting, but I also think sometimes that it's good that people who aren't informed don't vote.

inmom
11-07-2012, 04:54 PM
The idea of having an option is so strange to me. Here, it's vote or be fined. And most of us are too stingy to pay a fine :-)

The kids and I think that's how it should be here. But most Americans would balk at the idea, saying it infringes on their right NOT to vote. We're a bit independent around here.

Stella M
11-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I find I have no opinion on whether compulsory voting is a positive or a negative.

People generally look forward to the cake stalls and sausage sizzles that polling places hold. I guess the tasty treats sort of soften the blow of having to turn up.

MarkInMD
11-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Yes, and it especially feels good to me to be a Maryland voter this time around, for helping to approve Question 6 for marriage equality. I did something historic!

hockeymom
11-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Yes, and it especially feels good to me to be a Maryland voter this time around, for helping to approve Question 6 for marriage equality. I did something historic!

So did we in Maine! Woot!

Teri
11-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I voted last week on Halloween with the Early Voting option here. My son voted yesterday, though, and there was no line. Not that it really makes a difference in the MOST conservative county in a very conservative state. :p But, we made our minority voices heard. ;)

TriciaJ
11-07-2012, 08:11 PM
I find I have no opinion on whether compulsory voting is a positive or a negative.

People generally look forward to the cake stalls and sausage sizzles that polling places hold. I guess the tasty treats sort of soften the blow of having to turn up.

They give out cake and sausage for voting?? What!?

dbmamaz
11-07-2012, 09:11 PM
seriously, food at voting stations? we have nothing . . . its all very dry and official and like you are being watched and shouldnt talk. and of course its november so its really cold, and you are in a hurry to try to get back to work or whateve r. .. . really not fun at all.

farrarwilliams
11-07-2012, 09:54 PM
I heard some of the people in line in NoVa got pizza. They were interviewing a guy on the local news about his long wait and he was like, "Yeah, it was totally worth it to vote." And dh and I were like, you got free pizza! Of course it was worth it!

Voting is very somber. The poll workers always look confused to me. Everyone seemed a bit... I don't know... dutiful and serious.

Stella M
11-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Lots of schools are polling stations. So they hold election day cake stalls and sausage sizzles as fundraisers. I always think of cake and elections as going together! I used to hang out all day at school on election day 'cos mum was on the cake stall :)

It's pretty laid back. No ID.

dbmamaz
11-07-2012, 10:43 PM
I think i mentioned elsewhere? but the first thing i hit when we got in to the room was a table with three people taking your ID and giving you a 'ticket' to vote . . .but one of the three ticket printers was out of paper, and the woman was sitting there helplessly pressing a button and shrugging, no clue how to change it. that was definitely the bottle-neck. There were maybe 10 booths and only about 3 ppl voting at a time because it was so slow to get your ticket. the ppl seemed like they had blinders on . . they only knew their own little tiny job

farrarwilliams
11-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Many polling places here are schools too - or churches. We have the weird paper deal too, Cara. First, say you are yourself and sign (no ID required). They give you a card. Take two steps to the next table. Give them the card. Get a ballot. Go vote. I find something really cool about seeing them find which pad of ballots is the right one for you and then tearing the perforated edge. It's like a notebook of all ballots. So weird.

I wish we had election day cake stalls. Clearly we need better election traditions! But I'll bet you vote on a weekend when people can hang around instead of running back to work.

Supposedly there was a thing going around where disgruntled conservatives were saying they wished they could leave and move to Australia. I didn't believe it because I was like, come on, they have universal healthcare, the thing you loathe. But no! Someone actually said it on my aunt's wall! I just cracked up. It would be as if, when Bush was president, all the liberals were like, we should move to Russia, where they don't have to deal with this Patriot Act stuff! Or we should move to China where they never use their military to attack innocent people!

Stella M
11-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Oh, they think life under a female, feminist, union lawyer atheist PM is preferable ?!

Yeah, Saturday. Nice and civilized.

Honestly, last time ds and I turned our noses up at the cakes. We bake better at home.

dragonfly
11-08-2012, 12:25 AM
This one, right? Hysterical! :)

hockeymom
11-08-2012, 05:57 AM
I LOVE voting day. It always feels like a holiday to me. We lived in Oregon once during an election and had to do the mail in thing; I know it works, but it felt so anti-climactic.

Our neighborhood was buzzing on Tuesday. We live near the only voting station in town (small town, no need for another) and it was fun to see so many people walking and biking there and running into friends. Lots of kids, too, since school was out for the occasion. Almost every house had signs, which kind of cracked me up because they were basically all the same (we're in the neighborhood of the liberal arts college, so yeah...it's blue!). The lines were long all day, but they went super fast and it was very efficient. Candidates were there shaking hands, which I don't care for but I think a lot of other people do, and the energy was cheery and excited.

Cake would have fit in perfectly. :)

ksb427
11-08-2012, 07:18 AM

Wait, did you say cake stalls and sausage sizzles? Oh, my... :)

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Most of our polling stations are elementary schools, and the PTAs have bake sales in the lobbies to raise money. The poll workers are friendly retirees who check of each name on their list and help you put the ballot into the scanner. They like to chat and showed the kids that mine was the 900-something-th ballot from our precinct. I like seeing people bring their kids and chatting with neighbors on the way in or out. No lines for us at about 4pm, but the workers said that it was very busy in the morning.