PDA

View Full Version : Blind child in home school

revlou
10-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Does anyone have experience in home schooling a blind child?
We have been doing so for 2 years with him now in 1st grade. The braille learning and teaching is the most difficult.
Assistance from public school, state agencies and more are limited at best. Once a week, which translates into 3 times a month at most, would not make a good piano player.
Your thoughts?

Crabby Lioness
10-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Wow. First off, I am awed by your courage. What are you doing that's gotten you this far?

Does anyone have experience in home schooling a blind child?

Not directly, no. I have a gifted 4yo who refuses to speak (a common problem in dh's family that usually resolves around 6/7) which makes homeschooling him difficult, but nothing like what you're going through. The one encouragement I can offer you is that from what I've seen of Special Ed recently (dh taught high school for 13 years) I can't say that you'd get more positive instruction there than once a week, and a lot more negative instruction.

Good luck.

Stella M
10-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I used to work for an org for the visually impaired, but only as a book producer. I remember how amazed I was at the number of adaptive devices out there for all kinds of tasks - do you have access to a center like that ? We had a sensory play area for the kids as well as audio book services.

I am guessing, that just like non-visually impaired students, once you get the literacy happening and you have a reader on your hands, education gets easier.

I am imagining that braille is tricky because you are not a braille reader ? But maybe you are ? I know adults can learn, it just takes longer.

I think it's awesome you're homeschooling :-)

Avalon
10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
If you live in or near a city, there should be an institute for the blind that could help you find software, audio books, etc... to help you. I used to prepare text from university textbooks to be read-aloud by software. Most of the visually-impaired students used this type of software, as well as other applications to help them use the computer. I found it amazing.

MarkInMD
10-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Part of my job is narrating materials for blind and visually/physically impaired patrons of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. If you're not already involved with that program, you can learn more about it at this page: Home Page of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (http://www.loc.gov/nls/).

Also, while I don't do work for this group, Learning Ally (Accessible materials for individuals with visual and learning disabilities | Learning Ally, formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic (http://www.learningally.org/)) is a provider of textbooks and teaching materials in recorded format. Perhaps you can use that to supplement the Braille learning you're doing.