PDA

View Full Version : High School Journalism Classes, Texts ?

Stella M
09-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Looking for a course for dd 13. All I've come across so far is a Brave writer course we've missed and an IEW text. I have no idea what IEW is like.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Stella M
09-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Lazy me on IEW. Searched, Not too religious in content but the company is evangelical ? Damn.

OK, please, pretty please help me find an alternative!

farrarwilliams
09-21-2012, 11:02 PM
I've always heard IEW's curriculum was secular. But I'm guessing it's not your style anyway.

Stella M
09-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Probably not. I'm trying to put a course together for dd 13 and I really NEED a journalism course, there must be something else out there!

crunchymum
09-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Would this work?

Resource: News Writing (http://www.learner.org/resources/series44.html)

News Writing is a video instruction series in the basics of journalism. 15 half-hour video segments, using online video-on-demand, with commentary by leading journalists.
NOTE 1: Requires broadband connection.
NOTE 2: There is an optional a student text and teacherís guide to accompany this video online course, but they must be purchased. The books are not absolutely necessary to use the video course. You may wish to listen to each segment, then design your own assignment to practice the video segment topic.

It's free....

You could maybe pull some stuff from here
List of Free Online Journalism Classes and Courses (http://education-portal.com/articles/List_of_Free_Online_Journalism_Classes_and_Courses .html)

here's on on photojournalism from MIT's free course listing

there are lots of links here
JOURNALISM LINKS: (http://www.betsyanne.com/Journalism.html)

there are free high school journalism resources at the NYTime Year-End Roundup | Language Arts, Journalism, the Arts and Academic Skills - NYTimes.com (http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/21/year-end-roundup-language-arts-journalism-the-arts-and-academic-skills/#more-111376)

hth!

Stella M
09-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Thank you, some of those links look promising!

MrsLOLcat
09-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Around here there aren't journalism classes until the college level. I joined a 'class' for a semester where I could take an internship wherever I wanted, though, and worked at the local newspaper. I wound up with a part-time job after my internship finished, and that morphed into taking on the lifestyles reporter position after I graduated from high school. With your DD who is interested in journalism, get the book of style that she would have to use and make her study it. Take a newspaper and pick apart the articles - notice how leads are written, quotes are used, etc. Get her used to coming up with story ideas, presenting them, and doing interviews. Tour the local paper to see what the schedule is like (newspapers that are printed early in the morning - 4 or 5 a.m.-ish for morning delivery - usually have to have copy turned in by 10 p.m., but the hard news sometimes happens overnight). It's a fun job, but it can kill you during elections or when everything seems to happen all in one week!

Stella M
09-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Thank you Sarah! Right now she's got her heart set on being a columnist! I'll be sure to gently remind her one does not - ahem - begin with one's own column :-)

Suki
09-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Right now she's got her heart set on being a columnist! I'll be sure to gently remind her one does not - ahem - begin with one's own column :-)

Actually, I'd disagree with that! I think that the Internet has opened up a whole new way to approach journalism. Yes, there's a lot she could learn from a class, and eventually you'll find the right one for her. But what about if she just jumped right in and started writing? I know of two ways that kids have done this very successfully: One, start their own newspaper, with other kids or alone. Two, start their own blog. Both options are free and fun. Both depend on her creativity and ideas. Both will inspire her to write A LOT, which is the most important aspect of learning to write. All she has to do is find a small audience (friends, family, others who share her specific interest) and she can write for them.

Things are so different now from when we were kids. Back then, it was really hard to do something on your own, and you had to develop your craft in order to get writing opportunities. Now, things have shifted so that writing opportunities are the easy thing to do. You can go out and write, write, write, and develop your craft as you go.

Suki

momofthreegreatkids
09-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Many of the IEW products are non-sectarian and the Journalism Basics program is one of those. They also have a life-time 100% money back guarantee on everything! They even pay return shipping. I wish everyone did that!

Sionnon
09-27-2012, 01:08 PM
I've always heard IEW's curriculum was secular. But I'm guessing it's not your style anyway.

I agree they style isn't likely what you are wanting. But most of the material is secular in nature if you do decide to try it.