PDA

View Full Version : Making Copies

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I was wondering if I am the only one that doesn't let their kid actually do any work in a work book LOL I'm so cheap! I make copies of anything out of a workbook so I can use the book again or if by chance we need to do something more then once to understand it I will have that option. Anyone else do this? I just use one of those all in one printers I don't like go anywhere to do it, am I being completely ridiculous?

wild_destiny
06-17-2010, 07:11 PM
That is so funny, because I don't let my kids write in workbooks either. They are just too expensive and I have several students that need to use the same set of books. Usually I make them write it out by hand--or if that won't work for the format, then I have them answer it orally. We still do the work, just not in the workbooks. Guess I'm cheap too.

Shoe
06-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm too lazy to make copies, and it takes too much time for the kids to write out everything separately, so I order separate books for each. I tried this year, for a very short time, to have my son write out the questions and answers in one workbook, but it just wasn't feasible for us.

EDIT: The cost of paper and toner to copy some of these workbooks can also add up to more than the cost of the book sometimes. Not always, but sometimes.

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Yeah I agree they cost too much money and with having another kid I know can use them I figure why not? A while back my mom bought Lucy one of those books to practice your letters it somehow got put into the stack with her other coloring stuff and she started doing all the pages I flipped out LOL! My husband and brother looked at me like I was insane! It was mostly because she already knew how OCD I am about it LOL

Sarbare0704
06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm too lazy to make copies, and it takes too much time for the kids to write out everything separately, so I order separate books for each. I tried this year, for a very short time, to have my son write out the questions and answers in one workbook, but it just wasn't feasible for us.

EDIT: The cost of paper and toner to copy some of these workbooks can also add up to more than the cost of the book sometimes. Not always, but sometimes.

That is a good point too! I guess maybe when we are doing more work when she is older that may come into account but so far she really isn't doing too much out of workbooks yet.

jessicalb
06-17-2010, 07:25 PM
If I had an easy way to copy pages I would. We tear all the pages out of the workbooks anyway, because Alex is easily overwhelmed. He much prefers to work on a couple of sheets of paper rather than a big book. Copies would save a lot of hassle and I could resell the books. It's just not something I could find the time or energy for right now, I don't think. :)

camaro
06-17-2010, 08:05 PM
We make copies when practical. If we can buy a book as a downloadable e-book, that's even easier. We just print out as many copies as we need and skip pages if we don't need them. There are occasional books we'll just "use up" and buy new if it looks like it will be too much effort/expense to copy. Although we've been printing on a laser printer for a few years, our copying machine was an inkjet multi-function machine. This spring we needed new toner for the laser and at the same time found a good buy ($150) on a laser multifunction so went for that instead. We find lasers keep the cost per page lower. I think we got two years out of our last toner cartridge.

Shoe
06-17-2010, 08:09 PM
We make copies when practical. If we can buy a book as a downloadable e-book, that's even easier. We just print out as many copies as we need and skip pages if we don't need them. There are occasional books we'll just "use up" and buy new if it looks like it will be too much effort/expense to copy. Although we've been printing on a laser printer for a few years, our copying machine was an inkjet multi-function machine. This spring we needed new toner for the laser and at the same time found a good buy ($150) on a laser multifunction so went for that instead. We find lasers keep the cost per page lower. I think we got two years out of our last toner cartridge.

Yeah, I like my laser printer too. Most of my literature lessons this year were downloaded in pdf format, and I've just printed off two copies of each of the worksheets for my kids. I used to use my inkjet printer (which has multifunctions), but not only was it more expensive per page, but it takes a lot longer. Now I only use it if I have to print something in colour.

schwartzkari
06-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Yep, I make copies of worksheets every Monday morning. LOL! My son will start homeschooling in 1 to 2 years and I want to reuse as much curriculum as possible.

StartingOver
06-17-2010, 10:06 PM

I am with you, it just isn't worth the effort. Execept for the student pages from SOTW !! And some stuff that I get online which doesn't come in printed form, only pdf.

Snoopy
06-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I agree with Shoe, it takes TOO LONG and costs too much to make copies. I used to, thinking that I would resell the books, but I don't, I end up giving them away so... this year I decided to save myself the hassle and expense and Noah has been using the workbooks. It was kind of liberating, but then again I don't have another one coming after him. I vaguely thought of keeping stuff pristine for future grandchildren but I scared myself really badly with that line of thinking (my babies are too young to have babies!) so we're happily using the workbooks.

David, I WISH my laser cartridge lasted me so long. I used to have an old HP laserjet that I loved and I changed the cartridge maybe once a year, but now I have a smaller Brother and I have to change the toner once every month it seems. The toner is cheaper for the Brother (1/2 price compared to Laserjet). I have an HP Color Inkjet for color printing (which I rarely do).