PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Susan Wise Bauer on changes in homeschooling.

rueyn
11-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this article link, so I'm putting it here. *Very* interesting read.

Link here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/home-schooling-pioneer-susan-wise-bauer-is-well-versed-in-controversy/2012/10/29/521a3070-da80-11e1-9745-d9ae6098d493_story.html).

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-04-2012, 08:57 AM
I read that, too! Great pics of her family. I'm glad she's standing her ground against the fundies/YEC-ers who are trying to control the conferences.

jenpenny5297
11-04-2012, 09:56 AM
We use her Writing With Ease and love it! I think she is great. She realizes that there are many different types of families who choose to homeschool. ;)

JinxieFox
11-04-2012, 10:59 AM
I love what Susan had to say, not just because we use TWTM, but because she's just straight-up rational.

When I was in Korea, I was the only secular homeschooler in the small group of homeschoolers on base. Most of the women there were nice to me, but they didn't seek out my friendship. One did. She is very Christian. She has 6 children and I've never asked, but I'm guessing they either follow the Quiver Full movement or just don't believe in birth control.

Either way, she never looked at me as "that Pagan homeschooler" or "that secular homeschooler", and I never looked at her as "that Christian homeschooler".

She looked at me as a fellow homeschooler and fellow Air Force wife. We bonded over common things in our lives, and I think that's what Susan is saying in this article - the homeschool community has become quite divisive. It shouldn't be about our religion or lack thereof, how we live our lives, how our marriages work, etc. It shouldn't even be about how we homeschool.

I think it's so cool when we can find common ground in those areas!

But, at the heart of it, homeschooling is about giving our children the best education possible - doing what we feel is best for our children as their parents.

ScienceGeek
11-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks for sharing. My opinion of her just went up a few notches. I'v used a lot of their books, SOTW, reading, writing - love the scripted ones since I'm a science geek and couldn't have told you what the hell a preposition was much less list them! HA!

farrarwilliams
11-06-2012, 02:32 PM
That blog post which they quote in the article was one of the things that has made me love her most. I like that she won't play politics and lets her beliefs be just that, her personal beliefs. I like that she keeps trying to bring the conversation back to academics and that she's clearly interested in a real discussion about those issues and not about the other bits. Whether it's homeschooling or just politics, I hate when people can't agree to disagree about some things then discuss and learn from each other about the things they do have in common.

Christy
11-06-2012, 03:03 PM
When I tried to click on her blog post, or google search for it, I keep getting error messages. Has it been taken down?

This description of how conferences would attempt to control their speakers is just one more of a series of things that are alarming me, around the issue of censorship and echo-chambers. We can find ourselves surrounded by only those who agree with us, and not realize that the reason we're not hearing opposing views is that they are being actively blocked.

farrarwilliams
11-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Hm... I'm not sure. Apparently she combined her personal and WTM blog in the spring... but then she took down her personal blog, it appears. So I don't know.

The big culprits in conferences are the "Great Homeschool Conferences" people, I believe. They started out with a big line up of speakers a few years ago and then slowly got more and more controlling about what they were letting in to the point that they disinvited Julie Bogart and a bunch of other people. And they let SWB stay, but apparently that was some of the behind the scenes nonsense. I don't know all the details and may be misremembering some bits though. I seem to recall that they were in between a rock and a hard place though because while some speakers were pressuring them to be more open, others were pressuring them to do the opposite - threatening not to come if they let so-and-so in. They ran the largest series of conferences by far last year.

dbmamaz
11-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I was kinda bummed - one of the board members of Va Homeschoolers said they were going to try to get her to speak at our (totally inclusive!) conference, but apparently she declined, as they already posted the speakers for this spring and she's not on the list.

Homeschool101
11-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Forget conferences... Anyone else noticed this trend in local homeschooling groups? One group told us we were the wrong kind of Christian. Another group was way too Christian for us. Another group was so anti-religion that the parents would get into literal fights if some mom dared to mention that she was teaching Bible as Literature. We were part of one group that tried hard to be nondenominational -- some activities were opened with a prayer, and people from various religions were asked to give it, and others were totally secular. Ended up moving out of that area and the group is now defunct. Reason? Arguments over religion. Surprise.

Sobeknofret
11-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Yes! Some of the groups here have such a strict SoF that must be signed before joining, I don't know how anyone can agree with them! I don't belong to a group for this very reason.