PDA

View Full Version : Hello for the middle of no where PA

tri_oak
10-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Hello from rural North Central PA -- Sullivan County to be exact. When I say I live off the beaten path, what I mean is it takes me 1.5 miles just to get to my mail box! We're the only permanent residents in a small valley and it's a pretty cool place to be raising and homeschooling my 12 year old son. It kinda goes without saying we're nature buffs. I'm also into small scale agriculture, currently with chickens and rabbits and hoping to add goats as soon as I can get a barn built.

I've been homeschooling my son since 1st grade -- this is our 7th year (I can't believe it's been that long!). We're a bit eclectic, using what works for us. I get more relaxed every year, but now that we're middle school/jr high level, it's getting a little more structured. My son is a science nut who seems to delight in giving me grey hairs as he blows things up around here and makes smoke bombs with recipes he's culled off the internet. If he wasn't such a gentle soul at heart, I'd be worried.

We're incredibly blessed to live in such a gorgeous place and in a close knit, caring community. My son and I are both active in 4H, my son does rocketry, rifle and rabbit projects every year and various other ones as interests him. I run the 4H poultry program in our county and am locally referred to as 'The Chicken Lady' or even 'That Tie-Dye Chicken Lady'. I'm also a member of our local fire company, where I either drive the ambulance, sit in the back as a 1st responder (working on my EMT this winter) or act as Fire Police. The down side to that is that like most of rural America, most of the people around here are very conservative and predominantly Christian. My son has taken a beating (figuratively) from the kids in our local, typical church-based homeschool group and finding like minded families in our area is a challenge.

I recently started working as a home health care aide and juggling work and school can be challenging. I'm finding that my son needs just as much attention, albeit in different ways, as he grows older. But it's worth the effort to continue homeschooling.

Looking forward to connecting with other secular homeschoolers :-)

JinxieFox
10-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
10-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Welcome! It sounds like you keep busy for being out in the "middle of nowhere!" My parents grew up in Susquehanna County and those huge, rolling hills made a big impression on me as a kid. Enjoy the forums!

dbmamaz
10-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Um, do I know you? HI . . .

BarbaraH
10-09-2012, 09:45 PM
'The Chicken Lady' or even 'That Tie-Dye Chicken Lady'.

Love that! It sounds like you've got a lovely homeschooling life going on.

kcprevatte
10-10-2012, 11:25 AM
It sounds like a lovely life! Welcome to the forum. I am new also.

tri_oak
10-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Oops! I meant to post this in the introduction forum. My bad! Waving to Cara though!

Freedom
10-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Welcome and I too homeschool a single 12 year old. Your area sounds like a lovely place to raise a homeschooler minus any negative shunning. Hope things get better for you and that you soon connect with like minded individuals or at least those that will take you for who you are not try to change you.