PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Math In Focus from greatsource.com?

ajsmami
06-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new to all this, but have been doing research for an entire year before deciding to dive in to the Homeschooling world with my 7 year old daughter for second grade starting this August. I was decided on going with Singapore Math, but read about Math in Focus from greatsource.com in the Rainbow Resource Center catalog. It's a singapore approach which I like and they give it great reviews. Does anyone have any experience with this program? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get all of my curriculum set and books ordered as soon as possible as I'm due with Baby #2 in one month. I'm trying not to get too overwhelmed, but I do feel like I'm running out of time.
Thanks,
Ali

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the group Ali and congratulations on both being a homeschooling newbie and on the impending birth of your new baby! Where are you located?

I'm sorry, I don't have any input on that particular math program. Maybe others will. I don't know if you saw, but we just had a thread about resources for 2nd graders (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/776-What-did-your-2nd-grader-learn-this-year).

Good luck with everything and ask any and all questions you can think of, we're all very happy to help to the best of our abilities!

ajsmami
06-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks Snoopy! I'm in Central Florida/Volusia County. Thank you for the welcome:) I should have asked about Singapore Math since it's one that is more known. I am so new at this....I hope everyone is patient on here:)
Ali.

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks Snoopy! I'm in Central Florida/Volusia County. Thank you for the welcome:) I should have asked about Singapore Math since it's one that is more known. I am so new at this....I hope everyone is patient on here:)
Ali.

We have lots of newbies and those of us who have been at it for a few years also have tons of questions (I know I do!) so you are in really good company! There are no stupid questions and someone will always be along to help or give feedback. The group is a little quieter on the weekends, IMO, but I'm sure the others will be along soon. Here is my tip of the day: once you have looked around a bit, use the "New Posts" link to easily find the threads that were updated since your last visit. For this, go to "Forum" and then you'll see the New Posts links at the top left corner. The search function is also very good.

Whereabouts in Volusia Co are you? We're in South Lake Co, near Clermont. I spent a year at Stetson University when I first came to the US. Noah and I visit the Gillespie Museum of Minerals there and also Blue Springs. As a matter of fact we have a trip to Blue Springs coming up in July with some homeschooling friends of ours. Are you near there?

Edited to add: don't forget to check out the Florida group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=26)as well. It's a little... dead but feel free to post stuff there (questions, resources, anything!). New posts on the groups do NOT appear in the "New Posts" (that's only for the main forums) but you can subscribe to the group or to a particular thread and get email notifications when it is updated.

ajsmami
06-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Wow! What a small world! I live in West Volusia so I'm fairly close to Stetson and have never been to Blue Springs, but know of it. I had no idea that Stetson had a mineral museum!!! I bookmarked their site so that we can check it out when we do a unit in science about minerals and rocks! Thanks! I already joined the Florida group too. Thanks for the invite:) Also, thanks for the tips on navigating the forums. I could use all the help I can get:)
Ali