PDA

View Full Version : Fun math practice site?

49cats
09-10-2012, 05:21 PM
We just dropped out of the k12 virtual school program after trying it for a year. One subscription they gave the kids was to Study Island, a site with lots and lots of mulitple choice questions that had little short video games as a reward. The material went from k through 12th grade. It's pretty darned expensive to buy independently, though. Anyone know of a site for them to drill math (or other subjects) in a fun way? They are currently studying Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2, but I'd love for them to keep practicing other concepts from 7th-8th grade math.

What is IXL like? How about Mathletics?

dbmamaz
09-10-2012, 05:29 PM
not exactly what you are looking for, but Ko's Journey is a review of middle school math, esp ratios, angles, not sure what else. I keep thinking about getting it for my younger one. also khan academy is free and gives badges for completing things, but thats kinda boring.

Gabriela
09-11-2012, 04:26 PM
We use Cool Math (http://coolmath4kids.com/) and ds likes it.
Khan too.

ginnyjf
09-11-2012, 04:28 PM
IXL made my son hyperventilate, but he's a perfectionist. When his "mastery" dropped from 88% to 71% after missing one question, he was finished. We liked Reflex for fluency for a while but he's plateaued now, even with daily usage. We have a three-month free trial of Mathletics in exchange for writing three blog posts about it. Jury is still out, but he's enjoying it for now.