PDA

View Full Version : smartlab backyard rocket kit deal

Operetta
10-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Another of these kits hit a bargain price on amazon -- $4.68!
SMARTLAB: Remote Control Rocket: Paul Beck,Tyler Freidenrich: 0983450900659: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932855998/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

It's a baking soda/vinegar rocket for the backyard. I just ordered it so I don't know how good it is, and the reviews are certainly mixed. But for less than $5 I'm willing to give it a chance.

Little Brownelf
10-13-2012, 03:21 AM
:cool: Curious how it worked out for you.

Operetta
10-13-2012, 09:47 AM
hasn't arrived yet! I'll let you know when we actually get it.

Operetta
10-19-2012, 09:13 AM
:cool: Curious how it worked out for you.

The kit is really nice - the rocket itself is a tube that you fill with vinegar, with a screw on nose you fill with baking soda. It latches into a motorized base which has a (wired) remote switch -- after letting the mixture start fizzing for a few seconds, you hold down the switch and after 7 more seconds the latches release and the rocket takes off. We took it to a park yesterday and shot it off over and over again -- it was pretty impressive! (We took a bag of baking soda and a small bottle of vinegar with us).

It also came with a book I didn't really look at -- DD said there was a lot of stuff about space and rockets she already knew but that it looked nice.

Worth the $5 I spent, no question. Worth more? probably, but depends on the buyer. We'll use it a lot, I think -- we'd use it more if we had a yard big enough to use it at home (it can fly up pretty high, we didn't want to risk losing it; there's a locked up vacant house next door). DD loooooooves it.

jiraki
10-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info, I bought it but put it away for a present :)