PDA

View Full Version : Any potential blog reviewers out there??

Topsy
09-10-2012, 11:31 PM
1300If you've been homeschooling any length of time at all and follow other homeschooling blogs, you have probably come across at least one "Review Crew (http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/)" post from a member of "The Old Schoolhouse." I love the idea behind these. A bunch of bloggers who review homeschool-related products and curriculum on their own blogs for the incentive of getting to try out new educational stuff for free. It's really cool to be able to find out what other homeschoolers think of different programs, and getting opinions on things without having to purchase them first?? Golden!!

What I DON'T always appreciate about following these reviews from TOS bloggers is having to slog through the hundreds of faith-based references and reasonings - - especially when their decision to like or not like a particular product is simply because it is secular. :explode:

So, I've been considering the idea of creating our OWN crew of blog reviewers. Yep...you guessed it...reviewers of the SECULAR variety. ;) I would love to offer our favorite secular vendors the opportunity to have their products reviewed by bloggers who AREN'T offended by evolution or stymied by more than one worldview. But what I don't know, is whether there is enough interest from you peeps to make that a real possibility. I'm thinking we would need a team of at least 100 bloggers to make it viable (possibly 150-200), since I'm sure not every blogger would want to review every product.

Here's where I need your input. If you've had an active homeschool blog for 3 or more months, and think you might be interested in a regular opportunity (I'm thinking once a month) to review new secular homeschool products and curriculum in return for free trials/demos/samples/programs of those products and curriculum, how about piping in and letting us know. Going forward with this idea will depend totally on how large a response we get.

AmyButler
09-10-2012, 11:56 PM
I would love to do it when I have had my blog for long enough :)

h5rus
09-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Count me in! I would love to participate in this.

Isabel
09-11-2012, 03:06 AM
I'd love to be in on this.

Right now my blog is in hiatus because bloody "free" Blogspot is saying I now have to pay because I have uploaded more than a gig of photos.
I am planning to move it to a Wordpress blog hosted on my own server so I can upload as many gazillion pics as we have space for.

rueyn
09-11-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm brand-spanking-new here, but I would love to give this a go!

My website/blog (http://www.itsworkingforme.com) is used for homeschool and other things.

-Angela.

dottieanna29
09-11-2012, 09:37 AM
I would definitely be interested. I've had my blog for a few years now.

I'd love to be in on this.

Right now my blog is in hiatus because bloody "free" Blogspot is saying I now have to pay because I have uploaded more than a gig of photos.
I am planning to move it to a Wordpress blog hosted on my own server so I can upload as many gazillion pics as we have space for.

Wow, this might be something I have to worry about soon. I'm very picture heavy in my posts. I guess I can just take out some of the less necessary pictures since I've already had books made from my older posts.

Tee
09-11-2012, 10:01 AM
I love this idea, whether I participate or not. We need more reviews of secular programs (or reviews of any program from a secular point of view). I've had a blog since 2009 but only just started my dedicated homeschool blog.

sadie423
09-11-2012, 12:12 PM
I would be interested. Finding secular reviews (and curricula) can be really hard sometimes. I have been blogging about 5 years now....

GiGiChickee
09-11-2012, 12:29 PM
I've been wanting to blog about secular homeschooling for awhile now. This seems like it would be a wonderful opportunity. I've blogged a bit on our family blog, but I haven't really blogged about homeschool curriculum, so I'm not sure if I qualify or not. I am currently homeschooling 5th grade, 4th grade, and have twins in 1st grade. I recently switched reading/writing curriculum and am so glad I did. Let me know if I can be of any help :)

jess
09-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Define "active blog" :)

I like the idea of free stuff, and might find a way to make it work for us, but, being realistic, I'm probably not a great candidate.

JinxieFox
09-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Yes. I've had a large number of reviews published in the magazines I've written for on a regular basis, so I'm very comfortable with reviewing. ^.^

dmforman
09-11-2012, 03:58 PM
I don't blog, but would love to read others and would be interested in writing reviews for products.

ginnyjf
09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
I've been blogging for five years; count me in! I won't be able to do a very intellectual review but I like to think I'm entertaining occasionally.

Paula
09-11-2012, 10:04 PM
I would love to both write and read secular reviews.

MrsLOLcat
09-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Count me in. Would we get to choose which products we review? I'm just thinking that some of us have very young kids and some of us have older kids...

crunchynerd
09-11-2012, 11:03 PM
I'd love to give it a go! Next month my blog here will qualify, though I did start my first blogspot thing in 2005...but didn't maintain it all this time. So glad you are doing this, and would be thrilled to participate, since we're in the beginning stages of our homeschooling journey with kids 8, nearly 5, and toddler, and I think a lot of trying things, and reviewing it, is in our future. It has already begun.

It'sallgood
09-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Count me in too. I don't have a blog yet, but have always considered starting one. Would be happy to write reviews. Great idea!

ZipMommy
09-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I've been blogging since April about my special-needs son and we began home-schooling this summer. I'd love to do this.

Tamra
09-13-2012, 03:31 AM
I used to do this professionally. Not the blog aspect, but reviewing curriculum and providing my review to charter schools and homeschoolers. It was fun, and WOW did I get a lot of STUFF! :cool:

My youngest is 15, and I just gave away most of my curriculum collection as we downsized our home. However, I am knowledgeable of some current secular curriculum and might be able to lend a hand jump-starting your blog if you decide to do this. No need to send any stuff either! Just send me an email when the time comes.

May
09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Right now I just blog for fun, but I'd be interested in reviewing secular products. Count me in.

Christy
09-13-2012, 03:23 PM
I'd love to do it!

Crystal830
09-13-2012, 04:47 PM
I would love to participate in this as well! I have been keeping my blog for 2 years now, but it is not just a homeschooling blog. It is a personal blog that has a big homeschooling focus. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in being able to participate. I write about our family, homeschooling adventures, and curriculum we use. I also use my blog as a dumping ground for things I have been thinking about, and sometimes a platform for discussing politically driven issues or sharing papers I've written in my college classes.

Jenna Boettger Boring
09-13-2012, 04:49 PM
I would LOVE to be part of something like this! My blog isn't only homeschooling though, it's all sorts of things, that being one of them. Is that ok?

Heather720
09-13-2012, 04:51 PM
I'd be interested. My secular homeschool support group has a blog, so I'd be in position to possibly have multiple writers doing reviews.

Rivka
09-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I'd love to! Here's an example of how I review: Beast Academy | TINDERBOX (http://tinderbox.homeschooljournal.net/2012/03/17/beast-academy/)

laq997
09-13-2012, 05:12 PM
i've been homeschooling for a while, no boxed curriculum here... i'd start a blog or add to yours no problem. my daughter is getting ready to head to college next year but this is something i truly believe in. i had such a hard time finding curriculum that met my standards.. we had the same time finding colleges that met my standards too (and for the record, harvard, yale, and brown all failed the test so even though she's more then qualified to get in at any of those places she will not be going there (her choice as well as mine).

i'd even throw some college reviews in there too if you want... we visited over 20 i think (or it felt that way)

Erin Sipes
09-13-2012, 05:55 PM
This is such a great idea and long overdue. I'd love to get involved!

beckandgirls
09-14-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't blog, but I hope you all do this! I would love to read honest, tested reviews of some of this stuff!

quackers19
09-14-2012, 09:55 AM
I would love to be involved with this! I haven't blogged about specific curriculum before, but I have blogged about schooling styles and activities I have done with my daughter. This would be great for my new website as well!

Jessica
09-14-2012, 06:52 PM
My blog isn't really active any longer, but for a chance to join in on this I would be willing to start updating it again.

Lionbirdmom
09-15-2012, 04:09 PM
I am very interested. I don't have a blog yet, but am in the process of setting one up. I do have a couple of friends who have one, and I might be able to guest blog there. Even if I can't do it, I will most definitely be reading it.

Riceball_Mommy
09-15-2012, 09:10 PM
I took a break from blogging, but once I get back into it I would be interested.

Cardenie
09-15-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm interested! However, while I am not new to the site, I am a newbie forum participant. Hope that doesn't disqualify me!

teglene
09-15-2012, 09:40 PM
I'd be more than happy to do it! I've been homeschooling and blogging about it for 3 yrs now, and have a wide ranges of ages I can review for.

BeccaJ143
09-15-2012, 10:32 PM
I would love to review items and my 4 children are always really excited to try new things ! I've had my blog for a while now

Anastasia Halldin
09-15-2012, 10:42 PM
I would be interested!
HealthyMamaInfo (http://www.healthymamainfo.com)

4Ranger
09-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Hello there!

Our family will be living on the road full-time soon, in an RV. We would love to participate in being a review blogger. We are a military man, full-time Mama, 9 year old boy, 7 year old boy and a boxer that thinks she's the size of a chihuahua!

farrarwilliams
09-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Topsy, you already know my reviewing style. :) I'd definitely be interested, but I'm curious - how much use would we need to put into the products in order to review them or can we just look at them and read through?

April Hopkins Doke
09-16-2012, 11:39 AM
My front page - www.theaccidentalhomeschooler.com (http://www.theaccidentalhomeschooler.com)

Trastull
09-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I think this is a great idea! You always see reviews for the other homeschooling products but the secular ones haven't gotten their moment in the spotlight.

I'd love to help out with reviews also.

jujsky
09-17-2012, 09:39 AM
I'd love to be included in this as well.

Topsy
09-17-2012, 10:11 AM
I didn't get nearly the response I thought I would, HOWEVER, I'm also planning on sending out a site-wide newsletter later this month, and I will mention it in that, so I'm not shelving the project until I've heard from as many people as possible. Thanks to all who responded!

h5rus
09-17-2012, 12:43 PM
I didn't get nearly the response I thought I would, HOWEVER, I'm also planning on sending out a site-wide newsletter later this month, and I will mention it in that, so I'm not shelving the project until I've heard from as many people as possible. Thanks to all who responded!

Topsy -is there a place to subscribe to your newsletter or is it sent out to all registered members without having to subscribe to anything?

jujsky
09-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Could people have misunderstood your thread title? I know I did at first. I thought you were looking for people to review and recommend secular homeschool blogs -- not that you were looking for product reviewers who would write about products on their blogs.

Topsy
09-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Topsy -is there a place to subscribe to your newsletter or is it sent out to all registered members without having to subscribe to anything?

Heather,
Yeah...I send them out only about 3-4 times a year, at least right now, so I'm sending them to all subscribers. We may have a dedicated monthly newsletter in the future, but I haven't had time to tackle that one yet. :P

BakedAk
09-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I'd love to be on the review crew! I missed the post (actually I saw it but was on a different computer and couldn't vote because I wasn't logged in and couldn't remember my password...) but I'd DEFINITELY like to be a part of this.

Melissa

Magnolia School
09-20-2012, 11:55 PM
I'd love to be part of this as well. I've had a blog for about a year now. Sorry I'm a bit late on the bandwagon. I just found your post.

Yet Another Homeschool Blog (http://yetanotherhomeschoolblog-sheri.blogspot.com)

Herbgardens
09-25-2012, 01:54 AM
I would love to be a part of this! My blog is pretty active and I was blogging 7 days a week, but have cut back to M-F, since we are back in school. Anyhow, check it out and see if it's a good fit!
The Farming Wife
(http://www.thefarmingwife.com)
Warmly,

Amy J