PDA

View Full Version : Educational Wii games for wee ones?

GA_gypsy
09-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Just curious if there really is such a thing. In my searching I have not really found anything that can actually teach something. I was rather surprised! I bought my boys the Go Diego game thinking it would be similar to the show, but it doesn't really do anything except run through the obstacles.

Crabby Lioness
10-01-2012, 03:41 PM
I just hooked my Wii up last week, so IDK much. Are you talking about the E3 preschooler games? Seseme Street is supposed to have some good educational ones, but I've never seen them for sale. Grover's game and Elmo's Musical Monsterpiece are the highest rated.

My kids are 4, 11, and 13. Currently they're playing Mario Kart Wii, Just Dance For Kids, Boom Blox Bash Party, and Active Life Explorer. By far the most educational is Boom Blox Bash Party which is basically Jenga with a realistic physics system. You'll learn a lot indirectly about force, momentum, and angles from playing it. It's rated E, but my 4yo can play it.

Active Life Explorer comes with a mat for footwork and trains you in how to be a pulp-fiction treasure-hunter ;) complete with outrunning falling bridges and stopping runaway trains. It's not very academic, but they love to work up a sweat with it. It requires an older Wii with the GameBox ports though. The 4yo can play it by himself, but it's much more fun to play with others.

I'm told the sports games are good for introducing sports. I know of some E and up rated games that are supposed to be educational, but that's all I know about the E3 preschool games.

farrarwilliams
10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Jump Start makes a couple of Wii games. We had one from the bargain bin ages ago and it was okay, I guess. Nothing special.

CatInTheSun
10-02-2012, 01:37 AM
I still consider the Wii the best HS purchase we've ever made, but almost purely because of its motivational power. There are no electronics until all schoolwork is completed, and "what do we need to do before we can play on the Wii" has been a nearly daily question for almost 2 years. I do think some games encourage spatial skills and problem solving and they do video games make better surgeons, and we do some music games...but I chalk it up just like "educational tv".

Probably the BEST game for overall content would be Endless Ocean 2 -- you go diving all over the world. It takes like 200 hours to complete and my dd could identify most of the 300 fish on sight as well as learn to navigate by a map and manage time for various missions. She liked training dolphins.

Crabby Lioness
10-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Definitely the thing they learn most is time management! ;)

I was going to say "play after lessons" but lessons take hours for the 13yo. So we have "game breaks" at 1/3 and 2/3 through to keep everyone fresh. And they can start playing exercise games before breakfast as early as they are willing to get up.