PDA

View Full Version : Are there any math competitions/leagues for upper elem?

kohlby
08-19-2012, 11:21 AM
I searched online and wasn't able to find much other than Math Olympiad - and it says it's for teams, not individuals. And there's rules about what makes up a team anyway.

My son is in 4th grade so he's too young for mathcounts. Also mathcounts allows just 3 years olf competition so I want to wait until 6th grade to give him that advantage. He's very gifted in math and I think it would be a good opportunity for him to have some fun in math competitions - whether ones that allow individual students or ones that have teams. (Other than Math Olympiad since I've asked all over and there's none of those here). I'm not opposed to math competitions that are for middle school that will let him in as long as they don't limit the number of years a student can participate.

Sionnon
08-19-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't know what is available, but I am hoping someone does. My ds12 would love Math competitions too.

dbmamaz
08-19-2012, 01:39 PM
check the Art of Problem Solving website. they are all about math and competitions, if anyone knows, i would think they would

farrarwilliams
08-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Can you put together a team?

Or could you put together a small time little tournament for other homeschoolers? When I was teaching, I used to run a 24 Tournament.

belacqua
08-19-2012, 03:17 PM
The American Statistical Org. has a project competition (http://www.amstat.org/education/posterprojects/index.cfm) that's open to younger kids.

Purple Comet (http://purplecomet.org/home/home) is a team competition, but you can enter a team of one student. It's divided into middle school and high school divisions, but it seems like there's no lower age limit for middle school.

You're correct, though, that there aren't many competitions for the younger kids, especially those who want to compete as individuals. Lots of kids start with the AMC exams around Grade 5, so that might be worth looking into. If your son wants to do competition math in high school, any previous experience with the AMCs would be valuable.

kohlby
08-20-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure where to ask on the AoPS boards. They don't have an elem board, but I could ask at the risk being told it was the wrong place if nothing else. Their competition boards are a little overwhelming and what I've looked through is all middle/high school. (But I haven't read every single thread. Also, their curriculum is geared towards advanced kids starting in grade 6 and up - which is where there's an issue since ODS is not in grade 6).

I do not want to put together a team. First, Math Olympiad wouldn't be recognized as an official team since it needs to be from an official homeschool organization to count. Secondly, I'd need more kids! And thirdly, I don't want to take on anything else. I had to start a weekly homeschool playgroup due to the need. I had to become a Girl Scout leader due to the need. I don't want to start anything else right now.

There is someone who runs a homeschool Math Counts team here, but again, I want to wait until 6th grade for that. (Also, that's through a Christian organization that I refuse to join. However, my state - SC - recently passed a law allowing homeschoolers to do public school activities so I'll be seeing if he can do Math Counts through the local middle school).

I'll look into Purple Comet.

DadTeaches
08-23-2012, 07:12 PM
My boys (last year in 1st and 3rd) both competed in Math Kangaroo last school year, and enjoyed it. It's difficult, with the average score usually falling below 50%, but it really forces them to apply math skills.

Sionnon
08-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Math Kangaroo has a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Math-Kangaroo-in-USA/124767219898). Looks interesting.

dbmamaz
08-23-2012, 08:32 PM
no locations within 2 hours of me tho

farrarwilliams
08-23-2012, 09:25 PM
There is near me though... Help me understand what it is though - their webpage is a bit of a mess. Is it an actual competition, or just students taking a test and the best results wins you stuff? To me there's a subtle difference...

DadTeaches
08-24-2012, 07:16 AM
It's a test. All students get a shirt, certificate, etc., for participating. Tests are sent off and scored, and they have state and national winners.

Sionnon
08-24-2012, 11:17 AM
It is an annual test. All kids get participation award and T shirt. Winners can win a trip, and I think some kind of small scholarship award. I am trying to get more information from a local home school Mom whose kids have done it before. I am interested in it for my two boys as well and there are some testing centers in reasonable driving distance from me.

DadTeaches
08-24-2012, 03:29 PM
If you're considering the Math Kangaroo, I would strongly recommend that you order the old tests to use as a study guide. The problems are not your typical math problems covered in most curricula. I just took the old problems and gave my boys one each day-- called it the 'problem of the day', and they got a treat if they got it right. That really helped them on test day.

dbmamaz
08-24-2012, 08:42 PM
yeah, there are some math competitions which are just tests . . . i took one when i was in 8th grade and again in 10th, but did better in 8th. i felt like it was just a coincidence, i got problems which made sense to me intuitively