PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ya'll ~ From the Low Country

salina1976
06-17-2010, 05:51 PM
My name is Salina. I have a wonderful husband and 2 fantastic children. We also has several four legged family members.

My husband and I have been considering home school, but were dismayed at how much of the curriculum was religion based. All of my friends who are either considering hs or are already.. have their church or other families who are like minded. I feel a bit like an odd duck.

Our oldest is almost 3, so we still have a little bit of time to iron things out. I am following several great blogs who offer ideas of crafts, creative play, letter/number of the week... does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything you can think of that I should start now.. to make it habit by the time school actually comes around?

I am trying to get all my ducks, be they odd or not, in a row so that I can get prepared for "pre-school".

http://therobbinszoo.blogspot.com/

Shoe
06-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi Salina and welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find a lot of great information and support here. I'm not sure what to recommend for preschoolers-It's been a long time since mine were that little. I think we used a lot of flashcards and some kind of electronic computer like toy (Leap Frog maybe??-I don't remember) to help get them started on reading and math (some of the flashcards related to arithmetic). And we read to the kids all the time. They heard Dr. Seuss at bedtime and during the day. My wife also really liked to read them a series of books based on the alphabet (the "A" book, the "B" book), though I can't remember the author or publisher.

MamaB2C
06-18-2010, 09:50 AM
I have a DS who is 4, and have been looking into homeschooling since he was a baby. I finally realized that I was already homeschooing him, just by being a parent. So are you!

Specifics I suggest at this age: Read, read, read, explore nature and offer observations/explanations, answer questions with the correct information even if it seems beyond their understanding (like answering "why is there day and night" involved a flashlight and tennis ball, and he will tell anyone now that the Earth both rotates and orbits the sun :)), introduce letters and numbers (we used Starfall.com and games at that age, the LeapFrog videos were also amazingly helpful)

Topsy
06-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Hi Salina! We're so glad you are here!! You are definitely getting an "early bird" start on things, which is exciting, I know!! I personally don't recommend much formal curriculum until they are around 5 or 6, but if they are interested in learning formal stuff, it's definitely out there and available. Do a search on "preschool" on our forum search and you will find some great threads that list some helpful info.

BTW - - we LOVE the low country!! I hope to get to make a little jaunt down there later this fall!! :)

jessicalb
06-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Welcome! If I was homeschooling a preschooler, I would play play play! Read a lot and investigate the world, sing songs and watch nature shows and do fun stuff together. I wouldn't do anything formal until a lot later. :)

pandahoneybee
06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Welcome Salina, i also do not have a preschooler anymore but there are two places that you could check out to see if there are any ideas from other families with preschoolers. First is our http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources it has alot of good curriculum on there for you to look at and then there is a site time4learning that has a dedicated preK to 2 parent forum (http://time4learning.net/forum/prek-2/). We used the leapster alot with both the boys when they were that age and also alot of reading (like Shoe said).

Here is another site that had some good looking sites for you to check out;) http://webtech.kennesaw.edu/jcheek3/lilones.htm

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the group :)

Melissa541
06-18-2010, 03:43 PM
I feel a little silly welcoming you, since I'm still pretty new around here myself, so I'll just say Hi! :)

As secular homeschoolers in Texas, we're definitely a minority & it's SO awesome to be able to come here & not be the weird one. Well, we might still be weird, but for reasons I can accept. :) I hope you like it as much as I do.

I don't do much formal with my pre-schooler; nor did I when my elder daughter was that age. As others have, we read A LOT. Like, constantly. I'm convinced my nine year old picked up reading so easily & loves to read because books have always been present, every single day of her life.

My four year old does enjoy projects & "doing school" for a bit while her big sister is doing her stuff, so I have a few workbooks on a shelf for her & she can pick one to work in. She chooses when, which & how much. I've also ordered from Carol's Affordable Curriculum. It's geared mainly toward in-home childcare providers, but I like it because a whole months' worth of projects & teaching resources come in a box; everything but scissors, glue & crayons! I really appreciate not having to get it all together; it's already ready already. :)

She also enjoys taking part in the science experiments her sister does. There are loads of books filled with easy science experiments; that would be fun.

Have a great time exploring & learning with your little one! :)

firefly
06-18-2010, 11:13 PM
How cool!!! "Fireflies" by Owl City plays on your site! My kids rocked out! Judging by all your creative pics you were meant for this job!

Im from SC & spent years in the Low Country and have close family that still live there! Howdy neighbor! You come back now ya hear?

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 11:49 PM
How cool!!! "Fireflies" by Owl City plays on your site! My kid’s rocked out!
Oh yeah! Aimee, Noah and I love that song (although Noah and I always comment that it makes no sense whatsoever!) and we all have it on our MP3's and iPods so it's playing in the car daily, lol.

salina1976
06-19-2010, 08:45 AM
HOLY CONNLI!! Thank You everyone for the very warm welcome.
I am so excited to have found this site. I have a huge selection of blogs that have given me some great ideas for creative learning. Between my blogger friends, free printable sites, and my library card.. I should be good for a little while :o) Since these sweet little creature are still pretty young, it's all about making things fun and getting dirty.
Since I have time to do my research and get my bearings.. I should have a pretty decent grasp of what I'm going to do when the time comes.
Our daughter already knows things that kids a year ahead of her know. And most of her friends go to Montessori school. All from just answering her questions to the best of my knowledge.. and if I don't know, we find it out together :)
Thank You again for the warm welcome! It's good to know that there is a place that I can go for help
Salina

salina1976
06-19-2010, 08:49 AM
How cool!!! "Fireflies" by Owl City plays on your site! My kid’s rocked out! Judging by all your creative pics – you were meant for this job!

I’m from SC & spent years in the Low Country and have close family that still live there! Howdy neighbor! You come back now – ya hear?
Awww THANK YOU!!!
LOL. I never heard it until I saw a clip of a guy dancing to it on So You Think You Can Dance. Between HIM and the song.. I was inspired. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VNkoFajlU ) LOVE LOVE LOVE that song. :)
I also love some of the BNL songs like Crazy ABC's and 789.
Thanks for visiting our blog. It has always just been a way for the family to keep up with what we are getting into. LOL Everyone lives at least 3 1/2 hours away. But now.. it has given me away to connect with some other families and share some pretty fun ideas. :)