PDA

View Full Version : Comparitive religion materials-High school level

inmom
08-27-2012, 04:24 PM
I know there is an old thread on this, but it seems geared to younger kids.

I am searching for ideas for a comparative religion class I'm putting together for my two teens. We are looking at Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Judaism. We have the Great Courses set of DVDs, but I am also looking for books (text or otherwise) since my kids seem to learn better with the printed word.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

dbmamaz
08-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Hmm, no . .. thats an interesting question. I have the intellego unit study and was thinking of the Campbell videos on netflix.

farrarwilliams
08-27-2012, 05:52 PM
But I feel like Stella had a thread for her dd about this at some point so that would be high school level...

The book I know is this one (http://www.amazon.com/Our-Religions-Introduced-Preeminent-Tradition/dp/0060677007/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346104315&sr=8-1&keywords=our+religions), but it's been a long time since I looked at it really.

crunchymum
08-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Hi Carol
We are doing something similar for Ryan my eldest (high school).
He's fascinated by religion and has had some really wonderful conversations with a friend of ours who is working on his PhD in world religions and who leads an encounter program every summer taking his (lay person) classes to various houses of worship.

Anyway, our friend has kindly put together a reading list for Ryan. It's pulled from the University classes he teaches, and his suggested reading list for the encounter program.

His suggestions heavy on Christianity, as that is Ryan's particular interest but here's some of his broader suggestions:

Anything by Karen Armstrong,
The "A very short introduction" series
The Koran: A Very Short Introduction: Michael Cook: 9780192853448: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/The-Koran-Very-Short-Introduction/dp/0192853449)

Richard Bushman, Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling (about Mormonism)

Stephen Mitchell, The Tao Te Ching

Bart Ehrman, The New Testament: Historical Introduction

Moojan Momen, The Phenomenon of Religion: A Thematic Approach

Jacob Neusner, A Short History of Judaism: Three Meals, Three Epochs

World religions textbooks several. The two volume Oxford series divided into the Western and Eastern Traditions are probably the best. Maybe 70 pgs per major religion.

If you pm me your email I can forward his notes with his reasoning for suggesting each of these books.

In addition to reading, watching dvds etc, we are also attending services and/or visiting houses of worship of various religions. Last month we visited a Sikh gurdwara - very cool. My kids loved it.
We are hoping to arrange to visit a synagogue next month. We've had a chance to visit a few different mosques. We are lucky as my friend is an excellent guide for these sorts of visits and all my kids are finding our explorations fascinating.

Good luck with your study!

inmom
08-28-2012, 10:48 AM
But I feel like Stella had a thread for her dd about this at some point so that would be high school level...

The book I know is this one (http://www.amazon.com/Our-Religions-Introduced-Preeminent-Tradition/dp/0060677007/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346104315&sr=8-1&keywords=our+religions), but it's been a long time since I looked at it really.

Found the thread--thanks Farrar. It made using the search engine here so much easier now that I could narrow down my terms!!