PDA

View Full Version : Co-op PE Program - Anyone brave enough to run one?

LAR
10-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Our co-op needs a PE class and I'd like to give it a try next year. I have the energy and basic athletic ability but there are so many obstacles. I have no lesson plans, equipment or experience running a program for 25 plus kids. Put me on a soccer or basketball team and I'll fit right in. I just don't know where to start with a formal class. I'm probably foolish to even consider it, but thought I'd toss the idea out there in case one of you might have some advice.

farrarwilliams
10-17-2012, 06:32 AM
One year no one at my school would run the PE program and I ended up doing it much of the time and I have NO athletic ability. :p I focused on cooperative games, things that just got kids moving, playground kinds of games. We were not really an athletic school in general. Basically I think you get a handful of activities ready (4-5 games/sports and maybe some opening activities like stretches or short cooperative games) and just spend a short time planning that. Then it's more about the attitude of the teacher or the coach to get kids doing stuff, acting positive, being determined for everyone to participate and have a good time.

mermo
10-17-2012, 09:04 AM
You can do it! We are involved in one currently and the kids are having a blast. They did a fitness test for a baseline the first time (push ups, pull ups or hang, curl ups, back extension - measure ground to chin, times runs 1/4 mile for under 7, 1/2 mile under 9, 1 mile 10+.

We do obstacle courses (grab walk, jumping, etc with little or no equipment) stations (plank, jumping forward, backward, sideways), relay races - running while making animal sounds.

This book looks interesting No Standing Around in My Gym: Lesson plans,games,and teaching tips for elementary physical education: J.D. Hughes: 9780736041799: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Standing-Around-Gym-elementary-education/dp/0736041796/ref=sr_1_21?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350478983&sr=1-21&keywords=kids+fitness+games)

LAR
10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I like the idea of a fitness test and focusing on cooperative games. I'll continue to do some research for games and activities which require minimal equipment and cost. I'm looking into Family Time Fitness program as well, and will check out the Hughes book. Thanks!

4quivers
11-15-2012, 09:13 AM
I ran one for a yr. It was a lot of fun. THe only obstacle I had was a few "crazy" parents who wouldn't let us do games like Dodge Ball, or Red Rover, or Catch the tail, so on. Apparently the games we played as children are now considered too dangerous for our kids.

Seriously, Kick the Can? Yeah, I suppose you could fall on the can and get hurt, but I'm using a plastic coffee can!