PDA

View Full Version : With this talk of clean fridges, closets, etc.

Wilma
06-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Do you follow a housekeeping system? I have started doing Sidetracked Home Executives. Actually, I have restarted it. It is a system of cards for daily, weekly and monthly chores. I must say, since restarting SHE, my house has been much cleaner. My youngest pulls out the cards every morning and sorts them into piles for everyone. The fridge is a weekly job. it has really been quite nice.

Anyway, do any of you use Fly Lady or Motivated Moms or the housekeeping app for your iphone or anything like that? Or do you just make friends with the dust bunnies and name them?

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Or do you just make friends with the dust bunnies and name them? Fluffy and wife are expecting lots of little fluffballs so I've stopped naming them.
I tried to do a modified Fly Lady a couple of times (I CANNOT wear shoes in my house, I enjoy being barefoot!) but it didn't last very long. I despise housework and only do it if I absolutely have to. Since I don't like having people over either, it doesn't seem to matter all that much. Low lights are your friends and dirt builds up your kids' immune system!

Sarbare0704
06-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Nathalie I'm a lot like you! I only seem to clean when it is necessary! The only problem is it drives me nuts to have a messy house and stresses me out! I love it when it's clean and I feel so much better that way but lack the motivation to actually clean it! Plus once it is clean if someone messes it up I'm just pissed! LOL

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Nathalie I'm a lot like you! I only seem to clean when it is necessary! The only problem is it drives me nuts to have a messy house and stresses me out! I love it when it's clean and I feel so much better that way but lack the motivation to actually clean it! Plus once it is clean if someone messes it up I'm just pissed! LOL Oh Sara, you're right, we are a lot alike! Clutter stresses me to no end and right now my house feels very cluttered. A big purge is coming on soon...

Busygoddess
06-18-2010, 12:38 AM
We use a system I organized. We have daily chores - laundry, dishes, general straightening up, sweeping rooms where food was prepared or eaten. Each day 1-3 areas or rooms get deep cleaned. We also have some monthly chores, like windows.
I try to keep on everyone about getting their chores done. We're usually pretty good about it, though sometimes we slack a bit. I have looked at the systems you mentioned (I'm always trying to find ways to improve what we're doing), but there was always something I didn't like about them. Our house is not spotless; it couldn't be - all of us have ADHD, I'm the only one who really has organizational skills, and 3 of us are home all day. It's not filthy either, though. It's 'lived in.' It's pretty clean, except when I've been sick or in too much pain to do housework. We don't have to run around doing major cleaning when someone is coming over & I'm not usually embarassed if company shows up unexpectedly. So, I'd say my method works quite well for us.

dbmamaz
06-18-2010, 12:42 AM
I tried flylady for a while, but I lost it . . .idk, i think during that awful period when hubby left me for 6 mo while my middle was being dx'd. Most things fell to the wayside then.

I do still have a daily chore concept (m-upstairs vacuum and put away laundry; t downstairs vac; w bathrooms, r paperwork/yardwork, f laundry) but i seem to only get m and t done. dh does the dishes and i love cooking. i have no trouble with the laundry, my once-a-week system works for me. But its the general keeping up that I cant keep up lol. flylady was really motivational for me for a while, but now i'm just too fried.

reversemigration
06-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Does it count that I have Organized Home (http://organizedhome.com/) bookmarked?

I try to keep to a two-week schedule, but it's been overwhelmed lately with the necessity of keeping up with outside chores and renovation as well. There's a reason why this place had servant quarters built in - it's too damn big to keep up with sanity intact. What further clutters (ha!) the situation is we have a multi-generational house, and MIL is a serious hoarder. She won't make a reality show anytime soon, but it's bad enough that, after being given the proverbial three bags of "keep", "donate", and "throw away" by my wife, the latter two bags had a grand total of a bent coat hanger and a stick.

My current two-week schedule includes taking the children and running away to my parent's house for a vacation.

BPier12
06-18-2010, 01:15 AM
She won't make a reality show anytime soon, but it's bad enough that, after being given the proverbial three bags of "keep", "donate", and "throw away" by my wife, the latter two bags had a grand total of a bent coat hanger and a stick..

LOL!!!!!! Sounds exactly like my father-in-law. I feel your pain..

I'm a Flylady dropout.

Busygoddess
06-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Does it count that I have Organized Home (http://organizedhome.com/) bookmarked?

I try to keep to a two-week schedule, but it's been overwhelmed lately with the necessity of keeping up with outside chores and renovation as well. There's a reason why this place had servant quarters built in - it's too damn big to keep up with sanity intact. What further clutters (ha!) the situation is we have a multi-generational house, and MIL is a serious hoarder. She won't make a reality show anytime soon, but it's bad enough that, after being given the proverbial three bags of "keep", "donate", and "throw away" by my wife, the latter two bags had a grand total of a bent coat hanger and a stick.

My current two-week schedule includes taking the children and running away to my parent's house for a vacation.

I come from a family of packrats, so I feel your pain. When my grandpa dies, it's going to take months of around the clock work (by several of us) to clean out the years of worthless junk that man has collected. My sis & I have decided that when our mom goes, we'd rather burn the house, with all her crap in it, than deal with having to sort through it all.

SunshineKris
06-19-2010, 03:14 AM
I tried FlyLady. I'm with Nathalie, BAREFOOT is a must! I hate shoes, I try to only wear them when running (though I am looking into barefoot running) or if it's cold outside. And I just couldn't keep up with the schedule. And the emails, oh the emails. TONS of them each day. Too many to deal with. I need to just clear out and clean up and try to keep it that way. Now that we are going to homeschool I have made the kids' chore charts bigger/longer as they are the ones who begged to be homeschooled. That means they will need to help out more around the house. Lucky me.

Melyssa
06-19-2010, 03:41 AM
I rarely clean. I pick things up a lot since I hate clutter. That isn't cleaning though. I only really CLEAN if I know someone is coming over and that is RARE. I never invite people to my house. I don't like visitors. I prefer to visit other people. This is especially easy to accomplish now that we've moved and I don't really know anyone to invite over anyway! LOL

jessicalb
06-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Melyssa, I am like you, except I am fine with having people over. I keep the clutter picked up but the baseboards are dirty and there is dust everywhere and I just don't care. ;)

dottieanna29
06-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Fluffy and wife are expecting lots of little fluffballs so I've stopped naming them.
I tried to do a modified Fly Lady a couple of times (I CANNOT wear shoes in my house, I enjoy being barefoot!) but it didn't last very long. I despise housework and only do it if I absolutely have to. Since I don't like having people over either, it doesn't seem to matter all that much. Low lights are your friends and dirt builds up your kids' immune system!

Me too!! I tried FlyLady but I don't ever wear shoes in the house or get dressed first thing in the morning so I immediately felt like a failure. I think shoes are uncomfortable and it just makes the rugs dirtier. I also have an odd evening schedule with having to drive oldest dd to dance every other week - sometimes I get home just in time to go to bed so any before bed chores don't get done. Then once I get a little behind, all those emails become a real source of stress. I did try to do it with a newborn and a two year old so maybe I should try again - but I still refuse to wear shoes.

My house is impossible to really keep clean. It is extremely small, no closets, no attic, no basement so there is no way to have a designated space for all the stuff needed by two adults, a teenager and two little kids. So, things get moved from place to place - I have to move the garbage cans to do laundry but then can't do dishes at the same time. Plus, with two little kids who keep finding new ways to get into things - there's always a new big mess to clean up. On the bright side, my tiny house is my excuse for never having anyone over.

I can't wait for my new house. That I'll be able to keep absolutely spotless and always ready for company to drop in. I promise. :rolleyes:

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 11:01 AM
That means they will need to help out more around the house. Lucky me. LOL, I know, right?! I had stopped giving my kids chores because I just couldn't stand the stress of them "helping" me! But I have now realized that they must have done that on purpose JUST so that I would say "never mind!". My kids are smarter than I give them credit for... (sorry for the preposition at the end, there! "Smarter than for which I give them credit?" that sounds awkward (http://www.yourdictionary.com/grammar-rules/Ending-a-Sentence-with-a-Preposition.html))

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Melyssa, I am like you, except I am fine with having people over. Great, Noah and I'll be over this afternoon since we don't have any plans and I'm raking my brain for something to do (guess I could give that cleaning a try, since you all are so fond of it). Will we be having snacks?

lol.

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 11:10 AM
I can't wait for my new house. That I'll be able to keep absolutely spotless and always ready for company to drop in. I promise. :rolleyes: LOL, I was going to tell you that we'll be sure to come visit then and when I clicked on "reply with quote", it shows the actual description of the smiley you used and I saw it was a "rolling eyes" one :) I DO need new glasses, good grief!

We're a little like you. Our house is actually pretty big but it's from 1930 so TINY closets, no basement or attic (well there's a tiny unfinished, uninsolated room upstairs where I stuffed our Xmas stuff and camping gear) and the kids (and I, to be fair) leave stuff on every single surface that we have so we would drive Melyssa and Jessica out of their minds :)

wild_destiny
06-19-2010, 11:17 AM
My step-grandmother (a wonderful woman) keeps a plaque in her kitchen, which says. " A clean house is the sign of a sick mind." Funny, but I never got that when I was growing up: I thought she was admitting to being mentally off, because her house was always clean to me. I had to have a house of my own to appreciate the wisdom in that statement. :) And, btw, apparently I do not have a sick mind at all!

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 11:28 AM
My step-grandmother (a wonderful woman) keeps a plaque in her kitchen, which says. " A clean house is the sign of a sick mind." Funny, but I never got that when I was growing up: I thought she was admitting to being mentally off, because her house was always clean to me. I had to have a house of my own to appreciate the wisdom in that statement. :) And, btw, apparently I do not have a sick mind at all!

That's so funny, Deanna! Did you ever tell her you what you thought the sign meant? lol

Wilma
06-19-2010, 11:31 AM
I have never gotten the thing with wearing shoes. Shoes are bad for you carpet. So are bare feet, but I don't pay attention to that because I hate to wear shoes. Except for my Uggs, and it is too hot to wear those now. My kids are the same way. DH doesn't get it. But, he comes from my inlaws.

camaro
06-19-2010, 12:02 PM
We have a sign in our kitchen that says "I cleaned my house yesterday. I wish you could have seen it!"

In the past couple of days, we've dusted our entertainment center (a behemoth with many devices and trinkets) and cleaned the bathroom. Serious consideration was given to bringing in a shovel and the pressure washer. We joke that our next house will have a floor drain in the kitchen so we could easily pressure wash it.

Shoe
06-19-2010, 12:41 PM
I downloaded an app for my IPod Touch, but I haven't even tried to set it up yet, let alone put it into action.

That said, I have started (yesterday) a mega-clean of the whole house. I started in our bedroom-got rid of the clutter, vacuumed and steam cleaned the rugs, took down the curtains and washed and ironed them, dusted most accessible surfaces, and threw out about two large trash bags of garbage and two bags of recyclables. That took about 10 hours...and I haven't even reached our closet yet :(. I figure the whole house will take most of the summer, but with the housekeeping being my responsibility the last nine months, the house needs a total overhaul...either that or a bulldozer :D

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 02:57 PM
We joke that our next house will have a floor drain in the kitchen so we could easily pressure wash it. I always said that if I could design my own house, we would have a tray under it like in those birdcages so we can just pull the tray out and dump it instead of having to sweep and mop. Ugh. There was (is?) a restaurant in Mount Dora, FL called "Eduardo's Station", that has gaps between the planks so all the food crumbs and stuff fall though. I'm not sure how they clean it out, but I've always been envious of that system.

Snoopy
06-19-2010, 02:58 PM
I downloaded an app for my IPod Touch, but I haven't even tried to set it up yet, let alone put it into action.

That said, I have started (yesterday) a mega-clean of the whole house. I started in our bedroom-got rid of the clutter, vacuumed and steam cleaned the rugs, took down the curtains and washed and ironed them, dusted most accessible surfaces, and threw out about two large trash bags of garbage and two bags of recyclables. That took about 10 hours...and I haven't even reached our closet yet :(. I figure the whole house will take most of the summer, but with the housekeeping being my responsibility the last nine months, the house needs a total overhaul...either that or a bulldozer :D Holy White Tornado! When you run out of things to clean, you can always head down to my house, you hear? That's a lot of work!

Wilma
06-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I have a friend who built a house with her dh. She spent a good deal of time reading about how to build a house that was easy to keep clean. They have boys and she was intrigued with the idea of a cantilevered toilet so she could mop easily. He husband heard this and yelled, "This bathroom will be in a house, not an airports!"

jessicalb
06-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Great, Noah and I'll be over this afternoon since we don't have any plans and I'm raking my brain for something to do (guess I could give that cleaning a try, since you all are so fond of it). Will we be having snacks?

lol.

Come on over! I'll bake banana bread! :D