PDA

View Full Version : Destination Imagination, anyone run a group before?

Sionnon
09-05-2012, 08:02 AM
I am looking at starting a Destination Imagination group for my boys and other home schooled kids near us. I would really like a realistic view of how much effort goes into it on my part and how much work I am in for. I have some health limitations currently and I don't want to take it on and find out I can't do it.

Anyone have experience?

farrarwilliams
09-05-2012, 08:35 AM
My kids have done it for three years (this will be their fourth). I organized our initial team and have coached twice and will coach again this year (but not my kids' team - our group is splitting into two teams and I'm going to take the Rising Stars group, while my kids will have their first year on the elementary division).

Compared to other things I've done, I think it's less work overall in terms of organization, but I think this can depend a lot on your own sense of organization and your team... I think the age group makes a difference as well. Remind me how old your kids are, Sionnon?

The main thing to make it work, IMO, is to really focus on helping the team develop as a group and to do things around that. If you're doing Rising Stars, you can basically interfere as much as you like. With older kids, you can't interfere with the team challenge, but you can help them prep for the instant challenges and do activities where you do help them and model how to get them to come together as a team.

I can answer more specific questions. I LOVE this program and I think it's a perfect homeschooler activity for a lot of reasons.

Sionnon
09-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I have more questions, I'll try and post them tomorrow. Long day today and my brain is mush.

Thank you :)

Sionnon
09-07-2012, 09:36 AM
My boys are 9 and 12 (about 10 and 13 birthdays coming up). Would we need to meet once a week? A couple times a week? Once a month? Are there materials available to guide us? I was reading on the website but I wanted to hear from someone who has done it the pros and cons.

Thank you :)