PDA

View Full Version : I really, really hate

Wilma
06-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Windows. We used to be Mac people. Still are, but when we had kids we figured the responsible thing was to spend money on them and not on technology. DH is a Linux programmer and we really like Linux. However, I would need him to show me the ropes on getting Linux to work with all the windows stuff. And Carbonite doesn't work with Linux.

but I hate Windows.

There, I said it.

ETA: It heard me. While typing this diatribe I got a pop up allowing me to do what I have been trying to do for the last 2 hours.

jessicalb
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
I used to be a devoted Apple supporter, back when I had a super souped up tower. Now I have an iMac and Apple sucks. Alex has a Windows PC and Microsoft sucks. Someday maybe I'll get more techie and learn Linux, because these big corporations are doing me no favors!

But I am glad you got your thing to work! :)

camaro
06-18-2010, 12:43 PM
I started on Linux back in 1997 with Redhat 4.2, downloading it on dialup and copying to 3.5" floppies and had a decade of fun editing configuration files and recompiling kernels. Then we had kids. I didn't have time to play anymore Now while I still have Linux (and WinXP) on a couple of machines I'm a dedicated Mac user. For us, it's been a joy not to have to fiddle to get something to work. I had an easier time getting networking to work in Linux than Windows, but with the Mac it was just there up and running when we booted the machines. Installing a printer is just plugging it in and adding it in the printer setup. No drivers to install. I put a Mac Mini on the TV. I plugged it in and it worked without doing anything else.

I must say thought that Linux has come a long way since I started with it. I'd rate it just about as easy (or easier) than installing Windows now.

Shoe
06-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I've never used a Mac before, so I can't speak to that.

But though I love my IPod Touch (the only Apple product I've ever owned or used), I really, really don't like the ITunes software needed to interface with the computer. Maybe it's just my age (since my kids seem to have no problem with it at all), but I have had endless problems getting files transferred from other parts of my hard drive, getting the correct things to sync, etc. If the Macs are similar, perhaps it's just as well that I've stayed away from them all these years. Apple has made some money form me on telephone support calls, I think (at least I don't believe they were free), and on line chats just to try and get it working for me :(.

Melyssa
06-18-2010, 03:46 PM
I'll take my Windows any day over a Mac. Tried it, hated it.

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm a PC but I hate Vista. HATE IT. My newish laptop (bought last fall) won't let me download photos from my Kodak camera (won't recognize it even when I download the latest drivers), won't recognize my iPod Touch (although iTunes does recognize it so I guess it's not an issue after all) and no one, anywhere, has a fix for it. I'm glad I kept my old XP desktop despite Greg's urgings to get rid of it because right now I mostly use the laptop to post online and the XP desktop to do everything else.

I really liked my Macs when I used them at work. I love love love my iTouch and I haven't had problems with iTunes, although I don't like the interface at all. Give me Windows Media Player any day.

Melyssa
06-18-2010, 04:00 PM
I didn't like Vista either. But I've had Windows 7 since Feb and so far, so good. I have no complaints.

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 07:27 PM
I didn't like Vista either. But I've had Windows 7 since Feb and so far, so good. I have no complaints. Yeah, Greg has Windows 7 and loves it. Maybe I'll ask for it for my birthday at the end of the year.

firefly
06-19-2010, 12:09 AM
I've been mostly a PC user - loving Mac from afar - for years. So many years that I don't know now if I can handle the switch. I would love to just plug things in (willy nilly) & get on with it. But I don't like that only Apple can do the repairs.

I fell in love w/ the iPad & am going back ("Apple Picking") for another look next week. I just want the iPad to support Flash, have USB ports, a camera & be bigger. Other companies are set to come out with their rivals early next year - so maybe I should just wait...

jessicalb
06-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Firefly, for what it's worth, I've always done my own Mac repairs, sometimes with the help of a very techy friend, and sometimes just on my own. It's not as hard as they'd like you to believe (and pay big bucks for).

camaro
06-19-2010, 12:50 AM
I've done repairs on Apple computers, to the point of replacing a screen on an older G4 Powerbook which required completely dismantling the machine. I couldn't have done it without iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/). Their step-by-step repair guides are an excellent resource for fixing Apple hardware including iPods and iPhones. The guides are quite painstaking in their detail. I believe it was 34 steps to change the screen, including a couple of steps where it was simply "This is what your machine should look like now."

But for what its worth, I've heard very good things about Apple's warrantee service (and their extended warrantee AppleCare). Fortunately I haven't needed it for our machines so I can't speak from personal experience.

SunshineKris
06-19-2010, 02:03 AM
I am so sick of Windows-based machines!! I am sick of the Blue Screen of Death! Even after an upgrade from Vista (YUCK!) to Windows 7 I am getting it. A scan reveals nothing. I am tired of wasting money on technology so often for so many problems. I think we are going to upgrade to an Apple something-or-other soon enough. And I am sure at some point DH will insist on having an iPad, but he has the iTouch already and I am nearly certain he will get an iPhone when we move back to the states. And I already have a Kindle so no real need for the iPad. (Don't let DH read that!)

jessicalb
06-19-2010, 08:43 AM
For anyone who is upgrading to Apple, I would caution against the iMac. The repairs are just ludicrous. Possible, but seriously, we had to pull the glass off the front with a suction cup to change the hard drive, which should not have failed that early anyway.

If I had it to do over, or if I was advising a friend, I'd say get a mini or a tower. If you can afford the tower, get it. I had my tower from 2001 to 2008. It still ran fine in 2008, but newer software was really, really slow. My iMac has had more, and more significant, problems in the less than two years I've had it than I had in seven years with the tower.

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 09:44 AM
I couldn't have done it without iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/). Their step-by-step repair guides are an excellent resource for fixing Apple hardware including iPods and iPhones. The guides are quite painstaking in their detail. I believe it was 34 steps to change the screen, including a couple of steps where it was simply "This is what your machine should look like now."
Thanks for mentioning this David. I think I had used it before but never bookmarked it. It's bookmarked now!

For those of you who have an iTouch and might not have put a case on it right away (like me? lol) and hate that the back is all scratched and dull now and that the screen is scratched, there is a detailed tutorial with pictures on refurbishing your iTouch here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=871308). I don't think I would attempt to do it (I'm not anal enough, I just popped a screen protector on mine and a gaming case that makes it easier to grip, anyway) but I bookmarked it in case one day, in a fit of madness and moment of pure boredom, I want to try it.

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 09:50 AM
I fell in love w/ the iPad & am going back ("Apple Picking") for another look next week. I just want the iPad to support Flash, have USB ports, a camera & be bigger. Other companies are set to come out with their rivals early next year - so maybe I should just wait...

Firefly (and others), help me here... 'cause I don't "get" the iPad. I've never seen one up close (I do have an iTouch though) but it seems to me that it would be incredibly awkward to use, no? I mean a laptop sits on your lap and your screen is facing you. But with an iPad you'd have to have it flat on your lap or hold it up like an iTouch but it's much bigger... Isn't it awkward to type on it? Do you have to hold it and use your thumbs to type like with an iTouch? That would drastically reduce the frequency of my posts here, lol. And then you can't load software on it (or can you?) or hook it up to peripherals? (or can you?) like printers, scanners, etc... It just sounds to me like it's a big toy but not actually a computer, right? Not to slam your desire for one, I just don't understand...

camaro
06-19-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't have an iPad, but I'd like one someday. I've listened to much talk about them and it seems there is some confusion about what sort of device it is. I consider it a "media consumption device" and if you're expecting to do much "work" on it you'll be disappointed. That being said, you can connect blue-tooth keyboards to it (Apple has one with an iPad dock) and install apps through iTunes from the app store. I've heard printing from it is a PITA but have also heard that Apple's working on something to make it easier.

If I had one I'd envision watching video or reading ebooks, magazine articles, web sites, playing a few games...I would probably not get the iPad versions of the iWork apps or do email on it. I think it's too big to replace a mobile phone "in the field". For example I use Evernote (http://www.evernote.com) on my Blackberry Storm to record new baby calves when I find them and when I open the same app on my Mac that info is there for me to enter into my spreadsheet of the cattle herd. I couldn't see taking an iPad in the truck with me.

Clear as mud? :)

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Clear as mud? :) No, it actually was pretty clear, thanks! I guess that's what I thought it was, and I don't get it. It seems to me that I can have my laptop, which is fully functional, and my iTouch, which is very portable and not unyieldy, and be able to accomplish more than I would with just an iPad. But I've always been the uncool kid when it comes to gadgets. Well, until Greg got me my iTouch and then I became VERY cool in my kids' eyes, lol.

Well, to each its own, and if anyone wants to buy one, I wish you lots of happiness with it ;)

Shoe
06-19-2010, 02:07 PM
No, it actually was pretty clear, thanks! I guess that's what I thought it was, and I don't get it. It seems to me that I can have my laptop, which is fully functional, and my iTouch, which is very portable and not unyieldy, and be able to accomplish more than I would with just an iPad. But I've always been the uncool kid when it comes to gadgets. Well, until Greg got me my iTouch and then I became VERY cool in my kids' eyes, lol.

Well, to each its own, and if anyone wants to buy one, I wish you lots of happiness with it ;)

I'm with you, Nathalie. I looked at the IPad and thought that it had all the disadvantages of both a laptop and an Ipod Touch and very few, if any, advantages that would recommend it to me. I love my laptop, hardly ever use the desktop anymore, and I love my I-Touch, but both serve very different functions in my life. The Ipad just doesn't seem to fit either side of my needs very well.

camaro
06-19-2010, 02:33 PM
You know, there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground when it comes to opinions of the iPad. People either seem to think it's ideal or they think it's one of the worst things to come out of Apple. Perhaps because I'm not a big laptop user I see more use for it in my life. I don't really like typing on laptops and find the screens a bit small.

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't really like typing on laptops and find the screens a bit small. Are you thinking about netbooks, David? Because my laptop screen is way bigger than an Ipad would be, I think. I just measured it and it's 13.5 cm x 7.5 cm. And there larger ones, although if I'm going to go that large, than I'd rather buy a new desktop. You're right though, we like what we like, right?

camaro
06-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I mean portable devices in general have screens too small for me to really enjoy using for multi-app, multi-window usage patterns. I like leaving all my windows open scattered across my multiple desktops. It's something I got used to in the Linux world and continue to enjoy on the Mac. So I see the iPad as being good in a one-app-at-a-time kind of way, which is how I use my netbook. Fire up Firefox to read SHS or Slashdot or whatever, or let the kids watch something at gymnastics while they wait for their class. I realize 'real' laptops have larger screens (up to 17" on mainstream machines) and could probably handle my usage patterns fairly well, but I'm running 23" on my desktop with a full size keyboard and I'm kinda set in my ways. :)

jessicalb
06-19-2010, 07:04 PM
David! You should get a second monitor. It's the best thing ever. I have so much junk open all across both screens. It's a thing of beauty. :D

camaro
06-19-2010, 10:05 PM
I'd love a second monitor, Jessica! I just don't have the desk space for one as I share this desk with a PC that shares the monitor. I'm fairly comfortable using Spaces to switch between different desktops, though, since I've been doing it for so long in Linux. I have a virtual desktop for Mail, one for web browsers, one for iTunes and one for everything else.

But you got me thinking...if I pushed this over here...and that over there...and the Mini would fit under the monitor bezel...hmmmm....

jessicalb
06-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm telling you, it's a whole new world!

I should learn how to use the multiple desktop thing. I know it's there, it's just never been a priority. :)