PDA

View Full Version : What do you think when someone tells you

Wilma
06-20-2010, 10:24 PM
"the dishwasher is full."

Does it mean I have tried all possible combinations and I just don't see how I can get another dish in?

Or does is mean I am hoping you will not unload the dishwasher when it is done and see how empty it is because I just couldn't be bothered to put the dishes on the counter above the dishwasher in the machine?

I personally would go with the first choice but I am wondering if I have overly high expectations.

Also, if someone said the "dishwasher is full" would you assume they also ran the dishwasher?

hjdong
06-20-2010, 11:05 PM
In my house it would mean it was full, either with clean or dirty dishes, and DH (because DS never opens the dishwasher) doesn't want to deal with whatever the condition is. It might mean, "Could you run the dishes?" or "Could you empty the clean ones and refill it?"

In all fairness, if I said it, it would mean about the same. No one here would run an empty dishwasher. If anything, I'm made crazy by DH trying to cram in every last dish so they can't be cleaned properly.

Dishes are an issue here.

Wilma
06-20-2010, 11:13 PM
The perpetrator in question here is not an adult although views her/himself as one, if you KWIM.

jessicalb
06-20-2010, 11:22 PM
I would assume that some boy had put things into the dishwasher awkwardly and planned poorly and couldn't be bothered to do better. That is because that is what would happen in our home. ;)

Busygoddess
06-21-2010, 12:08 AM
It depends on who says it.
When my daughter tells me the dishwasher is full, it means that it's time for me to go in, look at it, and tell her how to rearrange half of it so she can fit the rest of the dishes in it. When she comes in 5 minutes later to tell me it's full, it means that it's time for me to check it again & tell her if she can run it or not. Can you tell I got tired of the poorly loaded dishwasher?

If I say the dishwasher is full, I mean that it is full and, if it's full of dirty dishes, that I put soap in & turned it on.

SunshineKris
06-21-2010, 02:00 AM
I have a Clean/Dirty thingy on the front of the dishwasher. If the chuckleheads tell me it's full and the thing is turned to Clean, I tell them they'd better empty it out and mark it on their chart. If it's Dirty, I go and attempt (again) to explain how to properly load a dishwasher. One day they'll catch on, right? Yeah, probably when they move out, have their own place and the dishes come out dirty every time and they can't take it anymore. Now if only I could get the hubby to load the dishwasher properly.

Snoopy
06-21-2010, 07:53 AM
The perpetrator in question here is not an adult although views her/himself as one, if you KWIM. I have a few of those individuals living here so yes, I KWYM. I have told my perpetrators that when they have their own place, I will come and take my revenge: leave my dirty clothes all over their houses, leave dirty dishes everywhere, eat where I'm not allowed to eat, put glasses of very cold water all over the furniture WITHOUT USING ANY COASTERS, put my dirty fingerprints on every shiny surface in the house, take the chocolate ice cream out of the freezer and set it on the top of the fridge and promptly forget about it, draw faces in their windows when they're damp with morning dew right after they've washed them, pee all over the toilet bowl, NOT FLUSH EVER, leave all the lights on, lie down on the couch and refuse to move when my (future) grandchildren try to sit, and above all, shrug my shoulders and roll my eyes and mumble under my breath when they try to talk to me. Oh YEAH. I CAN'T WAIT.

I have a Clean/Dirty thingy on the front of the dishwasher. I made signs like these years ago and nobody ever thinks to switch them around. To be fair, I usually don't empty my dishwasher once it's been run, so it's almost always full of clean dishes. But instead of emptying it, they just keep on piling dishes in the sink and on the counters. With 7 people at home, it doesn't take long for my kitchen to look like a disaster zone.

Earlier this year I experimented with emptying the dishwasher in the morning (My attempt to be more fly-ladylike) and putting the morning coffee cups in it and making a big show of my sink being empty and clean. The way I load the dishwasher, which is the proper, most organized and most efficient way of course, it only takes 5 min to unload it. I changed the sign to "DIRTY" changing the sign on the front and STILL no one loaded the dishwasher. Arrgh.

Now at night when Greg makes an attempt to do the dishes because he thinks I'm taking too long to get started, I have to shoo him out of the kitchen because he puts everything in there willy-nilly. I hate that! What is so hard about putting the big spoons with the big spoons and the little spoons with the little spoons?! They don't go together in the drawer so why should they go together in the dishwasher?! I think I need a Valium or something.

Topsy
06-21-2010, 11:23 AM
I think..."I've taken the wrong *&%$ medicine again, because I think I heard someone say something to me about the dishwasher, and I know good and well that no one in my family but myself has ever noticed whether the dishwasher was full or empty. They only notice when they are out of cereal bowls. Which they solve by simply grabbing the nearest measuring cup, mixing bowl, or even coffee mug. And then put it in the sink where apparently the dishwasher fairies live."

Yep...that's what I'd think.

Sarbare0704
06-21-2010, 11:40 AM
In my house full usually means of clean dishes everyone is too lazy to put away. And we are not at the point where Lucy is old enough to help so it is just the adults here who are the lazy ones! ours usually stays full of clean untill someone decides to actually do the dishes and then it is emptied to only start the cycle over! The terrible part is that we have a portable dishwasher and a horribly designed kitchen with only 4 cupboards (I wish I was joking!) So since this is how we do it the stupid thing stays in front of the sink all the time!! I can honestly say that it has not been put where it goes since Lucys birthday party on Jan 23!!!!! Since it is set up so badly we cannot get to the cupboards when it is hooked up and it really makes us not want to do anything in there! Like cook! Ahhh can you tell that we also have issues with the dishes!

on another note this is my 100th post! woo hoo! Love this group!

Shoe
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM
They only notice when they are out of cereal bowls. Which they solve by simply grabbing the nearest measuring cup, mixing bowl, or even coffee mug. And then put it in the sink where apparently the dishwasher fairies live."Yeah, that sounds like our house...and I was as much to blame until recently. It was a rude awakening to me to find that the "dishwasher fairies" are no more real than the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy :(

dbmamaz
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
i'm lucky in that my husband is the officail cleaner of pots and dishes. I only have to step in when he's out. The kids do have the daily chore of emptying the dishwasher, and dh fills it and runs it after dinner every night. Occasionally he empties and partially refills in the morning before going to work, and I refill and run again some time before i start making dinner. The usual question here is 'is the dishwasher clean'.

Now, my husband, like my father, and, to be sure, myself, has very exact ideas of how the dishwasher should be loaded. He does NOT want anyone putting a dish in the machine if he is in the house, other than him. So the ONLY person who would say 'the dishwasher is full' would be dh, indicating that everything else will have to wait until he runs this load. However, he doesnt like to run the load before he goes to bed (on weekdays, that is), because he seems to think its noisy (we actually have a very quiet dishwasher.) I dont argue with the dishwasher.

Snoopy
06-21-2010, 01:52 PM
on another note this is my 100th post! woo hoo! Love this group! Party Time! Congratulations Sara, on being a senior member! I saw you say to someone, a couple of days ago, "I'm new too" and I was going to say "What are you talking about?! You're close to 100 posts!" but then I realized you meant "new to homeschooling". lol.

Snoopy
06-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Yeah, that sounds like our house...and I was as much to blame until recently. It was a rude awakening to me to find that the "dishwasher fairies" are no more real than the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy :( As long as you don't try to tell us that Santa isn't real (LALALALALALA, I can't hear you!)

Shoe
06-21-2010, 01:55 PM
As long as you don't try to tell us that Santa isn't real (LALALALALALA, I can't hear you!)

Of course Santa is real...someone tried to tell me he wasn't one time, and we're no longer friends. I can't have my "friends" lying to me like that :(!