PDA

View Full Version : New in FL

ClaireB
06-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi! I am Claire, and I'm homeschooling 2 boys in Central FL. Gabriel is 7 and Elliott is 4. Unfortunatly the majority of homeschoolers I have met are doing so from a religious worldview so I am always on the lookout for more secular resources!

Snoopy
06-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey Claire! Welcome to the group :) Whereabouts are you in Central Florida? We're in Central Florida! We're in South Lake Co, near Clermont. Noah is 8 and the only child I homeschool but we have 5 other children, 4 of whom still live at home. They all attend p.s.

There are several of us from Florida here, someone from Volusia Co. just signed on a couple of days ago and we also have at least one member from West Orange Co. The other Floridians who have introduced themselves are spread from the NW part of the state, to Vero Beach, including the Tampa Bay area.

Check out the Florida group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=26)too! It's not as active as the main forums, but hopefully you can find helpful information on there too.

Shoe
06-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Welcome to the site, Claire. There seem to be a lot of Floridians here (including the "Untouchable Member Extraordinaire" Snoopy) so you should be in good company. Be sure to check out the Groups page and the Florida group. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers.

Riceball_Mommy
06-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the site.

pandahoneybee
06-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the site ClaireB! This is a fun group who is always willing to help out;) especially Snoopy and Shoe;)

BPier12
06-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi ClaireB and welcome! We are fairly new residents to FL, living on the Treasure Coast, and we are just beginning our homeschooling journey. This forum has been a great source of support and wisdom and I hope you find that for yourself as well. Most of the homeschoolers where we live are very religious, so I understand your frustrations!

Topsy
06-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Welcome, Claire!! Glad you found your way here to the site. I hope it will be a source of virtual support and encouragement...especially since you are having difficulty finding local secular homeschoolers!

reversemigration
06-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Welcome, Claire! You're adding to our already large Florida contingent - it seems entirely possible that you'll find someone who's not too far from you. Glad to have you on here!

ClaireB
06-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks! I'm in Seminole County... Oviedo now, but soon to be Winter Springs.

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks! I'm in Seminole County... Oviedo now, but soon to be Winter Springs. Claire, have you checked into MFH (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MidFLHomeschoolers/)? My good friend is in that group and loves it. It's an inclusive group but not necessarily a secular one although they state on their home page that they are "not religiously affiliated". They have lots of activities and most of them are in East Orlando. My friend lives in Winter Park.

SunshineKris
06-22-2010, 01:27 AM
LOTS of Floridians lately! I'll have lots of company when we move back. Welcome to the group Claire!

ClaireB
06-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Claire, have you checked into MFH (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MidFLHomeschoolers/)? My good friend is in that group and loves it. It's an inclusive group but not necessarily a secular one although they state on their home page that they are "not religiously affiliated". They have lots of activities and most of them are in East Orlando. My friend lives in Winter Park.

Yes, I am a member of that group, and one other local group. All the people I have met thru them have been religious in some form or another, tho I'm sure there are more members than me who are not. I just haven't had the pleasure of meeting then yet...lol.

Snoopy
06-22-2010, 08:27 PM
My friend is a mixture of pagan and Wicca, I think (she can't really describe it herself, lol). I don't know of an atheist/agnostic homeschooling group in Central Florida, I have to say.