PDA

View Full Version : What was your favorite field trip? Community event?

LAR
08-20-2012, 02:28 PM
We joined our first co-op this month, and I find myself involved with a committee to plan field trips, as well as a monthly community-volunteer activity. Our girls listed their favorite trips as the fire station tour, alpaca farm, county airport, and museums. What are some of your favorite trips? How about community service programs?

farrarwilliams
08-20-2012, 04:11 PM
We do field trips all the time. We are field trip addicts. But we also have a plethora of museums of choose from.

Other than that, hikes are always really good and nature walks. Also, any kind of picking at a farm. We've done a lot of living history field trips and historic houses and that's good.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
08-20-2012, 04:39 PM
My daughter likes anything to do with animals--nature sanctuary, farm, zoo, or the live animal center at the Museum of Science. Both kids loved the planetarium this summer. Art museums they can take or leave though.

LAR
08-20-2012, 05:40 PM
I really like the idea of living history field trips. I'll work on that one. Thanks.

Does anyone volunteer? Any community service projects?

skrink
08-21-2012, 12:25 PM
A local university opens up their herp lab, aquarium and gardens for free tours. The kids got to handle all kinds of animals and check out rare plants from around the world - very well received!! We've started doing trail cleanup at some of the nearby metroparks, and dd is almost old enough to start volunteering with a group at the local humane society. And, in a few years, there are highly sought after volunteer positions (for teens) at the zoo that she'd go crazy for.

dottieanna29
08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
We've done Fire Station, Bug Museum, Museum of Natural History, Whole Foods, Mineral Museum and dumpsite, Petco, commercial bakery. Upcoming we're going to try Apple Store, Panera bakery tour, planetarium, rafting on the Delaware, Fossil Hunting. Most of these we're doing with our 4-H group.

bovinesituation
08-22-2012, 06:13 PM
We haven't done any field trips, but my kids love farms where you can pick stuff (we have one nearby that you can pick strawberries in the spring and pumpkins in the fall).

Sionnon
08-26-2012, 09:51 PM
We love Renaissance Faire's. We go to the Zoo, on Nature Walks etc all the time but I rarely call them field trips. I guess we could. Seems like everything is a learning experience.

farrarwilliams
08-26-2012, 11:36 PM
We haven't done any field trips, but my kids love farms where you can pick stuff (we have one nearby that you can pick strawberries in the spring and pumpkins in the fall).

But isn't that a "field trip"? I seriously count everything - every museum, every farm, every state park, every hike...

wendygrace
08-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Let's see Whole Foods, Fire Dept, Police Dept, restaurants, college radio station, zoo, museums, living history museums, nature parks, wolf rehabilitation center, animal shelter, veterinary office, doctor's office, dentist's office, water reclamation plant, farms, forest preserves, wild flower preserves, apple picking orchards, library, airport, hospital, brewery, milk company, ice cream factory, toy factory...

As for service, my kids love Feed My Starving Children (they are christian but we talked about it ahead of time and we step out when they pray for the food). We also do homeless shelters, food pantries, giving trees, neighborhood clean-ups and park clean-ups.

LAR
08-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Fabulous list, wendygrace! Some great ideas. Thanks so much.