PDA

View Full Version : New from Va

MrsAlter
06-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Sarah, my son Trent (aka TNT his initials) is 18-mos and I have been given the green light by my husband to do homeschool preschool. We'll start slowly this fall. Nothing too rigorous since he won't turn 2 until December. I'm trying to convince him (hubby) to continue on k-12 but so far, he doesn't like the idea. He understands the reasoning and I have gotten his wheels turning on a few key points but, he doesn't like it at all.

Our situation is currently TNT has 19 identified (most of them) life-threatening allergies. 15 foods, 2 medicines, 2 animals. We were told by his allergist if we can afford it (thankfully we can) that he is to not attend daycare of any sort. One of us needs to be home with him. So, not only am I searching for fun preschool stuff to do the next couple of years I am also looking towards the future. The dr. does believe he will outgrow most of them even though some of his levels from last year have risen but, if you were to tell me today that he has to be registered from some type of school tomorrow I would put my foot down and he'd be homeschooled.

Both my husband and myself attended public school and yes, I see his point of view obviously and understand what he is saying but the more I read and research the more I just can't see how we can send him to school. You're so confined and with homeschooling your options are ENDLESS!

If you've made it this far thanks! Look forward to getting to know and learning from you all!

-Sarah

Snoopy
06-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Welcome to our site, Sarah, we're glad you're here. It must be hard dealing with so many allergies at once, and I'm not sure I would feel comfortable sending my child to p.s. with those conditions either! If you're talking about life-threatening allergies, it would be terrifying for me to wonder, day in and day out, if he's OK. It's hard enough when they're healthy!

We do have other members whose kids have serious food allergies and I'm sure they'll be along soon. In the meantime, you might want to check out the Homeschooling While Coping (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=78) group.

You are starting early, but Noah was 2.5 when I started working with him. Nothing too formal at first. We played games, I read a lot of books to him, we studied animals, foods, looked at letters and listened to sounds. There are several threads that deal with resources for preK so I would suggest you use the Search function to locate them.

Talk to you soon!

MrsAlter
06-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Thank you!!

I'm not looking for anything incredibly formal this early on either. Just some ideas things here and there. I seem to have lost everything I use to do with kids I watched/daycare/etc. etc. since having him. Before, I could whip out any old project and come up with all sorts of crazy things. I guess it'll come back to me (hopefully!) He does the motions for 'itsy bitsy spider' and 'if you're happy and you know it' and 'motorboat' He knows where some of his body parts are and names his favorite animals and knows some animal sounds. Maybe not to the T but he has grasped the majority of it. Which has really amazed me.

Thanks for the link to the other group as well. I will check them out. It has been a terribly long road but, we're doing a lot better now. It's still a struggle but compared to where we were this time last year, no comparison. But yes, I am terrified to have him go to school. Sure, he'll be old enough to know he CAN'T eat certain things (I really hope his list isn't that long by then) but that doesn't mean he won't come into contact with them. Just going outside of our home he breaks out. Not horrible but he does get some bad spots here and there. And he breaks out at home too. Everything seems to trigger him.

One day at a time, just like everyone else!!!!!

Shoe
06-21-2010, 02:16 AM
Welcome to the site Sarah. My kids attended public school until this year (5th and 7th grade) when I pulled my oldest out in October and let my daughter finish the year out with intentions to start homeschooling her next year. It always seemed impossible to me when they were younger, but having done it for a year with my son, I wish I had begun their education at home from the very beginning.

My neighbor's daughter has a lot of life threatening food allergies and attends public school. Despite several letters to the school staff, they have on several occasions tried to serve her with foods to which she is deathly allergic. Fortunately, she is, even at her tender years, well aware of her allergies, and was able to tell the cafeteria staff that she couldn't eat this or that, but it seems to me that the school should have been more careful, especially since the parents had sent prior warning.

What are your husband's main concerns about homeschooling?

Riceball_Mommy
06-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the group, and I definitely don't blame you for not sending him to a public school. I don't think schools are as sensative to allergies as they could be. I used to get into arguments with the lunch ladies in high school when I was buying my lunch because I can't drink milk. They'd always try to make me take it or charge me for it anyway.
Also we just finished up Pre-K this year, and I have to say that homeschooling has been really fun, and I've really enjoyed being able to spend the time with my daughter.

pandahoneybee
06-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Welcome;) I think that you are doing a great thing for your son, I wish I had started as early as you are going to be! My husband was a little nervous when I pulled our two boys out of PS, for different reasons. BUT now he doesnt want them to go back, he sees it as a wonderful way to be able to explore the world without all the problems that come along with school. I think that he will come around! if not send him on here and we can help;) Here the site's resource guide (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources) and I posted this site forum to another mom for a Prek forum (http://time4learning.net/forum/prek-2/).

Sarbare0704
06-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the group! We also did the homeschool for preschool thing not officially though I guess. Starting this year we are going to work on school school with our 4 year old! I'm super excited and so is she! This is a great group I have found so much wonderful information here! I cant wait to hear about your adventure! Next fall when my son turns two I'm sure ill be in the same spot!

dbmamaz
06-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi - i'm the person who responded to your post on virginia homeschool athiest group (saying i thought i'd seen you somewhere else) - I think we'll run in to each other a lot! btw, one thing to keep in mind about food allergies at school - there are a LOT of food-related projects. My 6 yo was in kindergarten last year. He has stomach reactions to dairy and behavioral reactions to gluten and food dye, but nothing too serious. the teacher USUALLY emailed me a few days ahead of time so I could come up w alternatives for the food-related activities, but sometimes it just wasnt worth it. I dont know if its different at different schools, but it was rather disconcerting .. . crafts with graham crackers and marshmallows, a thanksgiving feast in the classroom, i cant remember what else. And his teacher really tried to be on top of it because there were 3 kids with food allergies in the classroom, but i'd be REALLY nervous if it was anaphalactic or my child every showed signs of wanting to cheat.

and welcome lol!

BeverlyM
06-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Welcome and I agree that you are doing the right thing. No one can take care of your child's needs the way you can. I feel very thankful to be able to stay at home with my daughter because she is very smart, but not emotionally ready to be in the midst of so many other people. So hs was our best choice.
Good luck!

reversemigration
06-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Welcome, Sarah. I can absolutely see the lifesaving (literally) advantages of homeschooling for you. I had food allergies as a child as well, though they weren't life threatening. I can remember cheating at school now and then, if only because the forbidden has that definite allure to it!