PDA

View Full Version : Post Sandy Schooling

Mum
10-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Any other East Coasters having a hard time getting out of the hunker down mode and back into schooling mode after the past three days?

We have power but with the huz home and everyone in the neighborhood off from work still, I'm having trouble transitioning back.

Crabby Lioness
10-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Any other East Coasters having a hard time getting out of the hunker down mode and back into schooling mode after the past three days?

We have power but with the huz home and everyone in the neighborhood off from work still, I'm having trouble transitioning back.

As someone who lived through Katrina and Rita, the best lessons for right now are Dealing With Emergencies, Current Events, and Cuddles.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
10-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Hi, Mum! Glad to hear that you came through okay.

We had a hard time with school work yesterday--bendy trees and Daddy were very distracting. Today has gone better so far. No ideas, but I'm sure you'll be back in the swing of things soon.

Mum
10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Monkey Mama!

It's one of the negative parts of my homeschooling experience. Getting back to work is doubly hard for me when the physical environment is the same one I've used to chill out in for the past five days. When I was in the workforce, the geographic movement from my house to the office or schoolroom helped me mentally transition.

I need to find another local hser willing to trade spaces with me during school hours. ;)

dbmamaz
10-30-2012, 01:12 PM
dh hates being around us, so he's locked upstairs in our room, not distracting at all. but i was better focused yesterday - mostly because of the robotics drama . . .another round of emails last night, and a meeting this afternoon (weather looks totally calm, so i'll go). Kids had a better attitude yesterday, too, for some reason.

Crabby Lioness
10-30-2012, 01:36 PM
dh hates being around us, so he's locked upstairs in our room, not distracting at all. but i was better focused yesterday - mostly because of the robotics drama . . .another round of emails last night, and a meeting this afternoon (weather looks totally calm, so i'll go). Kids had a better attitude yesterday, too, for some reason.

Yesterday they had the emergency to focus on. Now the stress is catching up with y'all.

farrarwilliams
10-30-2012, 01:46 PM
We've gotten three (today being the third) awesomely productive school days out of this storm. Hunker down usually means activities canceled and time for projects and fun stuff at home around here. Every year, I think how I kind of miss the Snowmageddon year. That was awesome, that was. So much school done.

But I was pretty confident that the storm wouldn't be that bad for us and we have never lost power here. If I was in NYC, obviously, that would be a different story.

hockeymom
10-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Politics have been the longer lasting distraction around here; DS is hooked on playing Presidents vs. Aliens and reading books about various presidents. He's a walking vault of random knowledge now about long-ago presidents, lol. But math, writing, daily stuff? Not so much.

Mum
10-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Yesterday they had the emergency to focus on. Now the stress is catching up with y'all.

Exactly, CL.

I tried something very different for us. I sent the huz downstairs with a Halloween craft to do with the kids, without me so I could plan school for the rest of the week. So far so good.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks, Monkey Mama!

It's one of the negative parts of my homeschooling experience. Getting back to work is doubly hard for me when the physical environment is the same one I've used to chill out in for the past five days. When I was in the workforce, the geographic movement from my house to the office or schoolroom helped me mentally transition.

I need to find another local hser willing to trade spaces with me during school hours. ;)

We all need little one-room schoolhouses in our back yards so we can physically move into "school mode" (and away from the toys!). Ooo, daydreaming about the possiblities now...

WindSong
10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
I love that back yard schoolhouse idea, AMM! We are definitely having a hard time getting back into the swing of things. Dh was home yesterday which was wonderful, but too distracting for us to do school. I read to dd and that's about all she and I got done today. However, ds had to make a dish from Germany for his online world geography course. To my good fortune and delight, he chose German Chocolate cake! :D He was definitely the most productive of us all.

farrarwilliams
10-30-2012, 04:24 PM
We school out of the house when we need to. I like to go to the Panera up the street.

The election is a current obsession here too, Hockeymom. Mushroom is following in his father's footsteps. He even carved his pumpkin to say "Vote."

hockeymom
10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
We school out of the house when we need to. I like to go to the Panera up the street.

The election is a current obsession here too, Hockeymom. Mushroom is following in his father's footsteps. He even carved his pumpkin to say "Vote."

That's awesome! :)

Mine won't carve pumpkins. He doesn't like the insides, or using his hands more than he needs to. :(

jujsky
10-30-2012, 10:35 PM
We took yesterday off so I could clean in case we lost power for days (we didn't). Today things were back to normal.

It'sallgood
10-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Planning time for this week was preempted by storm prep. Then the local ps cancelled school for Monday. Ds likes to have "snow days" when the ps does, so day off Monday, and supposed planning time for mom. But just before I sat down to plan again, got a huge hurricane-inspired headache and had to go to bed. Ps cancelled Tuesday, so great. Now it's Wed. and I should be planning, but am on this site instead. So yeah, we're a bit off this week! :)

rktowne
10-31-2012, 07:24 AM
We still don't have power but that's nothing new in my neighborhood. We live in the sticks in NH. We lose power all the time and usually for several days at a time. We joke and say that the power company has our town listed as "self-sufficient" so they fix everyone else first. Our generator is humming right now so we can cool the fridge and everyone took showers. Outside the whole area hums with generators. We only run it for a few hours in the morning and then a few hours around supper. So school has been strange for sure. I had extra kids in the house the last 2 days. When the colleges closed the girlfriend and my oldest were here. And the charter was closed 2 days so that kid was here. And the local public school closed so neighborhood kids were here....
Schooling was D&D for hours, chess matches, Order of the Stick & Munchkin. Oh, and a game of Uno that forced me to move all oil lamps a safe distance away...that one got rowdy! I did a lot of knitting and my son, my brilliant son showed me that my headlamp adjusts and I didn't know that before. I've had that headlamp for years but never used it for knitting before. Once aimed properly it worked out brilliantly.
My DH seems to always go to work so we're used to doing all storm related stuff ourselves but I STILL CAN'T start the generator alone. Sheesh. My boys can. :)
I hope any of you who really had losses during the storm are coming through okay.

mermo
10-31-2012, 09:45 AM
We have stayed on track pretty well. No power for 36 hours (back on, woohoo) helped us get a lot done. The painting interpretation of the hurricane was pretty intersting.
Mum, we are game for a house swap :)

dottieanna29
11-01-2012, 04:15 PM
We haven't accomlished anything as far as school is concerned since the beginning of last week and I don't know when we will again.

-Last week I spent a lot of time finishing up Halloween costumes for an event we went to last weekend.
-We currently don't have power, don't expect to for 7 to 14 days and that goes for our entire county so no popping over to Panera.
-We are now at my MIL's house and we were more worried about clothes, food and the dog so I didn't even think to bring school stuff. We are two and a half hours from home (with gas very hard to find) so no popping back in to get it.
-When we do finally get power back I'll have truly disgusting dishes to wash, a refrigerator to finish cleaning out (we couldn't do it completely before we left because we couldn't put trash outside - too many animals that would get into it), plus the rest of the house to put back in order, including calling about getting a tree off the swingset that is suspended over the house.
-I don't have access to a printer so I can't reprint work for the kids. I may see what I can set up having them read off my computer screen, although I don't expect them to be overly cooperative under the circumstances. I really don't want to spend time fighting with them over school with MIL around.

dbmamaz
11-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Oh, Dottie, so glad you guys are ok!! thats what matters the most! Maybe gramma can take you all to the library on her card to get some books to read, and call it a break

dottieanna29
11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure grandma has a library card. :p It looks like we are going back up to my mother's house Sunday or Monday. Dh needs to get back to work (his lab has power) and my mother is just 5 miles from home so I'll be able to get some school stuff. I think I'm just going to let it go until then.