PDA

View Full Version : I Love Candy

Stella M
11-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Please share your favourite candy recipes here.

BakedAk
11-02-2012, 04:12 PM
My grandmother's peanut brittle was pretty fabulous, but sadly, I don't have the recipe.

This is a great idea, Stella - hope you get lots of posts that are much more interesting than this one! :)

skrink
11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I've got lots of candy recipes. In a food allergy house, candy is the one thing that I rarely have to modify. Hard to go wrong with sugar!

I love brittle, but I hate making it. I found a microwave version that's pretty good, and very easy. We usually use cashews or almonds.

1/2 c. light corn syrup
1 c. white sugar
1 c. salted nuts
1 t. butter
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. baking soda

Butter a cookie sheet (or line with parchment). Combine sugar & corn syrup in a 2 qt. glass bowl & microwave on high 4 min. Stir in nuts and microwave on high 3 1/2 min. more, then stir in butter and vanilla and microwave for 1 1/2 min.

Stir in baking soda and mix well. Working quickly, pour on cookie sheet; tilt until spread thin. Cool completely then break into pieces.

I warm up the cookie sheet in a low oven before I start, helps to keep the candy soft enough to spread.

dragonfly
11-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Mmmm...I might have to make some peanut brittle now!

BTW, a Silpat is great for this--a bit pricey, but awesome. (Link to Amazon search for Silpats (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=silpat&sprefix=silpat%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asilpat))

Stella M
11-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Treacle toffee

275g sugar
2 tbs water
2 tbs treacle
50g butter
1 dessertspoon vinegar

Stir ingredients together, bring to the boil, boil for 12-15 minutes.

When ready, some mixture dropped from a spoon into cold water will form a ball.

Pour into lined baking tin. Score with an oiled knife. Cool and break into pieces.

Try not to break a tooth on this toffee.

dbmamaz
11-02-2012, 11:09 PM
my brittle recipe is almost identical - i also heat up the pan. Mine calls for 1.5 c nuts and only 1/2 tsp baking soda - i could taste the soda when I used 1 tsp. I also use a thermometer so it always sets right - before you stop cooking, make sure an instant-read thermometer says 300 degrees, or it might not be brittle enough

also if you are using raw nuts, put them in at the beginning. and i sometimes use part brown sugar

its hard cuz ppl in other countries use different measurements than we do!

I actually made these last year . . . as a treat for me, i dont remember why. i shared only a few - i made them mini-sized. Without any real milk products, of course, vegan chocolate
Copycat 3 Musketeers Bars Recipe (http://www.grouprecipes.com/64701/copycat-3-musketeers-bars.html)

Jeni
11-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Mine is pretty simple.... Open up candy wrapper, any kind you think looks good at the moment. Take wrapper off. Eat candy. Repeat as needed.

dbmamaz
11-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I've also been using this recipe for caramel corn for years. Raven finally loved it last year! I like to make 2 batches and put it in a big tin under the tree. We can easily demolish a single batch in a night. fyfood, Baked Carmel Corn This recipe came from Jiffy Pop... (http://fyfood.tumblr.com/post/410701769/baked-carmel-corn-this-recipe-came-from-jiffy-pop)

Stella M
11-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Yum, making that this Xmas.

dbmamaz
11-03-2012, 04:38 PM
just re-read it - i cook it in one very large roasting pan - my turkey pan. i do spray it with non-stick spray but have no trouble with it sticking to the pan.

farrarwilliams
11-03-2012, 04:43 PM
I love candy, but mostly I like to just buy it. :)

At Christmas, the boys and I usually make a simple chocolate bark though. You take squares of white and dark chocolate and checkerboard them onto a sheet covered with parchment. Then you melt it in the oven on extremely low heat. When you take it out, you use a skewer to swirl it then sprinkle on sea salt and toasted nuts. When it cools, you break it up. It was a good recipe when they were really little because they could do nearly all the steps.

TriciaJ
11-03-2012, 05:20 PM
This is probably the only thing I've made resembling candy....but it was quite yummy and hard to stop eating. Also, the smell of the buttery pecans when they come out of the oven was worth making it (not the 5 pounds you could likely gain):

Holiday Pecans:
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg white
3 cups pecan halves (I used whole)
4 TBSP melted butter

Heat oven to 300 degrees, line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil, set aside. In a small bowl, stir together sugar, salt and cinnamon, set aside. In a medium size bowl, whisk egg white and 1 TBSP water until foamy. Add pecans to bowl and stir until coated. Pour in sugar mixture and melted butter, stir well. Spread pecan mixture in an even layer on prepared baking sheet and bake at 300 for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and cool completely.

dbmamaz
11-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I do a simpler pecan recipe, in a saucepan - so yummy! no eggwhites and i dont think any butter, but i could be wrong.

Freedom
11-28-2012, 09:31 AM
We make Buckeye's (research-Buckeye trees-counts as a science project). It's just any nut butter (peanut butter usually) mixed with enough powdered sugar to help it form balls that keep their shape. Dip 2/3 of the ball into melted chocolate chips, lay to cool on parchment and they are done. Some people add butter and vanilla but we don't, because it depends on the nut butter you use. For a twist I add Cayenne pepper to the chocolate.

We also make chocolate covered Strawberry's at Valentines, but dipping in chocolate where cayenne pepper has been added. We call them "Passion Berry's" and they are yummy.

MrsLOLcat
11-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Fudge is the closest I get to making candy. That and granola.

Freedom
12-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Fudge is a flop at our house every year and I don't know why we bother. Granola is a constant all year and I think it saves me a lot of $$ because everyone prefers it over cereal.

dragonfly
03-19-2013, 01:07 PM
I just found this recipe and had to share: Homemade Cadbury Creme Eggs (http://food52.com/blog/6103-homemade-cadbury-creme-eggs)

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks really good. Probably much cheaper than the real ones, too.

Kimberlapoderosa
03-19-2013, 01:22 PM
I would love it if those who make granola could share their recipes! :)

Mslksdh
03-19-2013, 01:58 PM
I like that I can modify these recipes to be vegan!

Thanks!

melissa
03-19-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm with Kimberly, I would like to see some granola recipes. The one time I've tried to make it was with an online recipe and it was pretty gross, tasted like burnt oatmeal:(

Accidental Homeschooler
03-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Homemade Marshmallows Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html)

I have not made these but dd15 has and YUM! They are especially good with a bit of coconut extract.