PDA

View Full Version : Educational Board Games

Sarbare0704
06-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I was looking for some recommendations. We are board game nuts around here we have tons and tons but I love to find a new one and maybe my hubby cant get mad if it is for school :P I was looking at the Brain Quest ones on amazon and those look really cool anyone have any of them? I saw a regular one and 2 DVD versions. It sounds like a very well rounded all subject game! I think it will have to be on my list of games to keep an eye out for!

dottieanna29
06-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Our favorites around here: Chutes and Ladders (counting), Candy Land (colors), Sequence for Kids (reading and animals), Boggle Jr. (reading/letters), Scrabble for Kids (reading/spelling). DS just got into Checkers after seeing a very large Chess games set up at our library. All of these except Checkers my youngest has been able to play with very little adaptation - a big plus in our house.

We also have Dr. Seuss Super Stretchy ABC. It's like Twister but with the alphabet. Seems like a fun game but my kids don't seem to have the patience for it. We also have Disney DVD Pictionary - they like that but we don't play according to the rules exactly and its not exactly educational. We also have a couple Memory games but they seem bored by them a lot lately.

Sarbare0704
06-19-2010, 04:45 PM
We also have Dr. Seuss Super Stretchy ABC. It's like Twister but with the alphabet.

ooh that sounds cool! I have been wanting to pick up twister just to watch her play LOL im sure its a hoot to watch plus she could use a little left right practice!

Wilma
06-19-2010, 05:04 PM
My recommendations wouldmainly be for ones older than yours,although some of these they could play now.

Uno
Jr. Trivial Pursuit
Blokus
Rush Hour junior
Bananagrams
Apple to Apples
Othells
Concentration (although there are versions for the age of you kiddos, or you can just use cards)
Checkers
Chinese Checkers
Myster Garden (for your dd now)
Yahtzee
Parcheesi
Life
Map Tangle (it's Twister on a world map)
Dominoes

Busygoddess
06-19-2010, 05:21 PM
My recommendations wouldmainly be for ones older than yours,although some of these they could play now.

Uno
Jr. Trivial Pursuit
Blokus
Rush Hour junior
Bananagrams
Apple to Apples
Othells
Concentration (although there are versions for the age of you kiddos, or you can just use cards)
Checkers
Chinese Checkers
Myster Garden (for your dd now)
Yahtzee
Parcheesi
Life
Map Tangle (it's Twister on a world map)
Dominoes

Yep, I agree with a lot of these. My son has been playing Uno since was 2 or 3 & has always loved it. They also have Apples to Apples Jr, if they aren't ready for the regular yet.
Chess
Boggle
Risk
Green Alligators
Travel Mania
Clue

We also tend to play a lot of trivia games.

Sarbare0704
06-19-2010, 05:45 PM
A couple weeks ago I found a "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? " game at a rummage sale I thought it would be good for geography, if I remember correctly no reading was required either... we haven't played it yet but I thought it was neat Im sure they don't sell it in stores anymore but i bet ebay or amazon would have it.

Sarbare0704
06-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Another game for those of you with older kids is Polarity (http://www.amazon.com/Kids-On-Science-00004-Polarity/dp/B000INE1E0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1276983997&sr=1-1). This is the product description from Amazon... Simple in appearance, but requiring and developing a strong strategic mind, Polarity is an exciting game that puts electromagnetic force right in the middle of the action! The highest number of stacked magnetic discs wins! But watch out for the red disc - touch it, and lose. Magnetic forces combine with dexterity and strategy to deliver a unique game experience. Polarity is easy to learn, exciting to play, and strategically challenging enough to keep you coming back for years of enjoyment. Includes khaki canvas carry bag, canvas play mat, 52 black/white play discs, one red center disc, and instructions. .... My brother (whos 20) has really been wanting it LOL There are some cool youtube videos of it too! It looks really tricky!

jessicalb
06-19-2010, 07:17 PM
I really enjoy Numbers League. Alex doesn't seem to like it as much as I do but I think it's really fun. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Numbers-League-Adv-Addiplication-0200/dp/097688481X

I'm really interested in Chrononauts - has anyone tried it?

http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Labs-009LOO-Chrononauts/dp/1929780109/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1276989377&sr=8-1

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
We love games by Learning Resources (http://www.learningresources.com/category/teachers/shop+by+category/games+-+puzzles/board+games.do?nType=2) (for example Sum Swamp is awesome and lots of fun)and the Professor Noggin card games (http://www.professornoggin.com/index.shtml)(although they're not board games). Also Uno, Wars, we have Kids of Catan and Traders of Catan but we have never played those. We used to like playing Farkle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farkle) (dice game).

jessicalb
06-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Nathalie, let us know how you like the Catan games, and if your youngest can play. I keep hearing how good they are but they are too expensive to just hope for the best with a kiddo, you know? :)

Wilma
06-19-2010, 09:38 PM
A couple weeks ago I found a "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? " game at a rummage sale I thought it would be good for geography, if I remember correctly no reading was required either... we haven't played it yet but I thought it was neat Im sure they don't sell it in stores anymore but i bet ebay or amazon would have it.

I've always wanted to get a copy of Where in Time is Carmen San Diego.

schwartzkari
06-19-2010, 10:10 PM
We have the usual board games, Chutes and Ladders, Candyland...My daughter really likes StarFall Speedway. It is a two sided board game that comes with basic ABC flashcards and then it comes with 3 other packs of flashcards that are basically sight words and an in-depth review of the dolch word list. She has learned to read alot of words thanks to that game.

On a side note, I personally like to play Flipping Frogs with my kids. It isn't "educational" but it is alot of fun and actually requires some skill to shoot the little frogs at the moving tree, LOL.

Snoopy
06-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Nathalie, let us know how you like the Catan games, and if your youngest can play. I keep hearing how good they are but they are too expensive to just hope for the best with a kiddo, you know? :) I hear you. My MIL gave them to the kids for Xmas a few years back so I had no idea that they were expensive! Settlers of Cattan is $33.60 on Amazon and I didn't realize just how many expansion packs there are. **Groan** I don't like playing board games all that much so if Noah starts getting into those, I'm doomed, lol.

My MIL tried to get the kids interested in playing but they played once with her just to humor her and then never touched the games again. I thought Noah and I would play "Settlers of Catan" this past year, but you need 3-4 players, and during the times that I think of it, there's only him and me! We might try Kids of Catan tomorrow. It's for young kids (4+) so it shouldn't be too hard (or too drawn out...)

dottieanna29
06-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Kelly's Kindergarten (http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/Games/GamestoMake/games_to_make.htm)has printable Uno games, Bingo games, Snap games, etc. with letter sounds or sight words on them. My kids love to play the Nickelodeon Uno.

hjdong
06-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Still a little old, but Zeus on the Loose is fun (adding to 100, making multiples of 10s). We tend to like to Gamewright games.

NaNa
06-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Nathalie, let us know how you like the Catan games, and if your youngest can play. I keep hearing how good they are but they are too expensive to just hope for the best with a kiddo, you know? :)

Not Nathalie, but we've had Kids of Catan and have the original Settlers of Catan game. Kids of Catan was pretty disappointing for us. It was beautiful (really, really beautiful - it has these gorgeous wood buildings), but it was just pretty dull for us. We do all love the original Settlers, though, and while it's not really educational, it is a lot of fun. Pretty much everyone we've introduced it to really likes it.

Still a little old, but Zeus on the Loose is fun (adding to 100, making multiples of 10s). We tend to like to Gamewright games.

Zeus on the Loose is great! We also loved Rat-a-Tat-Cat, which works well for kids a little bit younger than Zeus. In Zeus, the kids need to be able to add things like 9+59, but in Rat-a-Tat-Cat, the sums are much smaller and only happen at the end of the game. Rat-a-Tat-Cat also has a nice memory component too, so it's good from that perspective too.

I've heard good things about the Muggins math games, (http://www.mugginsmath.com/) but we haven't tried any yet. I think we're going to order a reversible board and try out two of the games that way.

Battleship is a good one for using coordinates.

Yahtzee for basic addition

We like Ticket to Ride quite a bit. We have the European version. You have to plan routes through Europe, and it has certainly improved my knowledge of where some places in Europe are! It does use the older names in the countries' actual languages, though, so, for example, Moscow is Moskva.

Someone mentioned Apples to Apples Jr. That's one of our favorites, but it does take at least three people.

For the younger kids, we really liked Sorry! I don't think I've seen that one mentioned yet!

War was another good game (though not a board game) - great for working on the concept of greater or less than with really young kids, or you can make versions with larger numbers or fractions for older kids.

jessicalb
06-20-2010, 02:07 PM
We still play Sorry with Alex! It's fun and because everyone knows it's pretty much random, there is less bitterness in losing. ;)

kcanders
06-21-2010, 08:38 AM
We still play Sorry with Alex! It's fun and because everyone knows it's pretty much random, there is less bitterness in losing. ;)

Jessica-it's amazing how different kids respond so differently. We had to get rid of our Sorry game because it caused so much trouble. Every game deteriorated into screaming, crying and stomping. :) The random thing really doesn't work for us.

s
Games we like include blokus which was great because when we got it my 8 year old and 4 year old could both play. The kids also like Cogno (science) and Skip-bo (number sequencing). It's not educational, but their favorite game has to be Cranium's Whoonu. The beg to play that all the time.

Krish

jessicalb
06-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Jessica-it's amazing how different kids respond so differently. We had to get rid of our Sorry game because it caused so much trouble. Every game deteriorated into screaming, crying and stomping. :) The random thing really doesn't work for us.

That is funny! When we play anything with skill, Alex loses. It sucks, but that's kind of the deal for an only child who lives with people who love to game. He gets sooooo mad, as if, at 12, he should have the same skill and knowledge as people more than twice his age. The one thing he is really fantastic with is Taboo, but we usually don't have enough people to play it.

Snoopy
06-21-2010, 09:04 AM
The one thing he is really fantastic with is Taboo, but we usually don't have enough people to play it. Oh I wish you lived closer, I love Taboo! We have Taboo Junior too.

MamaB2C
06-21-2010, 10:43 AM
I played this game online, and it was so much fun I have the board game on our wish list.

Scotland Yard(Wiki) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_Yard_%28board_game%29)
Board Game Geek with reviews (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/438/scotland-yard)

It took a lot of strategy and incorporates map work

We also play Uno, Connect4, Battleship (DS needs to be teamed with an adult, but that's okay), Yahtzee, and Dominoes

Topsy
06-21-2010, 11:04 AM
This was one of our all-time faves when the kids were younger...it is a US geography game and they would ask to play it over and over!!

Great States Game (http://www.amazon.com/Great-States-Game/dp/B0017T4N8S)

Currently, we are in an Apples to Apples obsession stage!!