PDA

View Full Version : How do you do your holiday shopping?

KrazyMomOfBoys
08-26-2012, 07:31 PM
When the kids are home and with you ALL the time how and when do you do your holiday/birthday shopping?
1. Online
2. Leave them with hubby/family member
3. While they are with you
4. Other

Avalon
08-26-2012, 09:26 PM
When they were very small (like ages 1, 2, 3), I could do it while they were with me, but that hasn't been possible for years.

I usually keep a fairly detailed list of what I want to buy, where I saw it, how much, and so on, and I plan two or three outings to go out and grab it all. It's getting more complicated as they get older, because I can't find it all at the toy store anymore.

dbmamaz
08-26-2012, 09:33 PM
i dont really shop. i get them to make a list and i do stuff on line. dh does some shopping (xmas eve usually). when they were younger, i could honestly leave bags of presents in the hall and they wouldnt look. it just didnt occur to them.

besides, i have teens, i can go out, no biggie

Staysee34
08-26-2012, 10:10 PM
I do a combination of things. Last year, it was mostly online and one shopping trip while they were visiting their dad. This year, it's hard to tell. Honestly, I haven't thought about it very much. The whole thing is a bit of a nightmare for me. Julia's birthday is 3 weeks after Christmas and Sarah's is 5 days before.

KrazyMomOfBoys
08-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all your answers. I have 4 and the oldest is 10yo so it's been hard to shop for them. I have been doing mostly online but I would love to just mosey around the store for little presents. But, it's so hard to do when they are all there. :)

farrarwilliams
08-26-2012, 11:31 PM
I mostly shop online anyway.

But if I need to leave them home, I'll just do that. Mine are old enough. When they were younger, they were way easy to distract. "Hey, kids, look over there!" Turn to salesclerk, "I'll take this, thanks."

wendygrace
08-27-2012, 12:09 AM
I mostly shop online. I used to pick up when they were with me and occasionally I can do so if I see something on clearance I think they'll love and I need to grab it quick but now adays they are asking for activities vs stuff so it makes things easier. I just make a coupon for whatever it is they asked for and we're all good. :)

JinxieFox
08-27-2012, 03:06 AM
Since we live overseas right now, doing everything online is just convenient for all gift shopping.

And since my son is 9, yeah, there's no way I can take him with me to shop for his own gifts. Not like when he was younger and oblivious. ;)

LAR
08-27-2012, 01:02 PM
It's nearly 100% online shopping for me. A few times a year, I'll let the kiddos with my mother and grab a few surprises. Free shipping works for me.

Sherry
08-27-2012, 01:04 PM
I do most of my shopping online. For the remainder I use a combination of leaving the children and dh at home and sending dh. Sending dh works best if I know exactly what I want, how much it costs, and where he will find it.

zcat
08-27-2012, 01:15 PM
online, other
I shop online. Dh picks things up without dd being along.
I suppose dd has also been with us a time or two.

We aren't particularly secretive about gifts for dd here. Dd does not react well to surprises so she usually knows in advance what we will be getting her for gifts for birthday or Christmas. We do more surprise gift shopping for Easter or Valentine's Day and dh picks that stuff out and it is very small stuff.

crunchynerd
08-27-2012, 01:42 PM
It's hard, but honestly, with 3 kids, we've decided to try the wisdom of moving past the consumerist model of holidays. That it's not meant to be about buying and exchanging stuff. So for birthdays, I like the concept that if my kid has a party, we tell the other parents, this is not a gift-shopping occasion, that there will be a used book swap instead, and no one has to trade a storebought thing for a plastic bag full of junk toys and junk candy. Most of the parents I know, like this idea.

As for Christmas, we are trying really hard to reclaim it as a special time for shared memories and experiences, rather than a huge buildup of anticipation for an enormous stack of stuff, most of which we didn't want or need.

This is supremely hard with grandparents and doting aunts.

ginnyjf
08-27-2012, 02:22 PM
I do all holiday shopping online and have the packages shipped to the plant where my husband works. He stashes everything in his office.

ourjourney
08-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Most of the time I buy gifts online. That way I kind find exactly what they want and it comes delivered to my door. What's not to love about that? Occasionally when I see something extra special in a store I will make a special night trip after the kiddos are in bed, but that is rare.

h5rus
08-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Most of the time we buy online. When the kids are really young, it's easier to sneak a purchase with them around.

Stella M
08-27-2012, 07:27 PM
At the last minute. Full of dread. Wearing ear plugs and a blindfold.

Idk. This year my eldest is old enough to do it for me.

I hate Christmas.

Jeni
08-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Online, unless I wait until too late and then have someone else watch them.

jujsky
09-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Ha-ha! I voted in every category. I shop all 4 ways. My "other" is that I make some of their gifts. I have a gift each in my closet that I've made, one I bought when they were with me at the store, a couple from online, and our evil Furbies are being shipped from Toys R Us. DH and I will probably hit the stores at some point and leave the kids with family so we can shop.

Riceball_Mommy
09-20-2012, 08:59 AM
I kind of checked all of them because I've done all of it. I've also done the clever thing where there's two of us in the store with her, and one of us will stay with her while the other grabs whatever it is and heads for the checkout unnoticed. It's great to get a couple of things, and a lot easier than trying to find time to go out without her.

Operetta
09-23-2012, 10:41 AM
I make some gifts but what I buy I usually buy online since I do most shopping online; it's just so much easier for me.

crunchynerd
09-24-2012, 11:33 PM
I do all of the above, but we're trying really hard to scale back to very little shopping, especially at Christmas. Materialism sucks the joy out of holidays, as well as money out of the bank. We're really trying to focus on shared traditions, and experiences, and de-emphasize a mountain of gifts. I think this coming year, we need to make it that no one gets more than 3 gifts. About the only way to do that, is to somehow enforce a ban on swapping gifts, with relatives, or have everyone draw lots on whom to gift.