PDA

View Full Version : Testing and Assessment for various grade levels

Vrindavan
08-17-2012, 09:56 PM
- Testing and Assessment for various grade level and subjects.
- Learning Style Assessment

Are there free options online ?
Or test /exam papers to Download and DIY way ?

Also what are the paid options too? online or paper based.

i found the following items from amazon search,
are they good to use ? any others ?
why i cannot find anything beyond grade 8 ? Is that i have to use a different keyword to search ?
Thanks for help.

Science Test Practice, Grade 8 (Spectrum Science Test Practice)
Spectrum Test Practice, Grade 7
Spectrum Test Practice, Grade 8
8th Grade Reading Comprehension and Writing Skills Test

farrarwilliams
08-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Depending on where you live, in many states, homeschoolers can take the state standardized tests. Or you can just order one - some are as little as $15. The CAT and the ITBS are two common ones.

After middle school, most standardized testing becomes subject specific (as in, a student no longer has to pass a grade level battery of tests - they have to pass the algebra I standardized test, etc.) so perhaps that's why?

Oh, and there are lots of free multiple intelligences and learning styles "tests" or inventories online. Just do a search and they'll turn up. There are more in depth ones you can pay for, but unless there's a specific issue...

Actually, if you say what you want from testing and how old your kids are, that might be helpful. :D

Vrindavan
08-17-2012, 10:21 PM
>> Actually, if you say what you want from testing and how old your kids are, that might be helpful.

The local education authority in my country will monitor or home visit homeschooling cases twice a year. So i am into believe giving them "more" is better than none.

So i am looking for ways to let him do some self administered testing and scoring. He will be 13 in a few months.

Vrindavan
08-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Is this test popular for homeschoolers ?

Stanford Achievement Test Series 10 (SAT10) from the USA

farrarwilliams
08-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Got it. Yeah, the Stanford is a solid test and is listed by pretty much every state that requires testing. I would think that would satisfy. Now I remember that you were asking about accredited programs and your country. I hope this works out for you. Sounds like it's new territory for your government.

Vrindavan
08-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Are they similar in standard ?
California Achievement Test (CAT) vs
Stanford Achievement Test

Which one is costing as little as $15 ?

farrarwilliams
08-18-2012, 09:45 AM
I think it's generally considered that the CAT is a tiny bit easier, but they're equally well respected, I would say.

I'm not sure which one is so cheap though, because I don't have to test. I just know you can get one for almost nothing like that - I think from one of the Christian publishers. But not to be confusing - the test is secular, it's just that a Christian publisher is the one buying the bulk from the testing people, who usually only sell big orders to schools, and then selling to homeschoolers. But there must be other options too. Anyone?

dbmamaz
08-18-2012, 01:16 PM
the CAT test is $25 where I get it, from Seton Testing - but thats because they are local. there is a christian publisher who does it on line. are you sure there arent any testing companies in your country you could use? or maybe a retired school teacher who would do some sort of evaluation (this is another option in my state, other than a test - an evaluation from a licensed teacher to say you are making adequate progress)

jess
08-18-2012, 01:37 PM
For a free option, they have released standardized test questions at CST Released Test Questions - Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) (CA Dept of Education) (http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/css05rtq.asp). However, they're of slightly limited usefulness as there's no way of translating score to percentile (that I'm aware of).

Pawz4me
08-18-2012, 01:38 PM
You can get the paper or online version of the 1970 CAT from Christian Liberty for $25.

Link (http://www.shopchristianliberty.com/testing-service/)

I've never used the online testing option, but have used the paper version for six years. They're very prompt in mailing the testing materials out and in doing the grading.

dbmamaz
08-18-2012, 02:09 PM
(she's out of the country tho)

Vrindavan
08-18-2012, 09:26 PM
>> (she's out of the country tho)

not understand.

i like Jess's free option

For my country, homeschooling is in general not permitted due to CS legislation. I asked a number of families how they handled the Government officials. One family did the test from USA annually.

There is no rules for what you need to do or have to do in order to satisfy them. So i just think of adding self administered test/exam.

Emily Cook
08-20-2012, 09:09 AM
We test every year due to the homeschool laws here and I've always used the CAT test from Seton. It's fairly inexpensive at $25 per test, but they are very fast - from ordering the tests to receiving the results it's usually only a few weeks.

Vrindavan
09-01-2012, 12:10 PM
do they set a time limit to complete a REAL test paper ?
CST Released Test Questions - Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) (CA Dept of Education) (http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/css05rtq.asp)