PDA

View Full Version : Science Fusion vs Plato learning

sb550h
09-13-2012, 10:20 AM
I would greatly appreciate if I can recommendations for science curriculum. So far we have been using the CPO books, but wanted to know if anyone has found either Science Fusion or Plato Learning useful? They are available on the home school co-op. Thank you.

lynne
09-13-2012, 03:09 PM
I ordered one unit of Science Fusion for my son. I liked the idea of online activities combined with a book. We hated it. It was very difficult to figure out how to access everything and there is no ability to print out the teacher's unit. The questions assigned in the book were way too simple. My son is technically in 6th grade and it seemed more geared toward 2nd-3rd.

We're now using Elemental Science and love it! We're using Biology for the logic stage and just started the Astronomy unit for my younger son because he is very interested in the subject.

I think Science Odyssey is supposed to be good too, but they don't offer middle school level course work yet.

bcnlvr
09-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Plato is a great supplement. Not impressed with SF. I realize I am only using grade 2, but will not be using for 6th grader.

Sionnon
09-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I don't like Science Fusion, we have it for Middle School and I just find it silly and the online interface is more difficult than it should be. We used Plato Middle School Science last year and my son loved it. We used it as our primary science for him. Plato covered much information he had never learned before, we did Earth and Space Science.

It'sallgood
09-14-2012, 06:03 AM
I bought 2 units of 6th grade SF towards the end of last school year. We used one for about 3-4 weeks, and received the other in the mail over the summer. Not impressed with either one. The online resources basically read the book out loud to the student, and was not nearly as rich as was advertised. The workbook was flashy with lots of big pictures that was maybe designed to be engaging, but left no room for depth. The questions were overly simple. DS didn't like it at all, and he loves science, so back to the drawing board for us. I am considering an online charter school, but worry that the format will be the same as SF and public school - lots of flash with little substance. Have not seen Plato yet, but will check it out!

It'sallgood
09-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Lynne, you turned me onto Elemental Science. Looks great, and now waiting for it to come in the mail - with fingers, toes and eyes crossed that this one will work out. Also blew all my Amazon points on the supportive materials, when I was meaning to save them up for Christmas shopping, but happily awaiting new stuff!

lynne
09-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Lynne, you turned me onto Elemental Science. Looks great, and now waiting for it to come in the mail - with fingers, toes and eyes crossed that this one will work out. Also blew all my Amazon points on the supportive materials, when I was meaning to save them up for Christmas shopping, but happily awaiting new stuff!

I hope you'll be happy with it. I think you will. Make sure you post an update after you all work with it for a while. I'll be curious to hear how it's going:).

Lorraine
09-17-2012, 05:44 PM
We're now using Elemental Science and love it! We're using Biology for the logic stage and just started the Astronomy unit for my younger son because he is very interested in the subject.

Have you seen any mention of Creationism in Elemental Science? On the websites FAQ, the author says he a Christian and believes both Evolution and Creationism should be taught to students. I'm pretty turned off by that. Are you seeing that in the Biology or Astronomy books?

lynne
09-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Have you seen any mention of Creationism in Elemental Science? On the websites FAQ, the author says he a Christian and believes both Evolution and Creationism should be taught to students. I'm pretty turned off by that. Are you seeing that in the Biology or Astronomy books?

I haven't come across anything about creationism yet or anything religious. If I do, I will just skip it but it seems to be very secular.