PDA

View Full Version : Six Flags

paganmomblog
06-18-2010, 06:52 AM
I just wanted to brag about our trip to Six Flags over Georgia.

Molly had gotten a free pass when she did Math A Thon for St Jude's in the spring so I had gotten our tickets online ($30 each instead of $50) and we had a blast! Molly isn't much of a thrill seeker so she was happy with the Carousel and Bumper Cars. She did ride a fast roller coaster with me (one of the few I will get on), the log flume with her daddy, and our entire group did Thunder River.

Claire is the thrill seeker. I have a paralyzing fear of heights so roller coasters I can't do. Daddy is a big guy and cannot fit on most. So we brought a friend along that loves roller coasters. She is still too short to do them all, like she wants to, but what she could get on she would. Our friend laughed because she gets pretty scared and grabbed his arm but she wouldn't give up. Now all she is talking about is going next year and insisting we bring our friend again.

This was also Alex's first real trip to an amusement park. He did Disney and Universal Studios with us 2 years ago (when we won tickets) but he couldn't do much then. This time he was all over the kiddie rides, Log Flume, bumper cars, Carousel, and Hanson Cars. It was super cute watching him because he was just so excited.

Weather was great.It was suppoesd to rain all afternoon but never did. It was hot but we were prepared for it as I picked June purposely because it's a slow month. It's also why we chose to go mid week. We never really waited more than 15 minutes. Thunder River we had 25 min wait because they had to inspect something. Anyone who has frequented the Six Flags knows that waiting under 30 min for anything (especially a water ride!) is a blessing lol!

On the way home hubs asked me if the kids could still do Math A Thon even though they won't be in ps anymore. I researched and from what I see they can. This makes him happy as that means less spending for us!

Anywho, any exciting plans for you all this summer?

StartingOver
06-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Oh I love Six Flags !! I can't wait till the kids are big enough to go, and really have some fun. We used to get season passes to the Arlington Six Flags every year.

jessicalb
06-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Ohhh I love roller coasters! So glad you had fun!

Our summer plans are to hang out in the AC and try to avoid sunburns! We may go to San Diego and play on the beach, but I suspect we'll wait until school is back in so it's a bit less crazy. :)

pandahoneybee
06-18-2010, 09:44 AM
We don't have one close anymore, but we loved to go when DH and I were teenagers in MO;) boys would love it;)

paganmomblog
06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
This was our big summer trip. After this hubs is real excited that we can plan trips in fall and winter when some places are less crowded. The only other thing on our to-do list is to do some camping trips. We can find a spot within 15 min from our house so that is a big plus. The not so fun stuff to do is finish getting our house in order, which must be done by June 30 (cause I said so lol).

Sarbare0704
06-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Yay for a fun day! I used to get a season pass to Six Flags when I was in high school and haven't been back since LOL We are only about a half hour from the "Chicago" one which is not really in Chicago LOL I would like to go back but just cannot see spending that much money! At least not until either the kids are older because we don't really have a babysitter. I can't really do the spinney rides just the roller coasters, the spinney ones make me puke :( So yeah it is just not worth all the money for us. There is a kids park like 2 hours from us in Green Bay and we took Lucy there last year and spent a total of 5$! She had a blast! I think we will stick with that for a while!

paganmomblog
06-18-2010, 03:20 PM
$5 is an awesome deal! Six Flags is definetly not worth it if the kids aren't older. All that walking around too can tire out those little legs.

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 03:43 PM
I went to Six Flags over Georgia a looong time ago, before I had kids. Despite appaling cleanliness (I worked at Disney in the parks back then so that was really important to me!), the park was the best time I had ever had. Love the wooden rollercoasters! Nowadays I get nausea easily so I don't think I could go on any of those rides anymore...

I'm so glad you have a good time, Angela! How did you get manage to win tickets to Disney and Universal? Did you hear that today is the grand opening of the Wizarding World Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure? It looks sooooooo good, I might just have to shell out the money for tickets in a few months when the crowds have died down...

paganmomblog
06-18-2010, 04:48 PM
I went to Six Flags over Georgia a looong time ago, before I had kids. Despite appaling cleanliness (I worked at Disney in the parks back then so that was really important to me!), the park was the best time I had ever had. Love the wooden rollercoasters! Nowadays I get nausea easily so I don't think I could go on any of those rides anymore...

I'm so glad you have a good time, Angela! How did you get manage to win tickets to Disney and Universal? Did you hear that today is the grand opening of the Wizarding World Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure? It looks sooooooo good, I might just have to shell out the money for tickets in a few months when the crowds have died down...

Actually I mistyped that lol. We won tickets to Disney through a raffle at the girls' ps. We bought week passes for Universal Studios and took the entire week down in Orlando with my inlaws timeshare. We did hear about Harry Potter and I am bugging the hubs for us to make a trip down next year maybe around Thanksgiving so we can visit with his Aunt in Homestead.

Have you checked the week passes? I haven't in awhile but we paid $70 a person and got unlimited 7 day access to both parks and Alex was free because he was 2. Not exactly cheap but since we were going down for a week anyway we figured we might as well try it. I love those weeklong passes. Hell I might have to go see if they still have it lol.

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Have you checked the week passes? I haven't in awhile but we paid $70 a person and got unlimited 7 day access to both parks. Well for Florida residents they usually have a "buy a 1 day ticket and come back for the year" deal, but it doesn't include parking (and I think it's something like $13 a pop now) and since I have 5 kids at home now, it'd be still quite expensive. I hate crowds so I probably wouldn't go very often. I really REALLY want to see the Harry Potter section though. Sigh.

paganmomblog
06-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Well for Florida residents they usually have a "buy a 1 day ticket and come back for the year" deal, but it doesn't include parking (and I think it's something like $13 a pop now) and since I have 5 kids at home now, it'd be still quite expensive. I hate crowds so I probably wouldn't go very often. I really REALLY want to see the Harry Potter section though. Sigh.

Well I checked the passes last night and they are twice as expensive as they used to be. So it doesn't look like we will get to see it either!With 5 of us it would be almost $800 just in tickets. Hubs joked that when the kids are older and we could ship them off to a relative then maybe we could do a week romantic getaway, LOL! That would be what we would do and call it "romantic".

Wilma
06-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Six Flags used to own one of the local parks. It is small and was perfect for the kids when they were younger. I agree, the regular parks are too big. I don't like the size. They would be overwhelming to a little kid.

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Hubs joked that when the kids are older and we could ship them off to a relative then maybe we could do a week romantic getaway, LOL! That would be what we would do and call it "romantic". Hey, anytime I can go somewhere with my husband I say it's romantic, because we never go anywhere together! Him giving me a ride to the mechanic's to pick up my car? That's a "date" in my book! OK, that's kind of sad now that I'm re-reading it.

Theme park tickets are out of control in the Orlando area. I don't know anyone local who actually goes to them. I've been wanting to buy annual passes for Walt Disney World but I don't have over a thousand dollars for our entertainment budget (even if I used it educationally) so we do without. I worked there for 15 years so my older kids got their fill of it when we could go for free, but Noah got the shaft since I was laid off when he was 2.5! They have an "After 2 p.m." pass that's more affordable but that won't work for us. We need a "Before 2 p.m." pass, lol. The problem is that if I buy passes for just Noah and me, then the others will want to come too. As they grow older and start spending more time with their friends than with us, maybe I can sneak the passes past them, lol. My 16 year-old is looking for a job and WDW would be perfect for him but it's an hour drive from here, negating any profit he would make from working for minimum wage in the parks :(

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Well I checked the passes last night and they are twice as expensive as they used to be. So it doesn't look like we will get to see it either!With 5 of us it would be almost $800 just in tickets. Hubs joked that when the kids are older and we could ship them off to a relative then maybe we could do a week romantic getaway, LOL! That would be what we would do and call it "romantic".

Angela, a former of my co-workers now works for Universal and she posted pictures of the lines for Harry Potter yesterday. Here is one... how romantic do you think it would have been to spend the whole day in line in 100 degree heat? And it's only part of the line... Ugh.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/frugalnathalie/HarryPotterLine.jpg

Edited to add: oh yay, I saw the other photos, this is a TINY part of the line. Disney is probably dead right now, I told Greg it might actually be a good time for us to go to WDW, lol.