PDA

View Full Version : Body Worlds?

Sherry
10-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Has anyone seen the Body Worlds exhibit? (COSI - Body Worlds & The Brain (http://www.cosi.org/exhibits/bodyworlds)) If so, what was your impression? And more importantly, what did your children think?

We are planning a day trip to Columbus and I am trying to decide whether to take the boys to this exhibit or tell them we will be sticking to the Lego Exhibit.

dbmamaz
10-22-2012, 11:37 AM
It was at our local science museum. I made my then 8-yo do a lap book on the human body in preperation . . .he HATED EVERY SECOND of that lap book. He said he wanted to go to the exhibit because he enjoyed sneaking peaks during my teen's dissection class. But Raven HATED the display. Honestly, though, he reacted the same way he does to almost every single museum gallery which is not interactive: "can we go now? Its BORING!! I cant believe this is taking so long!"

My teen thought it was interesting. I actually was underwhelmed - maybe ours was smaller than most. There were maybe 4 whole bodies? and i felt like i'd seen some of it before, no idea where or when that could have been, though. I esp liked the diseased organs next to healthy ones. But i generally hated biology.

hockeymom
10-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Haven't seen this exhibit but oh, we miss COSI! I generally thought nearly everything they had was great. :)

kcprevatte
10-22-2012, 01:07 PM
We saw a similar exhibition in NYC several years ago (five or six?). My husband and I were fascinated and it took us about two hours to go through the entire thing. We haven't taken our kids, but they are approaching an age where I think they would appreciate and value the experience. I would not take young children, personally, but to each their own.

skrink
10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
We saw a version of this when it was in Toledo, and it was *wonderful*!! But then, I am a biology person, and I thought it was fascinating. Dd was most taken with the displays of the circulatory system, all the intricate lacework of the blood vessels.

dbmamaz
10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
the nervous system was cool. i probably would have enjoyed it more if Raven wasnt being so challenging

PetVet
10-22-2012, 09:45 PM
I went with DS last year (he was 7yo) and we both enjoyed it! Took us all day and could easily have gone back. Our local science centre offers homeschool days and they provided various grade level study guides and quizzes, which were great. DS is very science oriented - his friend who was 10yo refused to go past the doorway...

Christy
10-28-2012, 08:44 PM
I took my sons (4 and 7 years) to see it and they were more freaked by the animation on the wall of a blood vessel during a stroke than they were with the rest of the displays. The bodies all look like plastic, and we're used to seeing plastic models of things. I think the neatest part was the parts where only the blood vessels were preserved and you could see the network of blood vessels.

Jeni
10-30-2012, 07:19 PM
We saw something like that here in NC. We took the kids. I think the only part we really skipped were the babies. All the other bodies and parts were really cool.

Avalon
10-31-2012, 11:43 PM
I took the kids a couple of years ago. They were probably around 7 and 9. They found it incredibly boring, but my daughter has never shown one iota of interest in anything scientific, and my son is still more interested in outer space than anything here on earth. Most people took two hours to see the exhibit, and we got through it in 30 minutes.

Sherry
11-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks for your input. We went to the exhibit. Mostly because the Lego exhibit was much smaller than expected.

The lungs made quite an impression. The boys told dh all about how small and black the smoker’s lungs were comparison to healthy lungs. (I can only hope they remember this as they get older.) Other parts of the exhibit that made an impression were the artificial knee (their grandmother has one) and the demo of removing a blood clot from the brain.

The exhibit was huge. The boys began to lose interest about halfway through. They rallied for the digestive system and then were done. We skimmed the last quarter of the exhibit and moved on to the hands-on Life exhibit. They would have preferred if the Body Worlds exhibit had been the size of the Lego exhibit and the Lego exhibit much larger.