PDA

View Full Version : English for 11th grade? Suggestions needed

Kelli
08-20-2012, 10:44 PM
:( I have read so many reviews and I do not know what to get for language arts.
I would love your suggestions. My son is 16 and an advanced reader with decent writing skills.
I want something doable for me like a lesson plan to follow but interesting for him.

Thank you
Kelli

dbmamaz
08-21-2012, 10:20 AM
well, we are using Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings. My teen also has done half of Bravewriter's Help for High School - the first half was really pretty cool, havent checked out the second half. then i make him do essays for history, too. i still might drag out the level 4 MCT grammar and vocab books i bought 2 years ago . . .

Kelli
08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
How did you like the MCT? I was looking at it the other day.

Thanks
Kelli

dbmamaz
08-22-2012, 11:25 PM
I did Paragraph Town w my son in 8th grade, and the full voyage set in 9th/10th. I felt like we made a lot of progress, but it got really dry eventually. The older versions of level 4 i have seem . . . really dry. I think its better if you are strongly academic and want something to work with your kids at a very high level with, but i was struggling to use it. But as I said, i might try again.

His system is pretty thorough tho - a grammar book, a grammar practice book (like diagramming but not quite), a vocab book, a poetry book, a writing book. But the three higher level books the writing is all about research papers, I think. Dry . . . thorough . . great if you are leaning towards a competitive college imo

Kelli
08-26-2012, 04:39 PM
I decided to base the class on AP Language and Composition using several resources. I made a syllabus today. Wish us luck!

Kelli in AK

dbmamaz
08-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Goood luck!

farrarwilliams
08-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Good luck! My kids are little, but the two AP English classes are something I'm looking forward to teaching one day.

punchbuggyblue
08-30-2012, 07:14 AM
I absolutely LOVE Excellence in Literature (http://knowtheyloveyou.blogspot.ca/2012/08/english-literature-excellence-in.html)!

It's out of this world. It's a self-directed course, but everything is laid out for the student...and the home school teacher! Can't say enough great stuff about this course!

Check here to find out more. Link (http://knowtheyloveyou.blogspot.ca/2012/08/english-literature-excellence-in.html)
These are the books used: Link (http://knowtheyloveyou.blogspot.ca/2012/08/books-for-excellence-in-literature.html)
They offer 5 years of coursework, you could choose your best fit.

Hope that helps!
Lisa

cutillo2014
09-22-2012, 01:53 AM
We're in the same boat with the language arts and global studies. We combined World Literature with Writing/Language Arts --we looked at different college syllabi on the internet, reviewed and selected a few textbooks that had been repeatedly seen such as Norton's World Literature and then looked for books related to the topics we are covering in Global Studies with many selected for raising global and social justice awareness as well as science themes. Its a very creative syllabus and so far my son (15) is really enjoying sharing the responsibility of 'co-authoring' his syllabi this year!

crunchymum
09-22-2012, 11:26 PM
We're in the same boat with the language arts and global studies. We combined World Literature with Writing/Language Arts --we looked at different college syllabi on the internet, reviewed and selected a few textbooks that had been repeatedly seen such as Norton's World Literature and then looked for books related to the topics we are covering in Global Studies with many selected for raising global and social justice awareness as well as science themes. Its a very creative syllabus and so far my son (15) is really enjoying sharing the responsibility of 'co-authoring' his syllabi this year!

ARe you using a curriculum for Global Studies? And would you mind sharing your reading list?
Thanks in advance.