PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a blog or wiki to homeschool?

Kelli
08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has used a blog or wiki as an area to communicate with the student.:confused: I saw someone on another forum say they do this but there were no details.
I thought I could have assignments and resources, like links to articles that ds16 could access and he could respond to questions, write essays etc it could act as a log or journal of his work.
I have never done this and was hoping to get some tips. Is a blog better than a wiki etc. how to keep it private.

TIA
Kelli in AK

dbmamaz
08-26-2012, 05:25 PM
no, nothing like that. my son has done some blogging as free writing, and we use Cozi for electronic assignments - i can access it from my pc or my ipad, and he can access it from his pc or his ipod-touch, we use the to-do lists for assignments

Kelli
08-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks Cara I will do some research.

farrarwilliams
08-26-2012, 11:38 PM
But why? I mean, if you had a classroom full of kids living in different places... but isn't it just more efficient to say, "Hey, kid of mine, do that and look at this," than to set up a website and links and type it up?

Stella M
08-27-2012, 02:30 AM
I was just about to type what Farrar said.

It doesn't seem time efficient. And I would feel silly typing up a post for my kid to read 10 min later, kwim ?

I do sometimes pin links for my dd14 to look at.

ginnyjf
08-27-2012, 10:36 AM
We have a homeschooling website, but I update it in lieu of keeping a portfolio of work. I also like having a central place to keep everything together (field trips, classes, events, book reports, our weekly schedule, curriculum used, samples of writing, a book list, good websites). It took a few days to set up this summer but takes only 15 minutes to update at the end of each day.

ksb427
08-27-2012, 11:29 AM
We use Google Docs for writing assignments which has come in very handy with my 12-year old. For assignments we use Google Calendar which I can share with him since he has an account.

dbmamaz
08-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Well, for me, i really need schedules, so i never just randomly think of what i want my son to do, and if I dont have it written down i'll forget. But giving it to him ahead of time encourages him to take more responsibility for his academic work (as in, getting closer to college where he has to do assignments, etc). Plus he doesnt have to interupt me when I'm working with his brother. And i dont have to waste paper. I DEFINITELY LOVE having an online assignment sheet for him.

as for the writing assignments? right now he emails them to me, but he uses open office and i have word 2002, and he always has to remember to save in the correct format. doing it on line might be easier - except i like him practiing formatting with a wordprocessing program, since thats what he's likely to be doing most future important writing on. But maybe google docs? My daughter just shared her google calendar with me, so I know her work schedule and can figure if she's home for dinner or not. maybe i should check out google docs

Links? i've emailed links to my kids before, and I have had a link or two on Orion's checklist. Seriously, what better way is there to tell them to go to a website? I guess maybe if you share a computer, you could do it differently, but we each have our own.

I really wonder how much of it is the age thing? Or just a teaching style, idk

dorab
09-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't use a blog but I do use YouTube- they have so many excellent videos but of course you have to find them. I would use a blog or youtube as long as I know the material or instruction is created by an expereinced homeschooler or teacher.

Lorraine
09-06-2012, 05:26 PM
But why? I mean, if you had a classroom full of kids living in different places... but isn't it just more efficient to say, "Hey, kid of mine, do that and look at this," than to set up a website and links and type it up?

Lol! That's what occurred to me at first, too. It reminded me of some couples I know who communicate to each other on facebook when they're in different rooms in the same house.

The more I read though, the more useful it's seeming! It seems like a good way to store work and assignments for future use and checking writing assignments without wasting paper.